Back & Neck Community
Pillow help for sore neck, back and shoulder!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

whats the best pillow for neck, shoulder and back pain? When I lie down I get a sore neck and my shoulder can play up from time to time also which spreads to my back. Could you advise me of the best pillow that I could get please? Its a big stress for me sometimes getting a good night sleep!
Hi there! I just bought two different types of "neck pillows". One is a straight, cylindrical shape that is supposed to fit in the curve of your neck. The other is a C-shaped one similar to what they sell at airports because the inside of the C is where your neck goes, a lot of people use these on planes.

Anyway, the main thing is what position you sleep in. I was a stomach sleeper with my head turned to the side. I read an article that kind of put that in perspective. Would I spend my day with my head turned all the way to the side like that? How do I think that would feel at the end of the day? Duh! Light bulb moment for me :) So I have been trying to train myself to be a back sleeper because I heard that's the best position. The C-shaped pillow has been ideal for this. I slip it around my neck, the middle of the C goes in the small of my neck so that my head touches the bed, don't lay your head ON the pillow though, that defeats the purpose. It has helped.

Lastly, I've bought pillows in the past that have been too squishy. That memory foam crap doesn't do it for people like us. It's comfy, but not practical. Get a firmer one. Nothing with foam, nothing with microbeads, just a regular pillow-feeling pillow.

Hope this helps! Oh, by the way, I found my pillows at Bed, Bath & Beyond, I wanted to physically FEEL them and their firmness before I bought them.... Good luck!

Erin

The Temperpedic pillow is wonderful.  It's what my chiropractor suggested, and it is the best thing I've ever used.  And, I have significant muscle/skelatal issues.