Back & Neck Community
Pinched nerve after back surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pinched nerve after back surgery

I had back surgery almost 4 months ago to fuse L3L4and maybe L5. They put some titanium rods/screws in my back.  I had some minor pain in my back about 6 months before surgery and slight numbness in my shin.    I saw two Dr.s.   And they recommended surgery but I decided to wait and see if it would get worse.

Anyway.  I exercised, skied and snowboarded all winter with no problems.  In fact, my back was feeling better.   Then I went to tie my shoe and wham.  I was in excruciating pain. My leg wasn't numb though and I walked into the ER.

I had back surgery a few days later.  After surgery my back felt better, but my left leg was completely numb. Over the last 4 months I've done PT and I can walk and Go up and down stairs, but I still have many areas of my left leg that are numb. I also have some numbness in my right big toe.   The strength in my left leg seems to have plateaued.

So I went to another dr. And got an MRI and an EMG.  The EMG shows that I have a couple of pinched nerves.  The dr. said that if I had surgery, it would be more investigative, because he couldn't tell exactly what was happening.  He said that probability of finding/fixing it was only about 60%.

I really don't know what to do.  I'm a skier and I like riding a bicycle.  It doesn't seem like i'll be able to do these things unless a DR finds something.   Then again, maybe it will just take time and the nerves will get better?  The thing that sticks in my mind is that my leg was strong and not numb right before surgery.  

Any ideas?
I also had a herniated disc in my L3L4. My pain was in my left leg then changed to my right leg within a couple of days my right foot went completely dead. I now have drop foot and cannot move my right foot upward at all. I had surgery to help with the pain but my foot is still not working.     It has been 3 weeks and no change at all in the foot but the back pain is gone. I hope you recover soon and please keep updating your post so I can see how your recovery is going. Best of luck to you.