Back & Neck Community
Sharp pain in upper back and left shoulder, pain increase upon breathin...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Viewing 201-209 comments:
do pull ups with ur neck touched to ur back and don't leave this position until the last pull ups is done
well im 12 but i get the same thing but also when i breath it just feels like i have to scream or when i bend over it feels like ill be stuck there my said i just slept rong but i think its more
I've been searching all morning for info on this pain I've been having for the past 4 days. I've always had a few days here and there of too much computer (I'm an author and spend a lot of hours sitting here), but these past few days, the pain won't go away unless I am laying down. It starts in my left shoulder blade the second I sit down at my computer or just about anywhere (except the toilet, go figure that one out!), and it always starts with a slight twinge of a pinpointed burning sensation, sort of like your muscles feel after a horrible cramp, ya know, tender. Then over the course of time (1/2 hour or so) it gets more and more uncomfortable and may even spread across towards my other shoulder blade. Once this area has been "tee'd off", it simply will not take any position except laying down on a warm heating pad. Now, I do have a prescription for 10mg hydrocodone for low back pain and neuropathy in my legs, but the pills don't even touch this shoulder pain. Yes, I'm, a smoker, but I never cough and I have NO chest pain or any kind of pan on the front side of my body. I will also note that I am overweight, but started a diet 3 days ago when I saw a picture of me in a bathing suit in our pool(not a pretty sight!). Also, I have a cavernous angioma of the right temporal lobe that I take 2,500mg a day for seizures, so I cannot take any blood thinning medications like aspirin or the like. So, what's a girl to do other than go bump up my existing hospital or pain doc bill? Any ideas before I start panicking at the huge array of possibilities?
FINALLY someone understands. I am 16 years old and i think I may be suffering from the same thing, whatever the hell it may be. I have had this "shooting/stabbing/burning/pinching/aching" and occasional "zing" of pain in the bridge between my neck and left shoulder since I was about 8 years old and since then, the frequency and intensity of the pain have only increased. At this point I feel like my entire left arm is going to drop off my body one day because the burning pain from my shoulder has "disintegrated" all my ligaments and tendons. I feel like i have seen every doctor and tried every treatment out there but nothing has worked. I am so fed up with this pain i am desperate to find some sort of relief. let me know if you find out whats up, because i know. this **** *****.
Some years ago I had the worst pain I've ever experienced in my neck and right arm. The pain was amazingly intense and made my life hell because it also made it difficult to sleep. Codeine painkillers had absolutely no effect.

All my friends told me to go to a chiropractor or osteopath, but I've always seen them as useless, so I eventually went to a doctor. It was lucky I did because he immediately referred me to a neurosugeon, who, after an examination told me that the disk between two of my neck vertebrae in my spine had been damaged and that if I'd gone to a chiropractor or osteopath I would probably have permanently lost the use of my right arm, which would have been disastrous as I'm right-handed. He put me into hospital where he operated on my neck to widen the passage for the nerve coming out of my spine for my arm. The aftermath of the surgery itself was almost as painful as the the damage being fixed, but it worked immediately. I no longer had the problem, and the surgery quickly healed. I have never had the problem again.

Some time later I realised that all this had happened not long after a minor car accident where another car ran into the back of my car. Mine was an old car and didn't have head-rests. That was how my neck had been injured: "whiplash". I also realised that it was inflamation (inflammation) of the area around the nerve exit from my neck that was causing the problem in constricting my nerve. I had taken heavy-duty painkillers for the unbelievably intense pain, but if, in the early stages, I'd used aspirin instead, it might have taken down the swelling and stopped the pressure on my nerve, removing the pain.

