Piriformis Syndrome or Ischiogluteal Bursitis?
I've been treated for buttock pain starting in December 07.  I've had the pain since April 2007.  My history:  I'm female, 37 years old, two pregnancies.  I am active and participate in triathlons, last year was my first season.  I've been a longtime runner, and have never experienced this type of pain.  I met with a chiropractor in 12/07 and had x-rays - he told me I had a partial sacralization of my L5, and a greater degree of curvature to my lower back (the degree escapes me now).  The chiro appointments had no relief for me, and I discontinued this course of therapy.

I've met with a physiotherapist and have had physical therapy for 3 months, numerous injections of lidocaine into the piriformis, SI joint and the ischial tuberosity.  I've had injections of licodaine and corticosteriod into my SI joint (left side) and ischial bursae (I hope I got this right).  This injection had the greatest degree of pain relief, but it did come back within a month and a half.

The pain is worsened by sitting for a long time - piriformis stretches help.  (crossed leg stretch, pigeon pose)  My question is whether or not continued corticosteroid injections would help, or should I try something different?  My gait is affected when the pain is at its worst.  My doctor recommends an MRI in 6 weeks if the pain has not improved.

Is my short-lived triathlon career over?  

A related discussion, piriformis injections? was started.