Back & Neck Community
Right Arm and Neck Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Right Arm and Neck Pain

I am (was) a active 47 y/o male.  3 weeks ago I woke up with a neck so stiff I couldn't lift it off my pillow.  I have had this happen in the past and it would be back to normal in a couple of days.  Prior to this happening I had been experiencing pain in my right arm and in my neck.  The arm pain started about 3 months ago or so.  The neck has for many years not be very mobile.  I have for the past year been playing a lot tennis.  (Approximately 8 hour a week). I have always worked out 3 days a week doing both weight training and cardio.  (45 Min. Cardio/45 Min Weights).  Now since this pain has started 3 weeks ago I have not gone to the gym or played tennis.  I have switched to my left hand at work for using the mouse.  I have a desk job where I am sitting at a computer for 8 hours a day for the past 20 years.  This pain prevented had prevented me from getting any kind of sleep so I went to the doctor.  They first prescibed muscle relaxors and motrin that did nothing at all.  2 days later I went back and was prescibed 800 mg IV Profein.  That still did not do one thing for the pain.  Then I went and paid out of my pocket to see get accuputure.  This did not do anything, but they said I would probably need about 4 treatments in 2 weeks and they could get me back to 80%.  I did not want to spend all that money for a maybe, so I went back again to my PCP about 10 days ago and they prescibed vicodene and a 6 day regiment of steroids.  (Also x-rays were taken) The vicodine has helped with the pain to where I can sleep ok (not great), but it does not appear to be getting better.  I have made a appointment to see my doctor this coming Wednesday.  I was thinking Physical therapy would be the next treatment plan, but I don't know.  Anyone have any ideas on what to ask or request of my doctor.  Chiropratic Care, Accupunture, Physical Therapy, none of the above?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.  (I need to get back to my life).

Baja Scott
I think I would want to ask for some diagnostic tests first to see what is causing the
severe pain and stiffness. I had similar pain and it was caused by bone spurs in my back pushing against the nerves.

I think I would want to find out 'why' before I started treatment with any other helath care person. Personally I did not find PT to be effective for the amount for money it costs. As far as chiroprators - it depends on the Dr IMO. Try the tests first....
How did you get a proper dx?    I had a x-ray taken of my neck and spine on my visit  7 days ago, and when I made my appointment for next week, I told the office to review and let me know the finding on that x-ray.  What diagnostic test did you receive.  MRI?

Baja Scott
I did get an MRI, but it was read incorrectly by the radiologist there. However it was enough to get me sent to a neurosurgeon who did read it correctly. So I guess I would have to say the MRI helped.

I did have PT for a month prior to the MRI and they massaged my back and put on hot and cold pads. To me PT wasn't worth the trouble or the money. I hope you have a persistent family Dr. Luckily I do. My x-rays showed nothing. Go for the MRI (IMO) first unless your x-rays show something else. Good luck!!
Hello, I have bone spurs too on my spine, what did you end up doing that helped you? I am so desperate for pain relief. I have been put on muscle relaxants, Naproxin and nothing helps at all. My Dr. is setting up for the pain clinic but I am wondering what they can do for you. I am so confused and desperate for some answers. Thank you for any info you can give me.
not much helps bone spurs except surgery..disc/fusion..check with your neurologist..
I'm 58..active..got my life back
I just got my herniated disc fixed by NS  procedure ACDF at age31 due to heavy lifting at work. It was my left arm similar to your symptoms. Get an MRI and check with at least two doctors. It is very painful and since the surgery I only burn yet it is somewhat controlled by Lyrica. Thepain medications help only  mask the problem. Physical therappy helped alittle, chiro not at all, and the surgery helped alot. My left arm was disabled. Do you feel any burning? Try to log the pain and hope you have insurance. I wish I did. Lost my job as an environmental scientist and my relationship sunked due to my x taken my meds and abusing them. So trying to start lefe over yet I am in the ring of workers' compensation.  Good luck and get massages to relax the tension. Massages help so much.