Removal of C6-C7 titanium plate to join miltary
I fractured my C6-C7 vertebrae and chipped a disk and tore all the ligaments in September '11 and they removed my disk and put a plate to hold it all together. (I dont know a whole lot about this, so forgive me if Im not able to give alot of details) I got out of my neckbrack a few months before graduating high school and had plans to join the Navy afterwards. I had everything all set up, all was a green light for me until I mention the plate and 4 screws in my neck to my recruiter. They told me i was too much of a liabity with the plate in my neck. But this has been my dream since I was 5, so Im searching for any and every way to get myself in. I've had zero problems with my neck post surgery, no pain, no stress, nothing. I would never have none I had neck surgery. So I'm wondering, since the plate is really there for stability till the fusion is healed, if anyone knows if I could get my plate removed. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
How are you? I understand your concern about your neck and your dream of joining the Navy. Cervical Plates indeed help in the cervical spine stability immediately after surgery and during healing; increase the chances for a successful solid fusion  and help reduce the time the patient may need to wear a cervical collar after surgery. However, if you plan to have the plates removed, you need to see your attending physician for proper evaluation first. Diagnostic tests may need to be done also to determine the best management plan for you. Take care and do keep us posted.