Back & Neck Community
Persistent, electrocuting neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Persistent, electrocuting neck pain

I'm at my wits end.  I don't know where to go anymore.  It's been 3 months of doctors (which I know may not sound like a long time to some folks) and about 4 months of pain so far.

I have had this horrible and sometimes truly debilitating pain in my neck - left side right in the middle - for a very long time.  In the beginning it was accompanied by numbness & tingling which has subsided.

I figured it was a pinched nerve, but because of the numbness especially in my face, my primary doctor wouldn't see me and sent me to the ER (thinking stroke).  of course, no stroke and ER said pinched serve - see Neuro.

Neuro said NO pinched nerve.  Thought it was either a mass or a tear in carotid sheath.  Ordered 2 MRIs and 2 CTs.  Those showed neither a tear nor a mass - but did show several enlarged lymphnodes.  Sent me to ENT.

ENT felt several lumps in neck & shoulder (likely the enlarged lymph nodes) and thought it might be a sub-dermal infection.  Put me on antibiotics.

Finished the course of antibiotics and I'm WORSE.  My neck pain (which feels like I'm being electrocuted all day, every day) is unbearable.  I also now have a return of my migraine headaches (used to get them all the time, but haven't for a looong time) as well as EXTREME fatigue (which is a new symptom).  I literally slept ALL weekend and I'm still SO tired.

Other things that were "thrown out there" by neuro included getting a mammogram, but when I tried to schedule it I was told the neuro doc had to schedule it - and he wouldn't until I finished working with ENT.  I called him - but he hasn't called back.

I called ENT and he said it's obviously not an infection and he doesn't know what else to do with me.  Sent me back to neuro who I'm waiting to hear back from.

Of course, I did the absolute WRONG thing and googled it - came up with a variety of cancers and other bad things - that fit my symptoms.  At this point, I don't even CARE what the diagnosis is - I just want A diagnosis and treatment to feel better, you know?!
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your pain. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural abnormalities, neuro-muscular issues, inflammation, degeneration, injuries, growths/ masses etc. With associated numbness/ tingling neural issues would need to be ruled out as well. I would suggest having this evaluated by an orthopedician or a neurologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile you could try warm compresses and/ or tylenol or OTC NSAIDS for relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!