Back & Neck Community
Severe Right Shoulder Pain While Breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

For three days now I have had pain in my right shoulder. It only hurts when I breathe in, sneeze, cough, and even burp. As soon as I do one of those things, it sends shooting pain down my neck,and through my right shoulder. Nothing else hurts. I don't know what this could be!
When you say shoulder.. could you describe that better? like you shoulder blade? because if you are talking about in the area that you lung is located it could be very very very serious and that could be sign of pulmonary embolism and even if its not you better be safe than sorry and to er to get it checked out they will do some initial testing and questions and if they think its possible, they will do ct.. if it hurts to do those types of things that require breath support and lungs that cause severe sharp pain.. you could have blood clot in the lung... please keep me updated.
The pain is in the very top of my shoulder. Like from the collarbone directly to the top of the shoulder. It still hurts, but not near as bad as it did. For awhile it started to hurt my neck really bad and started to hurt to even chew food and talk. I can breathe now just fine. Like I said, it still hurts, but not bad enough to have to take pain meds like I was doing. I have dealt with this pain before and it goes away for awhile and then comes back. I don't have insurance so I constantly go to Walmart and check my blood pressure and pulse to make sure that it's always okay.