Back & Neck Community
Severe Pain in upper back, Neck and shoulder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I am 25 year's old  , i've already suffered through 3 herniated disc in my lower back.  Right now , actually let me be more honest for the past 10 years  i've had upper back pain. It started right before i entered middle school. One day my neck was hurting so bad i decided to pop it , from then on i've been popping , rubbing  my neck and shoulder's. It's always the same pain  it started at the ball joint in my neck and radiates to my right shoulder  in between my shoulder blade. Most recently about 3 years ago the pain escalated into tolerable to unbearable.  I was popping my neck when a sudden sharp pain when down my right arm into my hand. Since then  anytime i rub or attempt any kind message like treatment the pain gets so unbearable i cry.  I've been to 3 doctors for my lower back , each time i was dismissed at as crazy it's all in my head ( i suffer from bi-polar disorder ) , to i'm a pain killer junky and need to go to rehab.  I'm starting to feel like i am crazy ,  most day i cry cause the pain is so bad , i'm so afraid to go to the ER and have them label me as crazy .  I don't know what to do , if someone knows in the slightest what might be wrong please tell me.  I honestly feel like my life is no longer mine , it belongs to pain. I just wanna live my life .
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, neuro-muscular causes such as muscle sprain, nerve impingement, injuries to muscles/ ligaments, inflammations, spinal causes such as degeneration, micronutrient deficiencies, referred pain from other regions etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought. Meanwhile you could take some tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS and see of these seem to help.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!