Back & Neck Community
Severe Scoliosis - PAIN!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I'm sorry - I need to correct a section of my post above.

I meant to say, it IS at the point where it affects my daily life.

Severe Scoliosis - PAIN!

I am a 26 yr old female with severe scoliosis. They discovered it when I was about 12 years old, and fitted me for a brace. I wish I would have worn it, but I did not.

Over the past several years, my back has started to hurt more and more. It is not at the point where it affects my day-to-day life. I have 2 children, and lifting them just about puts me in tears. I don't sleep well either.

I'm to the point now, where I am considering just paying cash to see a doctor (I do not have health insurance).
The only thing that has EVER helped, is Hydrocodone or Percocet, etc - although I do not want to be seen as a "drug-seeker", by asking for what works. I just want my life back, and be able to live pain-free :(

What type of doctor should I go see? I know chiropractor's do not prescribe medicine....and I do not have a regular general practice doctor either....

I've been to the urgent care place twice this month already, at $250 a visit....HELP!
Do you know the degree of curvature? Have you ever had an MRI?
If you go to a good chiropractor they will do X-rays and can probably have them developed and read the next day.  They don't cost too much for an initial visit - probably 30-60 dollars plus 10/20 per X-ray. They are probably your quickest and cheapest place to go to find an intial diagnosis.
Yes, I have had X-rays taken...several times in the past. I have an S-curve.....and I know one of them was over 50 degrees
I would agree w/BrandySny about a chiro being able to maybe give some relief, they can't correct curve though. Also find a good PT who is familiar w/stabilizing scoliosis. Building some strength in the supporting muscles can help w/ the pain of the curves. Good luck
I ALSO HAVE SCOLIOSIS AND WORE A BRACE FOR 3 YEARS.  ULTIMATELY I HAD TO HAVE MY SPINE FUSED AND RODS PUT IN.  IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO SEE A SPINE SURGEON I WOULD SUGGEST GOING TO A PAIN MANAGEMENT DOCTOR.  THEY WILL GIVE YOU MEDS FOR PAIN RELIEF!!!!  OTHER DOCTORS DON'T LIKE TO PRESCRIBE LONG TERM PAIN MEDS BUT A PAIN DOCTOR WILL TAKE OVER AND MANAGE YOUR PAIN.  THOSE DRUGS CAN BE ADDICTING SO BE CAREFULL. THEY ALSO HAVE ALOT OF SIDE EFFECTS.  I WAS SENSITIVE TO PAIN PILLS.  THEY MADE ME EXTREMELY TIRED AND MADE IT HARD TO FUNCTION. NOT TOO GOOD FOR A SINGLE MOM WITH 3 KIDS!  I NOW HAVE A MORPHINE PUMP IMPLANTED INSIDE ME THAT DRIPS LIKE AN I.V. DIRECTLY TO MY SPINE.  VERY HELPFULL AND NO SIDE EFFECTS AS FAR AS MIND WISE!!!!!  GOOD LUCK!!!  P.S. IF YOU EVER GET INSURANCE OR CAN AFFORD IT I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND GOING TO PT AND ASKING FOR AQUATIC THERAPY WHICH IS THERAPY IN THE POOL.  ACTUALLY IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT, FIND A YMCA OR A HOTEL THAT ALLOWS YOU TO PAY A COUPLE BUCKS TO USE THEIR POOL.  DO STRETCHES, SWIMMING, EVEN WALKING HELPS!!!  LAND THERAPY CAN BE TO PAINFULL.