Back & Neck Community
Please Please Help with my severe numbness and pain in hands and finger...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Please Please Help with my severe numbness and pain in hands and fingers.... HELP PLEASE

I have had extremely bad numbness in my fingers and now has spread to my hands and severe wrist pain. I cannot sleep thru the night, and the numbness is occurring about 10 hours a day. I have no injuries, no health problems, and this has been going on for about a month and half now. I'm stuck in Florida and cannot see my doctor in Texas for awhile yet. I have really gotten worried, and I am hurting so bad. I am a horsetrainer, and this is affecting my ability to work in a very bad way.

WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS NUMBNESS AND SEVERE PAIN?

Like I said, I cannot sleep thru the night because I wake up with my hands just aching horribly and have to get up to get circulation enough to get rid of the numbness. Please if you have any ideas post them, I really need some feedback. Thanks for reading....
Alicia
There could be a wide variety of issues going on. Can you describe in better detail your pain(location and type)? Have you had any neck or shoulder problems in the past? Some possible issues are pinched nerves in you neck or shoulder, Disc Herniation, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, Arthritis, Carpal Tunnel or other things. My advice to you would be to go and see a MD in FL or go to the ER. It could be a vascular issue that is cutting off blood flow to you extremities. How old are you?
Carpal Tunnel sounds like a coulprit but I think that getting it in both hands would be very rare. I am with the other poster, you probably need to see someone sooner that what you have planned!
sorry about the delay.  I am 21 years old, and am extremely active.  I broke my tailbone awhile ago, but there have not been any problems from that.  My pain is very excruciating in my wrist, left only.  I do not get the pain in my right wrist, but the numbness is soo bad in both hands.  I am having problems typing right now, because I cannot even feel my fingers.  I'm soo scared about this, because I am a horsetrainer.  Thanks for your advice.  Please write back soon.  What kind of doctor should I see?
I have had carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve displacement.  You probably really use your wrist more than you know and a wrist splint with a metal support will help at night and while you are training, you can get them at the drug store.  Aleve could help, however, nothing really helped me with pain.  If your thumb and first finger are numb it can be your wrist.  If the little finger and the next 2 are numb  it can be your elbow.  Only giving info based on what I was told for my specific problem.  Try sleeping with your arms up and don't lay on them. Sounds definately like a nerve is being compressed
Hi Alicia;

You might first consider seeing a neurologist,  possibly a
physiatrist, and eventually an orthapaedic specialist. There is something
causing your pain in tingling by way of nerve compression. The doc will likely
start by putting you an on anti-inflammatory, possibly a low-dose steroid, and
and restrict activity to get the area(s) to quiet down.

Severe pain, lack of sleep and the unknown can also cause anxiety/depression. Please don't neglect those areas as well.

The good news...there are many new and varied treatments. Surgery IS ALWAYS the last option and there are many procedures that are considered with that as well. Some patients even respond well to Wholistic treatments such as aromatherapy, magnetic touch, accupuncture.

The other author who said to seek an MD in Fla before returning to TX. is spot-on. If your insurance allows and you can do so, at least the first doc can get you started on some meds for relief before returning home to the Big State.

Good Luck...

Summer
Hi, I have been suffering from lower back pain for almost a year now. This pain is  felt when i play or run. This causes discomfort and i feel very weak at the end of the day. I cant stand any more, feels like collapsing on bed.i have the problem of severe numbness, if i fold my legs and sit for a minute or two. it leads to severe numbness. off late this is spreading to my hands also. I got an MRI done and as per my DOCTOR it doesnt say anything. Is this because of any nerve compression. This numbness problem has been there for me as late as 10 yrs though not so severe as of date.I get pain in different areas near my hip. Suddenly my joints start paining and then it becomes all right. My legs start pulling at the end of playing cricket for about 2-3hrs. all this is causing a concern for me. Please respond ASAP, in case you need any other information do let me know.
sounds like you need an EMG.  It's not a realy comfortable test, but it could be a lost worse (uncomfortable and slghtly painful), but it will how the numbness and where iit it coming from if it is nerve related.  It could be carpal tunnel or from your neck area.  My symptoms are similiar to yours and my problem is neck C5-6.  My husband has similiar problems and his is carpal tunnel.  He maing has numbness.  I have pain thumb and fingers and stabbing nail like pain piercing my wrist.  Good luck.