Back & Neck Community
Question about herniated disc and bladder control

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hi.  Here is some background.  I am 26 years old, 6'1 185lbs, and I have a herniated disc at S1 (lowest disc on the spine).  I have pain in my right leg which has subsided substantially after three injections of cortizine.  

My question is, during my follow-up visit, my doctor who is a spinal specialist told me several things, one of which was that if I lose bladder/bowel control and start soiling myself, that requires a trip to the emergency room and emergency surgery.  I didn't think much of it, but I have been reading a little bit about it and while I have NOT experienced this sympton, I am a bit worried about how likely this actually is to happen.  I understand it is an indication of pinched nerves that control bladder/bowel movements, and that if left alone, can cause permanent loss of control.

So, bottom line, how common is this condition?  I know that it is always a possibility with a herniated disc, but in real numbers, how likely is someone to have this happen to them?

Thanks for your help,

Chris
I am going on my third herniated disk surgery. All have pinched nerves, but only the last one was big enough to compress the "thecal sac" to cause bladder loss etc... Out of most that I have read and know of...most people do not have it pressing the "thecal sac" which is where the nerves bundle...etc...
  It will show up in the MRI if it is, but that doesn't mean that your herniated disk won't get worse while waiting for surgery.

I've had pain since about last November.  It got worse until my first injection.  That really helped.  The second one helped, too, but not as much as the first.  The third helped about as much as the second.

I don't know why I have gotten so worried about this of late.  I guess because I am concerned about the fact that it can just "happen" suddenly, without warning.

The pain has not gotten any worse since the third injection, but it bothers me a little bit when there is a weather change.

My herniation was marked as "large" on the MRI notes with "moderate to severe stenosis".  I'm just trying to take it easy and hoping the herniation heals on its own.
hey.  im l5s1.  it did feel like it happend quick, but looking back over my life so far (30yrs old) it does make sense, did lots of hard lifting all the time.

i refuse to get surgery.  i tried chiropractic adjustments and physio....pretty much just reduced pain, but by the time of the next treatment i was right back into the pain again.

i saw an ad in the paper for this machine...and thought what the heck!  haha.  i was pretty much ready to try anything.

anyway it worked.  i have a "flair up" if i play 5 days of squash in a row now, and i don't do squats or deadlifts in the gym now.

i would reccommend this machine before sticking things into your back.

its called the drx9000.  if your the type who thinks others will solve your problems and your a victem in life....don't bother...i've met too many "poor me's" when it comes do disc herniations....nothing will help you then.

***@****