Back & Neck Community
Pilonidal Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pilonidal Cyst

Im a 16 year old female and i was informed by a MD that i have a Pilonidal Cyst. Now i've been to the hospital countless times for drainage and packaging of the cyst. I have a hard time sleeping and sitting do to this cyst on my tailbone. What do i do to get rid of this for good? I strongly dislike the whole procedure of the drainage! Is there anyway i don't have to keep coming back to the hospital to get the reoccuring absess (abscess) lanced?? And what caused it?
Pilonidal cysts result from a small sinus tract or dimple at the top of the crease between the buttocks.  Originally they were thought to be a congenital defect but more often than not they are acquired.  The cyst forms when debris (sometimes hair) collects in the tract and becomes infected.  The result is what appears to be a boil on the top of the skin.
Lancing and drainage of the cyst may provide temporary relief, but in my own personal experience surgery to remove the entire capsule of the cyst was needed to prevent the cyst from coming back.
The surgery itself is a bit more involved and does require hospitalization and anesthesia -- a lot more than you get with the drainage procedure.  Mine was done at the age of 17 and I have never been bothered with any form of cyst/boil development since.  I am now >60 yrs young, so it would appear that I am "cured".
The position of the cyst at the base of your spine and located on the crack between your buttock cheeks is the reason for all the pain and discomfort.  Sitting is a major deal!
Surgery involves removing the entire cyst capsule and allowing the wound to heal from secondary intention --- open with packing, but heals rather quickly.  The first few days postop I did a lot of kneeling and using a donut pillow support when attempting to sit.

If you want to learn more than you will ever need to know about the subject, there is a web site that was initiated by a young female of your age who felt that not enough information was available to others,  She has documented numerous resources and articles (with illustrations ---ick!) but it explains the causes, treatment options and how to manage with recurrent cysts if surgery is not done.  There is also a group support forum with personal stories from others experiencing pilonidal cysts and how they managed pre-op and post-op or hygienic methods used to reduce recurrent cysts if non-surgical treatment elected.  (Personally, surgery was the only way to go for me)

Check out www.pilonidal.org and join in the forum.  It will make you feel immensely better that you are not alone.
Best wishes ----