Back & Neck Community
Schwannoma tumor and nerve damage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Schwannoma tumor and nerve damage?

Ive been told by my spinal surgeon that I have a possible schwannoma tumor in my L3-4 area effecting my quad knee on the left side.  I've heard these can cause nerve damage if theyre quite intwined.  My leg has been numb for over three weeks.  What is entailed with removal?
Treatments include surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy.  These tumours don't respond very well to chemotherapy.  Chemo may be used to try to shrink the tumour , but it is unlikely to cure it.  The tumours may respond well to radiotherapy.so you should go to see reputable doctor for second opinion.Take care!
I had a 10mm intradural schwannoma at L5-S1. My symptoms were sciatica in the middle of the night and some toe numbness. I researched on the Internet and found a suregeon a Northestern Memorial Hospital, Richard G. Fessler, who is probably one of the best minimally invasive spinal surgeons in the world. He operated on me on January 15, 2008 and I had great results: small scar, virtually no pain, and back to normal very quickly.  

Other research shows that the top hospitals in the country for neurosurgery are the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins, but I picked Northwestern because of Fessler. Google him and you will find out all kinds of information on him.

Good Luck. Please call any time if  you want to discuss. My number is (703) 758-0242.

Jon