Back & Neck Community
Severe and immobilizing neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Severe and immobilizing neck pain

About 2 years ago, I was in a car accident where the car rolled over several times and I suffered considerable whiplash and bruising, but no other serious injuries. It took about 3 weeks after the accident to regain normal function in my neck. Ever since that time, I suffer periodic bouts with neck/shoulder pain. They occur randomly, and I haven't been able to pinpoint any pattern in what might be causing the onset of pain. I've just assumed it was from a muscle spasm.

The pain in my neck/shoulders comes on quickly and generally lasts 12-36 hours. The pain is worst when I make sudden movements (turning my head, tilting my neck, looking down or up too quickly). I can't tell if the problem is within my muscles or spine/joints, but I do know that it hurts so badly that I can't walk or move normally, and sometimes have trouble breathing properly (which then affects my voice, and I end up sounding like I have a frog in my throat).

I've been without insurance for awhile, so I can't afford to see an orthopedist or chiropractor - but would greatly appreciate any insight into what these brief, intense, and randomly occurring periods of neck pain might be caused by... and if I should be concerned enough to cough up the money and see a doctor.

Thanks.
HI, since it was accident who was driving and rn't u covered by the insurance?

Also did u have an MRI after the accident?....did u have ne recently?

Stay away from chiropraters until u know what is going on...depending on what it is a chiro can cause further damage.

I say check inot the car insurance and claim this as a result of the accident.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
Thanks for your advice, Selma. It has been a couple of years since the accident, so I'm not sure how easy it will be to convince my car insurance company that this current pain is a result of that accident, but I will certainly try. It seems like it's worth a shot.

I had an MRI and multiple x-rays after the accident, and there was no bone damage or anything else. Just very bad muscle trauma.

I am right now (as I type this) suffering through another one of my long-term neck spasms. It feels like the other muscles in my neck and shoulder blades have to compensate for the damage to the strained muscle, which in turn puts everything out of whack and makes it very difficult for me to move without feeling really bad pain throughout my neck. Who should I see, aside from a chiropractor, for muscle pain? A physical therapist, maybe? I've never been to a chiropractor and am not too keen on the idea of it, either.

Thanks, again.
No chiroprator until u know for sure what is going on...if u have a conditon as a result of the injury it can be made worse with a chiro.

I would request the MRI's on disk and the reports.And if u r able to get a check up as part of the accident, then have a new MRI and request the copies of this one as well.

I would suggest u see a NS or NL...if u need a referal and ur PC will not refer to a NS or NL try a rheumitoid dr first.But , I feel the NS will be the best option.And since u live in NY, U have the BEST there...in Great Neck! I am actually traveling there to see the drs at  TCI.

"selma"