Back & Neck Community
Rediculous burning sensation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Rediculous burning sensation

For quite some time I have had a burning sensation that I get on my back it used to come and go now it last much longer and everyday. Its located around the shoulder blade and literally feels like someone is putting a lighter to my back. It does not feel like internal pain at all.....it feels completely external. It has been getting to be almost unbearable, the pain medication my doctor prescribed me for a different back problem is barely doing anything anymore.  I get it everyday almost on Q at about 6-7 in the afternoon. If I am hunched over at all like to type on my laptop it blazes. What can this be? Please help
You have an aggravated trigger point in one of your upper back and/or neck muscles and your bad posture aggravates the symptoms.

Besides focusing on correcting your posture and strengthening your muscles hire an experienced masseuse/masseur to give you a good deep tissue massage using moist heat and stretching techniques.

You will know if the masseuse/masseur has located your active trigger points because when she/he applies pressure to the area it will reproduce your burning sensation.

In the meantime you can help yourself by laying on tennis balls. If the active trigger point is in the serratus posterior superior muscle (under the scapula) you must position your arm across your chest so your shoulder blade moves out of the way. Place the balls underneath the sore spot and let your body weight add the pressure.

When done correctly the relief is immediate.
You know you have an active trigger point when you have exhausted your efforts with medical doctors and you are able to treat yourself successfully.

I've been reading a lot of blogs about people who suffer and have had all the best medical tests available to them and they still do not have answers. Now I realize that not all of these people are going to be helped with trigger point therapy but from my 23 years of working as a masseuse in private practice I know that most problems people experience are muscular in nature and due to poor posture and muscle weakness. Or they have had an injury or illness.

Learning expands our ability to enjoy life. I think it behooves us all to learn basic body mechanics so that as we move through life we do so effortlessly and without pain.