Cartilage repairs very slowly, so I would have had to be very careful for weeks, probably months, to make sure I did nothing that would further tear the disk, while making sure I still got enough gentle exercise to retain mobility. However I might have been able to fix the whole thing without surgery if I'd had the knowledge and forethought. Of course it is hard to see this at the time, and after I'd let it go too long probably nothing except surgery could fix the physical damage and I would have ended up with a partially paralysed arm. I'm no fan of surgery, but it did save my arm.
I have been having severe pain in my left shoulder that radiates to my neck and down my left arm....at times my fingers get tingly like my hand is asleep but then goes away..but the pain is non-stop and getting worse...I have tried icy-hot and heat and lidocane patches and of course aleve but nothing seems to help...my husband is getting frustrated with me and I just dont know what to do anymore...I dont have insurance and im just lost on anything else to do..does anyone have any suggestions? Please and ty for your time and reading this!
Hello, I'm having a severe constant pain in my left shoulder/neck and half way down my back. I've had neck trouble for about 5 years, they say I have two pinched nerves, Monday night my pain got so bad when I laughed I cried it hurt so bad so I went to the ER. And they weren't much help, xrays didn't show anything but they suspected pluricy, but herein Tuesday I couldn't bare the pain and went to  my doctor and he thinks it's a pulled muslce or spasm.. I've pulled muscles but never an arm or back, is a pull muscle very painful like this or do I need to have an MRI. I'm 19 btw and its really affectting my college and work life. Any suggestions?
I have had this problem for many many years, I was treated by a doctor once, for a parisite, all the pain and insomnia were gone in 3 days. I got together with my ex and months later the symptoms were back. I have had test for parisites and has been negative, but I read that testing for parisites is a very small chance of detecting it and doctors won't even listen to what I have to say. I had it for about 8 yrs was treated and felt better than I had in 8 yrs then, got the same symptoms months later. now its been 15 yrs and Docs dont listen.
hello my friend,

hope you get better soon.

what is the problem you have?
is it only backpain or does your shoulderblade area hurt while swallowing anythıng?

i've been having a pain in my neck right at the tip of the spine and when i lift my arms up it hurts my left shoulder blade and i have to go and play football tom and i went head to head and i think thats whats hurt it i need to know if i should play tom or just watch. Im only 12 yearsold and i need to play i need to get this past me
If you ever have pain on the back by the left shoulder blade, do yourself a favor and GO TO THE DOCTOR. This can be a symptom of a heart attack. Search for "heart attack widow maker" and you'll learn that symptoms of some heart attacks start with warning signs like these. A sharp burning pain in the back near the left shoulder blade. The pain may go away or linger. The pain can radiate down the left arm or up the left side of the neck.  Don't take a chance - get yourself checked out ASAP to rule it out.  It's far better to being diagnosed having a muscle strain than an artery blockage that could lead to a heart attack.
I have an app't with an orthopedic dr. on Thursday (8 Nov).  I'll likely have an MRI.  I'll let you know what diagnosis I receive.
I have these same pains and I have herniated disc in my neck and pinched nerves also.
I've had these same pains, behind the shoulder blades on both sides many times. I'm only 25, but I'm an aerial hoop artist, which is the perfect sport to mess up your back :)
Getting someone to massage it out helps A LOT, but if the pain gets worse when breath then I would strongly suggest you go see a good chiropractor. I can't count the number of times he has saved my back. It turns out a nerve in my back or neck (depending on what I had done) would get pinched.
Hope this helps! My back is fine now and I didn't have to take anti-inflammatory drugs or go through unnecessary surgery .
Hi everyone. I wonder if anyone can relate to this? I have been getting pain in my left side shoulder and upper left side of the back to the side of my spine, but not the spine itself. It gets worse at night. Had all sorts of blood tests, checked for kidney stones, CT scan, MRI scan, and all results came back totally normal. Doctor has given me co-codomal which helps, and I apply a deep heat rub which also takes away the pain for a short while. I also find a really hot bath takes away the pain. I'm 28 and have had this pain for about 10 months now. Really getting disruptive to my every day life. Does anyone else have a similar experience?  
Hi Aidy84,

