Back & Neck Community
Searing Pain in Neck/Back of Head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Searing Pain in Neck/Back of Head

Hello, I am hoping someone can tell me what this is.  Now this happens about once a month, but when I was younger, I'd guess it was closer to once a week.  Ever since I was little I've gotten these episodes of sharp, shooting, searing, debilitating pain in the back of my neck/base of my skull.  Usually it happens when I turn my head, then I double over in pain, while a searing hot pain shoots up my neck.  During these 5-10 seconds it feels like a warm liquid going spreading.  After that it is replaced by a dull, burning pain that is left for 5 minutes or so.  This is seriously the worst pain I've ever felt every time it happens.

The only reason I feel it isn't life threatening is b/c my mother's always said she used to get them as a child/young adult also.

I've seen other people who have posted online about this same "white hot searing pain that occurs when they turn their head too fast" (really it's not when you turn it too fast, it just usually happens after turning your head, but not always).  But nobody seems to have a diagnosis.  Just from my family history I can say it appears to be genetic.  Any ideas as to what it is?

Oh, and I have no other diagnosed issues, however my mother has terrible Restless Leg Syndrome and she has Hypothyroid both of which she has to take medicine for and has had both since college.
I don't know about this kind thing being genetic, but I do know that you should see a Doctor about this. Sounds like a nerve's being severely pinched when this happens.

Go see a Doctor
I have the EXACT SAME THING. If you do find out what this is, please tell me.
I had the same problem over a year ago . I found out my c6,c7 had calapsed and pinched a nerve. So went in for a decompression fusion ,I must admit I felt 100% str8 away. But now after a year of working back in construction I feel as though I'm getting that feeling again. My neck feels like it has a hot fluid leaking , and a warm dull feeling. I'm taking Endone but no joy the pain is still there .
When a person has fusion surgery at one level of the spine, neighboring levels take on the job of that fused level, and can cause more disc disease, which can lead to more surgery, etc. It's a domino effect.

I'd advise you to see your doctor about the status of the neighboring discs.