Back & Neck Community
Scoliosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Scoliosis

I am 17 years old, would be 18 in a few months.
Was diagnosed with scoliosis (37 degrees) last year. I was told that nothing can be done to it even though i am in SO much pain daily. (9/10 usually).
I have had physio therapy for a year and chiropratic care for half a year but these do not help!
So worried and feel left out when all my friends dress up and enjoy the way they look whilst i just focus on my uneven shoulders.
Can someone please help me, i dont know what to do? The doctors here in the UK seem to think i should live with it.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain at such a young age. This is a tough situation to be in. Usually doctors recommend a back brace at your age. You can wear this under your clothes and this provides support to the curve. This helps relieve the pain. You can also take up yoga as this helps in straightening of the spine with some of its postures. However, you must learn the correct postures. Also, you can discuss the possibility of surgery helping you. Take care!