Back & Neck Community
Pulsating neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pulsating neck pain

I'm 29 and for at least 15 years i've been having these neck pains.
They start i suppose with a bad posturing (i'm only assuming) , at first the pain is low , over the course of a day it starts to increase , in the evenings the pain gets really bad that i can't really concentrate on something else.
The pain starts on the left side of my neck and by evening migrates to the right and , as the title says the pain is pulsating obviously with the pulse .
I get these pains every 1-2 months and the only "cure" i've found is to sleep at least 6 hours , i've tried to sleep in the afternoon 2-3 h but it won't go away. Other things i've tried is massaging , cold compresses , hot compresses , doing exercise with the neck and once even took some of my mom lowering blood pressure pills witch actually made it worst , not so much the pain but it was the first time a 8 hour night sleep didn't "cure" me , so i guess lowering my blood pressure was not a good idea.
I do regular health checkups for my work (programmer) and my eyes are perfect , blood pressure fine , only thing out of the ordinary is a rested pulse of about 85 bpm , but its kinda genetic since my father also has it , and other then that my heart is fine for the moment (my father has some issues but of course brought by old age)
The pain is lessened if i find a comfortable position with my neck usually lying on the bed without a pillow, but as the pain radiates to my right side its very difficult to find one.

Thank you for the patience to read it all.
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, spinal structural defects, neuro-muscular causes, injuries, inflammations, degenerations, nutrient/ micronutrient deficiencies etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!