Back & Neck Community
Sacrum Pain and Sciatica

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Sacrum Pain and Sciatica

I resently injured my low back cycling and after the low back pain went away I ended up with pain on my right SI joint and sciatica in my lower leg. It's been almost 2 weeks and since then I've had a chiropractic adjustment and a course of Prednisone.  I'm still in pain and unable to run or cycle. Walking is difficult.  My doctor thinks my glute and piriformis muscles are overly tight and clamping down on my sciatic nerve, but no amount of stretches or muscle relaxers help. Was I mis-diagnosed or is this just something that will calm down with total rest. I'm thinking about trying accupuncture.
Muscle relaxers are inappropriate. They cause additional nerve compression and irritation.

A chiropractic adjustment is pointless, except from the standpoint of paying the mortgage on your chiropracter's condo in Florida.

You must adjust yourself to the fact that you may never be able to use a bicycle for exercise again.

You need an MRI. L1-L5. An x-ray is meaningless.

Then you need a course of rehabilitative therapy. Not "adjuistments".  You will be taught specific exercises by the therapist that will reduce nerve compression the practice them in front of the trainer. Uuslly they also provide warm compresses.

There are about a dozen exercises, so think a dozen sessions a week apart of about an hour each.

A surgical procedure called a laminectomy is a last resort.

Were any x-rays done? Was an MRI done? There are things besides stuff that will show up only on an MRI that this could be. This could be SI Joint Dysfunction. There are other things that it could be as  well.

I get so fed up with doctors that want to treat before they know the true cause of the problem. Been going round and round with docs for almost 5 years with my lower back/right hip issues. Finally got proof that the transitional vertebra with a pseudoarticulation on the right side is the source of my back problems. My spine specialist and I will be verifying this with a second injection at the pseudoarticulation site, and then talking to a surgeon about removing the excess bone of the pseudoarticulation.
Get an MRI, do physical therapy, but be careful I was injured by a Ph.D. physical therapist. There is no standardization and no accountablility. How can you sue someone that does manual therapy on the wrong leg (there is no proof).  Most people, even with an MRI, don't get diagnosed. Whatever you do don't make the mistake I made and rest too much and get atrophied. I can't exercise without pulling something. Very had to get out of that cycle. The National Institute of Healh (NIH) says rest for 2 or 3 days, ice then heat and start doing "normal" activity. That means little by little do things around the house and try to get back to easy normal stuff until the pain goes away. You can do warm water physical therapy, or walk to start. Do very light stretches that the PT suggests. But don't do much strenghening too soon. The second PT I had pushed me too fast and I got three muscle pulls and a sprain. See my post intro. I think you will be able to bike ride again. It depends on the injury. Stop the prednisone it is not good for you. A one time injection is ok if they know where to put it like into the SI joint. There is very little evidence that the SI joint really moves unless you are pregnant, or had a very hard blow. How did you get injured biking?  I had two PT's say I have SI joint dysfunction too. But, the ortho surgeon said it is muskloskeltal, the pain doc said chronic myofascial. So, I bet you take it easy, walk, stretch and do normal activities (that doesn't mean jog, or bike) It means you can do like chores and drive maybe. Let me know what you think.
mkh9
Ive similar symtomns and had a recent MRI which confirmed a prolapsed L5 disc which has fragmented and the fragmented part is pressing on the S1 nerve giving altered sensation in my foot and uncomfortbale pain in the ham string (kind of sciatica but more dull) and my glut. Im pondering a back op and have a 4 week window to decide. Whilst I recognise nerve damage is often irreversible, I'm trying to prevent further degredation