Back & Neck Community
Sharp Back Pain When Sitting or Standing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Over the last couple of years, I have had a sharp pain in my back the right side of my spine.  It is located in the middle rib area, no where close to the spine.  Previously, it only appeared when I was standing for several hours and would go away when I sat down.  Now, it has become constant when I stand or sit for 5 minutes and has always been in the same spot.  It will go away immediately when I lay down. I have good posture and in decent shape at 36 years old.  Any suggestions on what could be the issue?
Don't leave this unexamined any longer. Back problems don't necessarily hurt on the spine. If a nerve is pinched it could hurt somewhere else. If caught early physcial therapy is about 70% successful in helping alleviate the condition. Get it examined soon.
Good luck.
I'm having sharp pains in my upper back feels under my shoulder blades also have sharp chest pains and feel like somehting is caught in my throat.  sharp pains very painful
I have been dealing with back pain for months and months. I can sit for a very short period of time and when I go to stand up I feel like an idiot because i cant stand straight up. I have a hard time tying my shoes. I'm a young women I dont want people looking at me like I should have a walker in front of me. I'm tired of the pain. I went to the Dr. he gave me a script for an anti inflammatory. It did'nt even take the edge off feel like he pretty much blew me off. WHAT DO I DO?
i have back pains when i stand for and hour it starts hurting my whole back and when i don't sit straight it hurts my back too i am confused.