I have more than that. In addition to yours I have pain while swallowing anything on my left shoulder blade area and I have it for about 2 years. Did a lot of test but nothing is found. Hope you get well soon and hope I also get well soon.
Iv been having back pain for years but I was able to withstand it. The pain was under my right shoulder blade, everytime I took a deep breath I could feel it there...today I was playing with my son and I lifted him on my shoulder and the the real pain started. I have to take short breaths and I can lay down flat can't reach in front of me I can't bend down to pick anything up its taken a toll on my mobility and I am not sure Wat to do....iv tried back meds but nothing. Anvil and nothing..can someone help me plz cuz the pain is so bad I can't stand it
In my upper back just below my shoulder blade is in a lot of pain and I am unable to move around much with out it hurting and seem to have the same problem as everyone else on here should I go to a&e to get I checked out or should I rest and maybe get it massaged ??
I have the EXACT same thing that people have been generally describing. I located the pain and if your pain started from your back below your shoulder blade and made its way up to neck, it's a trapezius issue. Trapezius aches can lead to severe migranes (migraines) and huge back aches. If you have issues, raising and lowering your arms, you should try and get it checked out. It could lead to something more serious that you don't know about (i.e. a pinched nerve or slipped disc)
I have same pain. My doctor thinks its pleurisy and has our me on steroid, guess we'll see
There could be a couple of things wrong you may want to check out that other HCPs have not checked out.  First off, does the pain shoot down your arm?  Do you get numbness and tingling in your pinky finger?  Do you have rounded shoulders?  Get it checked out.  It could be Thoracic outlet syndrome or an issue with your rotator cuff particularly with the subscapularis.  This muscle is located on the front end of your shoulder blade but could possibly be a trigger point to the back of your shoulder blade.  Once you find out what it is, massage therapy or spinal reflex therapy can help.
Thanks so very much .... I will go to you tube and give EFT a try, I have heard of this and cannot believe I did not think of it before now.  I guess I just needed to here it from someone else that it works.  Again thanks.  I look forward to be out of pain.
Let me ask you all..did it start with you all having upper stomach pain acidity, and left or right side of the upper rib area pain. If you notice the pain my increase when you have anything too spicy,hot coffee or when you don't have food on time. If these symptoms match then email me. I can tell few simple steps for FREE. Provided you follow them strictly.  
I am a 21yr old, white, female. I have a throbbing pain in left upper back/shoulder. It gets worse when I do a lot of work/lift stuff and sometimes when I breathe it hurts on and off through out the day. Also hurts bad when I'm stressed. I don't know what could be wrong. Please help!  :-(
TO EVERYONE: (problem fixed) Last night i suddenly got a pain in the upper left side of my back when i bent down to thrown the ball for my dog. Felt like someone had run me through with a sword. Hurt to breath deeply and even lieing on my back that night flat hurt, but worst if i tried to roll over. The next morning i went to the physio. They were great. Said it was a rib pulled out of alignment. They could do a quick push adjustment which would correct it, but only recommended for young and healthy, or they could massage gently over a long period of time which wasn't guarenteed to fix it. I opted for th adjustment. They iced it for a good 30mins afterwards. Whilst still tender i have full mobility of my arms now. Pain is still there when i breath but far less sharp. This is apparently normal and will subside over a few days. :)
Hello Im 16. Last night I went to bed with the same symptoms you all describe, upper back pain and pain in my left arm. After using a heating pad on the are a before sleeping it felt better. After awaking it hurt to lift my left arm. It feels like I have to crack my back or shoulder, but I know I don't have to.
Hello, I'm 24 years old.. Last November I experienced fast palpitations and felt shortness of breath went to the Er did blood work, ekg and X-rays and everything was normal. 2 weeks later I experienced left arm pain and my face numb and they did the same thing and everything was normal and they told me for the second time it was anxiety. Went to a cardiologist a month later and did stress test and ekg and everything was normal. But I'm still concerned because I have left arm pain sometime my left side hurts by my breast and on the side by the arm pit and my back I can't take a relax deep breath and sometimes I yawn and that I
Guess makes my chest hurt. Don't know what to do . Sometime I'm just scared I might die. Really scared what should I do!
Hi everyone,

It is sad to see that these post start as early as 2007 and still nobody has had a true success story.

