Back & Neck Community
Radio Frequency Injections

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Radio Frequency Injections

Has anyone had any luck with Radio Frequncy Injections? I had them on my lower left side of my back for severe spinal stenosis and am scheduled to have the other side done next month.
They hurt like crazy after, and it has been a week today from my first injection and I do not feel that much relief as of yet.
Thanks in advance for any feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

God bless
Let me give you my experience with radio frequency injections. First of all, what I had was called a radio frequency obliteration. (nerve block). I have had 3 of these injections in the past and the first one did not take, the second one did and the third one didn't just yet. The second one that I had, lasted for almost 6 months. Yes, there is pain afterwards and it takes about maybe two weeks to heal. Now to give you more information, remember, the nerves grow back so there may need to be a repeat procedure.
Don't get these procedures mixed up with trigger point or steroid injections, they are different and are applied to different areas.
There is a maximum of steroid injections you can get because steroid injections of any kind, can and will affect your body, so there is a limit on how many you can have.
I have had luck with the radio frequency obliteration although it may take more than one procedure to hit the right area. My pain management specialist is the one who does my injections and unfortunately I have gone through three doctors for this procedure and not all doctors in this area are familiar with this procedure. Ask you doctor to explain the procedure to you, usually you are under anesthesia and asleep for this procedure. This procedure is done under a fluoroscope. Make sure you understand what procedure you are getting. Naturally, there is pain associated with these injections but will heal shortly thereafter usually with positive results. My case is complicated as I have many areas to work on.
Find out what is causing this pain and do some research into these procedures. The more you know, the more you can educate your doctor.
Thanks for your input on the R.F Injections. I was also told to make sure the Dr giving these type of injections should be Certified in Pain Management by the AMA, and to steer away from Dr's who are not certified in pain Management before getting these type of injections.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, it's greatly appreciated.

James
Thanks, now there is something I just learned. I will be checking for a new pain management doctor and I did not know this so thanks for the heads up.
I meant to say A Board Certified Doctor who works in pain Management.

I am taking your advise as far as doing as much research as I can before making any appt. in the future. I live in MA, which is the Model State For the new Health Care which is being shoved down our throats.... And all I can say is be ready.
My doctors keep telling me things are going to get much worse.
It takes 6 months in this state to be seen as a new patient "Most Of the Time" when trying to find a new DR.
A prime example is trying to get an appt with a new primary care Dr. I made my appointment in May 2011 and I am finally being seen Dec 13, 2012. I am not kidding, no matter who I called same result. And I have REALLY GOOD INSURANCE. Blue Cross/ Sheild
Sorry to hear of all this horror. I know in the past I have contacted the hospital director or his associate with problems getting appointments and this has helped BUT I have threatened to go to the newspapers when I ran into stumbling blocks. Sometimes this helped also.
My latest treatment has been a Botox injection to the piriformis muscle which has helped me walk again. Unfortunately, my pain management doctor and I don't see eye to eye and I constantly have to fight with her for treatments. I did some research and found some local doctors who are now treating and managing the piriformis muscle without drugs. I will be changing doctors very shortly but have no idea of what to expect. Will keep you informed of what it is like at my end in CA. Thanks for the info.
After having epidural injection and then nerve block with some relief for short time my pain management dr did radio frequency. It's been a year with no recurring pain in the thoracic spine.  Went through same for sciatica had radio frequency done today in right side and can't wait for the left. So far feel like a new person. I have great faith in my doctor and feel blessed that he found what worked for me. Good luck
Very helpful, thank you!! My mom has suffered terrible arthritis pain in her late 70's and now has spinal/cervical stenosis, she has had 3 steroids shots, and very little relief and or quite temporary (like 3 weeks). Her pain (nerve) shots up into her head vs shoulder like most. So, the pain mgmt DR feels that RF is next and may take  but it takes a while, he said in some cases. May I ask how many weeks or months apart was your second shot that helped you? Thanks for writing your feedback.