Recovery after an ACDF with Bone and Plate
Hi All, I have read many posts from people saying how their recovery is after having an ACDF with Bone Graft and Plate and screws...usually 4 to 8 wks post op. I'm really curious how it is for the for the first wk! I'm in my early 50's and also have some lower back problems, had Lft Rotator Cuff repair so my left side, shoulder is the worst, but have the numbness/tingling in my right hand. I also have an atonic bladder so I'm thinking I will have to self-catheter just about every time I need to relieve my bladder since it takes a lot of bearing down muscle pressure to achieve the task. I'm just wondering how much help from other people is needed during the first wk or so? What do you have the most problems with doing things on your own? I also have a Hiatal Hernia and GERD...and I'm told swallowing and talking is pretty difficult? I guess my point with that is that I already have problems swallowing sometimes. So I would just like to know what to expect the first week or so? I have surgery in a wk! Jan 22, 2012. I am Pretty nervous about it.
Thanks for any feedback
Hi there!

Well, though the recovery time is a few weeks, the first 2-3 weeks may be the most difficult with pain/ discomfort. While a few patients recover smoothly without major discomfort, others require adequate pain management. Though few patients manage well on their own, it might be beneficial to get help for the first couple of weeks. I would also suggest discussing the situation and the expected prognosis in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Hello. I am 43 yrs old and having ACDF surgery with plate and a cadaver bone, this is my first surgery! I am extremely nervous to say the least. I am told that this will be done as an out patient surgery but most say that isn't typical. I am wondering what I should expect after surgery. Any help or advice would be great, Thank you!