Back & Neck Community
Pinched Nerve, Semi Normal MRI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pinched Nerve, Semi Normal MRI

I just had a discetomy done at the L5-S1 that did nothing for my lower back/pelvic/butt pain, done about 2 months ago. The pain seems to be coming from above the L5-S1, which I mentioned to the doctor before the surgery. My Mri shows some small endplate spurring (left paracentral) and a disc bulge on the right side L4-L5 but my pain is on the left side, radiating into the left buttocks and pelvis.

The right L4-L5 disc bulge is probably because I lean on the right side to take pressure off the left side.

Just had a Left L5 nerve block which removed all my pain for about an hour, then I had nasty tingling and burning about an inch above the injection site (L4-L5 area) with still alot of relief below the nerve block (as to be expected).

Since I had a CT scan and two MRIs over 10 years which showed little, how do I prove/justify a surgery at the left L4-L5? Im getting nerve testing done soon but I have little faith in that from what others have said.

I feel like I have a bone spur or forminal narrowing at the left L4-L5. My doctor says the L5 nerve could be pinched in 3 different areas, on the side of the L5-S1, or L4-L5, or as it passes centrally at the L3 area.

Im not looking for sob stories, but some medical tests/ procedures to help me narrow this down diagnostically. I hate that physicians really believe MRI's are incapable of missing a problem.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. If the MRI is not showing anything and if the NCV is fine, then the pain could be arising from the hip joint or from the ischial spine. Another possibility is ischiogluteal bursitis. This is inflammation of the bursa that lies between the ischial tuberosity of the pelvic bone and the tendon of hamstring muscle. The bursa may show inflammation without any cause or in association with hamstring tendinitis or inflammation of tendon of hamstring. The pain increases on stretching. Myofascial pain or trigger points in the Gluteus medius muscle and Piriformis muscles of the buttock can cause pain in the buttock area which may radiate to thighs. Stretching the muscle increases the pain. Pain can also be due to hip joint arthritis.
Please discuss these possibilities with your doctor and an othropedic specialist. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.