Pain
I have been off work since May with lower back pain and nerve pain from right groin to right great toe.  MRI showed inflamed lumar ligament, bulging disc at L4/5 and arthritis in the SI joint. Completed 3 steroid injections with little relief, now on 600mg neurotin tid and elavil 10mg at night to help with sleep. Lying down is the only postion that helps relieve the pain.  The neurosurgeon is unsure if surgery would help the pain and wanted to change to a different physical therapy treatment facility (I have been having PT since June). The pain Dr, gave me information on Neurostimulation Therapy, I am frustrated on nothing working up to this point. Had a EMG done and it showed only slight problems.  I work as a RN, and I am concerned that I will need to look for a different career, or end up living with this pain.  Any suggestions?
Hi there!

Well, surgery is typically suggested in moderate cases if conservative management does not seem to help after 6 months of vigorous therapy. If regular pain medications do not seem to help, I would suggest seeing a pain management specialist for adequate pain management, while physiotherapy to strengthen back muscles is best continued.
Hope this is helpful.

Take  care!