Back & Neck Community
SI joint dysfunction real or overdiagnosed?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Hi group,
I was diagnosed by two physical therapists with SI joint dysfunction, but the orthopedic surgeon said dynamic not structural. I went to a pain doc and he said chronic myofascial, but he didn't do a physical. Family practise doc thought first a pinched nerve then he goes with the flow. My main question is I have read every article on Pubmed, and all articles from Cleveland Clinic and so forth and none of the articles show real proof by standard PT measurements that the accuracy of the diagnosis is any good (70% or less accuracy or less). The gold standard is SI joint injection. I am willing to get the injection but I dont' want to be hurt again from another strain by having the doc push me around as they do. I know that if you have arthristis are in a big car accident or pregnant these are indicators for SI joint injury. But, I was just yanked forward by my dog and then after some months and physical therapy (original injury is in the same place the upper buttock) I had no pain and it came back a year and a half later (I didn't keep the strengthening up) by doing a twist in yoga. So what is the verdict. Do you believe in SI Joint dysfunction and if so did you have SI joint injection to diagnose it? Also, a good book The War on Pain,  by Dr. Scott Fishman doesn't believe in SI joint except for the reasons above. In any case I suggest his book for everyone.
mkh9