Back & Neck Community
Saline injections for pain
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Saline injections for pain

I'm in my late 50's and I've been diagnosed with osteoarthritis, scoliosis, degenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia.  A family doctor I saw In the previous city I lived in would give me saline injections in specific trigger points which eased considerably the pain I experience.  In fact, over time the repeated injections seemed to eradicate some trigger points.  It's been over 10 years since I saw this doctor as I moved to another location.  When I've mentioned this procedure to doctors where I'm living now they look at me like I'm crazy, or say that dry needling is just as effective (i.e. I should see someone for acupuncture), or just load myself up on pain medication.  Having tried acupuncture I know that for me dry needling isn't anywhere close to being as effective and I'd really like to not have to take a lot of pain meds. if possible.  Also, acupuncture treatments are not covered by my insurance because generally they aren't done by m.d.'s.  I am wondering what you think about saline injections for pain management and how I might be able to access this again.  If I knew how to safely do it myself I'd be able to get my husband to do the points I can't reach.  What are your thoughts?