Return to work?
Hi all,
I have just come home from hospital yesterday after having a Anterior Cervical Discectomy with Fusion (ACDF) and a Cage put in at C6/7,having previously had a fusion at C5/6 in 2001. Dose anyone know how long recovery is for this procedure and how long i will be off work. I am a postman in the UK which involves some manual lifting and driving, i had eight weeks off after the first op.
Will the recovery be as long this time? or is it easier second time round.
I dont want to go back to work to soon  and do more damage!

I would say that your best source of information would be your surgeon.  I just had the same surgery (but without the cage) on March 10th and I am working (typing only) a few hours a day with my doctor's permission.  It feels good to be up and working (I work at home), but I'm taking it easy.  I would suggest you ask your surgeon who probably will tell you to start very slowly.  My surgeon stressed to me that I shouldn't lift anything and since your profession requires you to lift, could you possibly get your employer to give you some less strenuous work with no lifting or minimal lifting during your healing process?  Again, I stress, a physician will have the best answer for you.  Good luck!
i just had the same surgery in Jan, i felt great afterword, BUT.. you need to recover, i stay home and i found if i did to much i would pay for it later.. pain between my shoulder blades, and lower neck.. i agree with anndee about lifting, you may feel you can but you probally shouldnt!! my nero said it would be 12 months untill it was fussed together, even doing my housework which iam sure is much easier than what you would be doing, i would take it easy for awhile!! if you can afford to, stay home and take it easy at least for a month.. hope all goes well... diane
Just an update!
I went to see my GP who singed me off work for six weeks, i then have to go back to See if i can return to work then. This was a great relief for me as i knew i would struggle with my job.
Thanks to those who gave me advise on this subject
Mark