Back & Neck Community
Severe back pain and numbness in leg etc...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

First, I'm glad I found this forum. I've been all over the internet looking.

A little background: I'm in my 30's, and I have always struggled with lower back pain but over time it has gradually become worse.

I've been to chiropractors when I was a teen to help with it, but it didn't do much for me. A couple years ago, my family doctor did a nerve test and found out I had nerve damage in my lower back and put me on Neurontin. That was a horrible experience.

I became pregnant and noticed my left leg going to sleep a lot and I just passed it off to do with my sciatic nerve. After I had the baby (via c-section), I lost complete feeling in my left thigh.

I told my OB about it and she gave me a funny look and told me that was not normal and to see a doctor right away. So naturally I waited 4 months until I have no feeling in that leg, my back is completely out making it hard for me to walk, and I noticed I am having bladder issues (which I don't know if that has anything to do with it). I'm in a lot of pain and my hydrocodone that I had for my C-section is not even touching it. I can't even sit let alone walk.

I also forgot to mention that my restless leg syndrome had become worse and it's making my right arm do the same thing for the last week.

I'm not sure what kind of doctor to see. I'm not really happy with my family doctor who just wants to give drugs. I really need it fixed right away. I have children to take care of and I feel like I'm an old lady. I'm not sure what could be wrong with me.

What kind of specialist should I see or should I try a chiropractor again.
DO NOT go to the chiro again. You have a severely pinched nerve. You need a mri, or ct scan and a myelogram done. You should go to a neurologist, one that specializes in spinal injuries. You can end up with complete and total numbness in both legs/groin area. I would almost bet that you have a herniated or bulging disc around L5-L3 area. There is a chart on my profile that you need to look at. It shows the nerves/vertebra and what they control. I am the same age as you and have herniated S1-L5 resulting in nerve damage that has left me with only 22% of the feeling from my waist down.  No pain medications really help nerve pain and yes it can affect your bladder. Try to take it as easy as possible and be careful with bending and lifting anything until you get checked. Best of luck to you.

Sissie