I have a Low back pain, left leg pain. They did a Sagittal and axial T1, sagittal and axial T2 weighed images. Here are the findings.
There is a grade 1 Spondylolisthesis of the L5-S1 level. A spondylolysis at the L5 pars interarticularis is noted. There is a mild bulging of Disc annulus. The spinal canal is adequately patent. There is a moderate degree of Foraminal stenosis bilaterally and evidence for some more impingment of the exiting left and right L5 nerve roots. The L5 nerve root sleeve appears larger than the left on the axial views.
1. Grade 1 Spondylolytic-type spondylolisthesis at the L5-S1 level, and associated degenerative disc disease is present.
2. There is bilateral intervertebral foraminal stenosis with evidence of some impingment of both exiting left and right L5 nerver roots.
3. Note spondylolysis of the L5 pars interarticularis.
Well, this is what the report reads. I have had over 12 epidural in a short span of 2 1/2 years directly injected and through the MRI. No relief yet. I went through the Ten-g unit with electric pulse and no relief. I have been taking Neurontin 600mg/3 times daily for the last 2 years. I took Flexril for over 18 months and stopped taking that.
I went through the back strengthening program and no results. Now the doctor advise I go do a surgery. He also states that you are too young for surgery (39y old) because the surgery will then put pressure on the upper vertebra and you will have to do the same surgery in 5 - 10 years on the one above in your back.
1. What does this diagnosis means in lay-man's term?
2. Is there anything else can be done to get rid of the pain?
3. How soon the side effects like blurry vision, dual vision etc of the medication (Neurontin) starts to take effect?
4. If not, is it worth going through the surgery and how long would be the period that I will be out of commission (means can't work - I drive 2 hours a day to get to work) ?
5. What is the risk of diffusing the nerves at that location - what is the worst case scenario (can I become paralyzed for the rest of my life by not able to use my legs)
It is not that I don't trust my Doctor. I completely trust him and will do what he says. But the family pressure states that I should learn more about it before just going with what my Doctor says. So that is the reason for my post here and nothing else.
Please help me understand of the findings and results.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.