Back & Neck Community
Post fusion surgery pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Post fusion surgery pain

It has been over a year since I had a lumbar spine L4-L5-S1 fusion after suffering a severe pain. The pain level reduced dramatically but I still have to take 2 Vicodines per day due to a pain in a specific point in my back. An MRI and X-Rays showed no additional evident problems. Is there a way for me to further explore the cause of the pain and try to treat it?
My quick story to share about my fusion, I know most of you may not have scoliosis but I had a fusion also.

I had harrington rod/fusion surgery for scoliosis almost 23 years ago. In the last 10-15 + years, I have had terrible complications from the surgery, neurosurgeon calls it flatback syndrome. My 2 rods start at T3 and end at L2, they took bone off my left hip at the time of surgery to fuse the spine.

I have been in and out of doctor's offices, counselors, physical therapy, seen many massage therapists, chiropractors, multiple prescription use, and also have used many modalities of alternative medicine  because I suffer from chronic pain all the time, fibromyalgia symptoms, myofascial pain (tons of knots in the muscles...everywhere), pinching and burning of nerves and especially around the rods/fusion and my legs, extreme dizziness/vertigo, migraines that last for weeks, TMJ disorder, bulged disks, abnormal forward curvature (at least 30%) of the cervical spine, degenerating disks, pre osteoarthritis, arthritis, bursitis, sciatica, numbness , burning, and tingling of extremities, muscle fatigue and weakness/atrophy, edema, shortness of breath, thyroid issues, gall bladder issues, hypoglycemia, poor concentration, memory problems, moodiness and depression, sleep issues... I think that just about covers it all :(  I never had any pain or any issues before my surgery, even though I was only eleven.   Many other scoliosis friends that have had fusions are suffering with the same things as well because of the long term outcomes.