Protruding disc L5-S1 with impinging S1 nerve root
What should I do?  My doc (family medicine) found this via MRI.  I am an Occupational Therapy Assistant and have to lift and manage all types of patients in rehab.   He prescribed me Predisone, but I don't know if I need to have any precautions as far as lift precautions or what.  I also don't know whether to go get injections or go to therapy.  My co-worker is a PTA and gave me some exercises, but I can bearly move today.  Any suggestions?
Did you family doc refer you to a specialist of any sort?  Neurosurgeon or orthopedic?  If it was me - I'd definitely get in with somebody that can fully read and explain the MRI - and offer advice on lifting and a treatment plan.

As far as injection or therapy - I'm doing both (have a disk extrusion at the L4-L5 and the L5 nerve root displacement) . I started out on oral steroids to get some fast relief, then started physical therapy and injections through the pain mgmt clinic at about the same time.  I don't know which one helps, but the combination sure helps me manage to get through every day.

Good luck!!
Check out the website at prolotherapy.org   Find a doctor in your area that gives prolotherapy and do it.

It works!

Jerrywt