Recovery time from double back fusion????Please answer
I am 6 weeks post double fusion at L4-5 (?) and have cages and rods with 6 screws. I am 47 yr old female  20lbs over weight (thanx to a year of agony and inability to move much) ..    Now I am walking and will start gentle pool excersizes this week.     Wondering how long recovery takes for pain to reduce significantly and strength to come back. I hear "months" but how many??  I am exhausted a lot, and just want to lie down...  I think that is still okj at this point right? Or should I fight it and get moving even though I am tired and hurting? I am taking 5mg of oxycodone 2-3 times a day (tried 2 1/2 mg but no help). and Soma at night and tiazapam switching back and forth  to help me sleep.     I just want to get active again, but want to be careful. My insurance does NOT cover any PT, so I am on my own.       My doctor said I could excersize gently, no twisting or bending much, and walking.   Also, my husband would like to have sexual relations...  noty a lot of info out there about that...   Thanks for any infor  Lisan
Six weeks post fusion surgery with hardware placement is very early in the recovery phase.  Remember that the bones have now been manipulated into place and the hardware is providing stabilization while the fusion progresses,  The actual fusion and knitting of the bones can take as long as 6-8 months and is dependent on a lot of factors.  Smoking delays the fusion process.  Recurrent trauma is a definite no-no!  You need time to heal and to progress slowly through this process.  A quick step forward could result in a life long disability.  Be careful!