I have worked in the nursing field for over 9 years and I will be 31 in March. I just knew that I would be doing so much more than what I am today. My severe upper left shoulder and back pain has caused a lot of grief in my life. I have been in the start-up phase of my new business longer than what I should have been due to increasing pain in the previous stated areas. I am on my way to a Doctor's appt. in a few and I am going to have to give in and take the shots.
I was diagnosed with tendenosis and tendinitis in my left wrist and left shoulder about 3 years back and had been put on 800s because I don't take narcotics. The pain did go away for a while but recently has came back to give me he**
I will update when I come back. I probably will reconsider the narcotics...lol
Oh and to Crro, you will not die?
You probably pulled a muscle and/or have pinched nerves, nerve damage, tendenosis, or tendinitis.
We have lymph nodes through out the entire body and in those areas it is common to feel them. Just watch for swollen glands and speak with your Doctor sbould the proper way to give yourself a mammogram.
It sounds like you have pain symptoms that are causing anxiety because you don't know what is going on with your body.
Best of luck to you my dear.
I have the same problem, left shoulder blade stabbing, pins and needles down my left arm, I can't breathe properly, this has Destroyed my life I want to cry... I don't know what to do, had ultrasound, MRI, x ray and nothing.. I am sick of being told its anxiety when I felt a burst in my shoulder blade, since this I can't breathe properly... Suffered for one year now...Does anyone from 2007 have an answer, I would love to know how u are going..

Good luck!
From mala
I have the same problem. When I turn my head left or right it I get pain in my upper left back by shoulder blade and it feels like something is pinching me by my left shoulder blade. If I am riding in a car on a bumpy road the pain gets so bad that the left side of my head hurts too. I cannot lie on my left side anymore because it gets so bad I am in tears after a five minutes and it feels like something wants to snap in half. I cannot live with this.
It's sad to see we all have a problem and noone is giving an answer... Hello, is there any doctor out there that can give some good advice... Please help us!!!!
Late July 2012 is when it started for me.  I fell on my left shoulder playing soccer and felt a little on pain and stopped playing.  Then less than 5 minutes the pain was gone.  About 5 days later I woke up with a numbness feeling and shooting pains.  I went to the clinic and they did an EKG and the result was abnormal heart beat.  Heart rate was between 33-53 beats a minute.  I got rushed to the ER where I did a CAT Scan, Xray, and blood work.  All negative for a Heart attack.  Then was scheduled to see a heart specialist and a neurologist.  With the Heart specialist I past a stress test with no problems.  Wore a heart monitor with no problems as well.  

I had an MRI done of the left shoulder and cervical spine done.  The results of the MRI was there is a Cyst in the left shoulder with slight encroachment of a nerve andminor arthritis.  Cervical Spine there is disc hernations between c-3, c-4, and c-6 also minor narrowing of the spine.

The first neurologist did the EMG test to see where a pinched nerve was at.  The results of that test just showed a slight nerve blockage behind the left elbow and carpal tunnel of the right wrist.  There is no pinched nerve.

Saw the first orthopedic doctor which tried a cortisone shot in the shot which just made me get nausea right away and didn't help the pain.  Then proceeded to tell me to just live with it.  

I have tried physical therapy twice with no help.  I had one MRI, a few X-rays, and two CAT Scans.  

Right now trying pain management to help with the pain.

