Back & Neck Community
SEVERE BACK PAIN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

SEVERE BACK PAIN

does tylenol extra st. help with inflammation?
You want to use ibrofun (spelling) for inflammation.
Correct.  Ibuprofen or Naproxen, but not both.  One or the other.  I find Naproxen the most helpful, as it works more quickly.  Aleve is a brand name for OTC Naproxen.  Tyelenol is in a different category.  Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS) are the ones you want to treat inflammation.  Aspirin is also in this class.  Again, only use one form of these and not all of them.  
Tylenol is classified as an "analgesic" .  This is the same classification as asperin. The most common anti-inflammatories (NSAIDS - Non-Steroidal Anti-INflammatory) are Motrin (Generic = Ibuprofen) or Aleve (Generic = Naproxen or Naproxen Sodium). I agree - use only one of these. If you use Aleve be careful if you are on Neurontin because is a small amount of cases Aleve will interact with Neurontin and cause a 12 - 15% increase in the absorption of the Neurontin (I know this from first hand experience).