Severe Back Pain - Hemangioma?
I am a 39 year old female with a history of severe upper back pain for 10-plus years.  It does not appear to be related to my fibromyalgia because it is SO sharp and so localized - it is a spot right between my spine and my right shoulder blade.  

My new pain management specialist recently had an MRI done of my upper back to see what has been causing my pain for so long.  For whatever reason, the images were only done from the side, so he still isn't sure if I have any scoliosis (not sure why that wasn't checked since that was one of his possible initial thoughts).  What the MRI report noted was that I have a hemangioma at T7 (precisely the spot where my pain has been) and degeneration of the vertebrae in the middle of my spine.  I was a competitive gymnast when I was a kid (trained from ages 5 to 15) and my doctor feels this history is the most significant factor for my back pain.  He addressed the arthritis and did three cortisone injections a week ago, but never even brought up the hemangioma.  I just happened to have a copy of the radiologist's report from the imaging center, but didn't get a chance to read it until after my appointment was done.

So, my question is:
Could the hemangioma be the REAL culprit here, in addition to the arthritis in my spine?  If so, what treatment options are the best to pursue first?  I am also confused as to why my doctor did not even mention this - some research has led me to think that some doctors don't think these cause pain while others do.  

Any suggestions, experiences, and information would be greatly appreciated!!!
Hi there!

Haemangiomas are benign vascular masses, not uncommonly found on the vertebral body. These are unlikely to be responsible for the described symptoms. It is only when the masses are large or show growth potential that it would require specific management. In the situation, the haemangioma is unlikely to have been clinically significant.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!