Back & Neck Community
SEVERE PAIN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

SEVERE PAIN

I am having severe pain in my upper right shoulder down through my right arm. This pain is taking my breathe away. The pain is unbearable at times.  It feels like someone is taking my upper back and twisting it.  I am also experiencing some burning in upper arm area.  Pain extends down through my hands  periodally.  I have used the heating pad.  My doctor has me on percocets and muscle relaxers the  ibprofen. or vicodin didn't work.

A overhead cabinet fell off walk and hit me three months ago.  My my left and right shoulder and neck was hurting.  The Right started hurting worst a few weeks after.  I was diagnois with a neck and shoulder cervical strain, and head
contusion.  Please tell me what this could be.
Have you had an MRI? These symptoms sound like mine and I had 3 herniated disks that required surgery. They will not show up in an xray so you must get to a reputable neurosurgeon. Pain meds, especially narcotics will not work for long. You will find out that tolerance will grow requiring greater strengths.
I am schedule to have a MRI on this Tuesday coming up.  My doctor states he thinks it is a herniated disc.  Girl this pain is terrible.  Today I have been having the pain along with sharp spasms in my right arm.  Your right the narcotics only last for a while.  You stated you had 3 herniated disc that required surgery.  What kinda of surgery did you have?  Did it work?  Listen to this I already have 2 herniated disc in my lower back a work related injury.  This is crazy I'm hurting all over.  I'm to young for all of this.  

Yes and the tolerance is growing.  
I had anterior cervical diskectomy with fusion. Basically my surgeon went in from the front of my neck, removed two of the three problematic disks and replaced them with a titanium plate, screws and cadaver bone where the disks were. It took much longer than I anticipated to heal. The doctor told me that it takes up to 18 months to completely fuse. After surgery my pain was bad but theytoldme it was because there were nerve pathways that were revitalizing. I felt much better after about 6 months and recommended this surgery to a friend who has since had it very successfully.
I was very much relieved until about 7 months ago when I began experiencing pain issues again. When I had the surgery, I was told that they were leaving one of the herniated disks in because he didn't want to limit my range of motion that much and that at somepoint I may have to have surgery again.
Well when the pain returned I thought that this was the case. I called the dr and they ordered an xray and a second MRI. After looking at the tests he said everything looked good and referred me to a pain specialist. I have had this test of faith but I know that there will be some solution because I cannot imagine being one of those people on narcotic pain meds for twenty years.I had a ESI last Monday and it gave me relief I have not felt in a long time and the meds are working much better.
I know this is a long post but as you can see there is no short way to explain it.