Back & Neck Community
Pinched Nerve C6 through C7

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pinched Nerve C6 through C7

I am a 41 year old woman.  My problem began just over 16 years ago when I suffered several traumatic injuries over the course of the 9 previous years.  I was out of work for 2 years due to pain before there was enough relief to return to the workforce.  From that point till about a year ago, my back would "go out" several times a year and I would have pain from 2 days up to 2 weeks before the pain would be relieved.

About a year ago, I reached for something at work(I have a medical desk job) and my back " went out".   I got insurance and went to my doctor.  I had an EMG which showed that I do have a pinched nerve that extends through C6 and C7.  

My symptoms include neck pain that radiates down my right arm all the way through my middle finger on my right hand. Occasional headaches that occur when my neck pain is bad and is localized in my left temple(though I do also have cysts in my sinuses and that may be associated with those) I also have random (for lack of a better word) spasm of my right hand that is followed by my hand not functioning at all for 1-5 minutes.

The following tests have all showed normal:  MRI of my upper back(small area of mild osteoarthritis), MRI of my neck, MRI of my brain, EEG, No Lupus, No Lyme, No Thyroid problem.

I have a pain management/spinal doctor and a neurologist.  

I had an epidural (cortisone ) treatment which was excrutiating and actually caused my pain to worsen.I am on Lyrica, Mobic, Baclofen(to help me sleep) and pain meds that we are still trying to find the right one to manage my pain and allow me to function.

It appears at this point that the trauma caused the pinched nerve since all the other tests have come back normal.   I have been hoping that my doctors could find something to "fix" but so far nothing.  

I don't know if anyone has run across a case similar to mine and may have more ideas as to treatment or testing.  

I have been in constant pain for almost a year and my pain dictates what I can or can not do in my life.  I would love to be back to "normal" and off all meds or find a medication that is affordable and works so I can enjoy more of my life and my family.
Tags: pinched nerve, C6-C7, chronic neck pain, radiating right arm pain
Hi there!

The EMG cannot typically diagnose a pinched nerve, though it can suggest neurological issues. A pinched nerve is typically identified with imaging studies such as the MRI. With normal neck MRI and abnormal EMG/ NCS, nerve impingement at a lower level is a likely possibility. Imaging studies further down the course may be required to identify the level of impingement. I would also suggest getting evaluated for muscular issues and micronutrient deficiencies and endocrine/ hormonal/ metabolic issues. After the exact issue is identified, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!