Still don't have an answer to what is causing the pain in the upper left shoulder blade?
Also I have the upper pain, but I have no problems with breathing at all
Hi everyone. I have had a problem with back pain in between my left shoulder blade and spine that feels like a burning/pinching/stabbing annoyance that progresses through the day to become unbearable. I've been to the ER and was prescribed muscle relaxers and 800mg ibuprofen. Neither of which help. I am also a chef and am constantly lifting pans with my left and right arms, sometimes overhead. I have also started(4 months ago) to notice severe pain in my left shoulder sometimes radiating to my chest as well as down my arm. I believe(as I am no doctor) that all of this pain is due to a torn rotator cuff. I am not sure but it all makes sense. I believe it is due to the fact that I have a lot of repetitive movements of 10+ pounds throughout 10 hour shifts. I also know that this type of damage can happen suddenly from falls or improper lifting(mine seems to be from 19 years in the business). Know that the shoulder blade, shoulder and collarbone are all involved when moving your arm, so the pain can seem like it's coming from your back. I deal with pain daily and by the end of the week I'm ready to rip people's heads off. Unfortunately I can't take time off of work. I would suggest to many to get your shoulder checked, it may not be a back problem, however it could easily be a herniated disc. Good luck, pain *****.
I had left shoulder injury for 34 years when I was in military.  after 34 years and a lot of pain they decided to do surgery on it.  over the years I have develop lower  left  back problem.  my back hurt so bad that sometime it take me 3-4 hours to get going after I get out of bed.  I feel my lower back pain is due to my injury left shoulder for 34 years.    
Do yourself a favor don't waste time with x rays from what I have been reading ask your doctor for a  MRI or referral to a specialist that will .I hurt my shoulder using a weed eater I have lived with pain but this had me running to ER I lost use of both arms in the kitchen on a Saturday night vanity kept me from going that night I could not shower or change clothing next day ER x ray I think they thought I was having a heart attack the first words were your heart looks good and lungs gave me 2 shots and 2 prescriptions I felt a little better for a few days..I stuck it out for over a week not better went to doctor asked for MRI .The doctor did 7 more x-rays and told me I had arthritis if it didn't get better he would do MRI, Well I knew I have arthritis and have bursitis in other shoulder I am frightened that it will get worse because something was overlooked. I love my doctor I new better to get a squeeze in he was leaving on vacation out of the country I'm sure I didn't have 100% I still have the pain in a spot it feels like sharp glass is under my blade pain down arm to elbow 2 fingers on hand go numb. I pray I don't get the hiccups or have to sneeze . I cannot take a deep breath without much pain. I need to take my own advice but for now (Follow your gut). We know when something is very wrong with our body's not always bye the book. Best of luck please post your outcome it may help others .
Hi, I am experiencing the exact same pain. for about the same length of time it hurts way worse  lying down for   whatever  reason. So bad to the point that in the morning it  feels   like   I've   only  had a true   2-3    hours  of    sleep.  My doctor, like so many  act like  they aren't taking you serious. I've  been taking this pain killer he prescribed that is supposedly stronger than a Tylenol 3. It didn't even  put  a dent  in the pain, then  after the first 60-70  pills, he  increased the dosage  to 2 pills(4 times a day) insisting this will    take care of the pain.... still nothing.  I've even tried 3 of these things, and finally after about 150 of these pills and 4 physio appointments I'm in the same place I was 4-5 weeks ago. I've heard acupuncture  works for some   people,  so I  might try that, nothing else is helping. About a week and a half ago the   pain around my shoulder blade reduced, but then pain shifted to my left arm with numb fingers. Now the pain is shifting back to my shoulder blade area. Very sceptical of chiropractors, but  almost ready to even give them a try. The   pain almost  makes you feel desperate, especially when 3  different  doctors and xrays don't reveal anything. Now i'm on a waiting list of about 8 weeks. Just long enough for the pain to go away, just like it did 8-10 months ago. I'm 46, tired of the pain, because it is constant 24 hours a day. Sorry you're going through the same thing.  
Hi, I just read what you posted and when I seen what you had said about the weed eater it hit me...about a month ago I was cutting a path through the trees with weed eater/shrub cutter attachment. It sounds ridiculous but, I had cut a walking path on our new property, the path was 5 feet wide, in 2 days I had cut approx. 350 yards of path with no shoulder strap. Right around the time of my pain problems. But if it's knotted muscle why won't strong pain killers put a dent in the pain. I am amazed at how many young people are on this site with the exact same problem. Is it normal for so many young people to be experiencing this pain. When I started reading on this site I expected most people to be my age or older...not the case at all, if anything there are as many people half or less than half my age on here. But one thing they, and all of us on this site have in common, we all use computers, lap tops, or smart phones. It's not like watching television for 2- hours a night, because you are 8-10 feet away from it maybe more, and you can sit back relax, adjust your sitting position. On a lap top or smart phone you are hunched usually and can't really relax your shoulders. There's tennis elbow....how about computer shoulder. If you don't spend 2 hours a night or day on your computer like I do, I'm sorry I wasted your time reading this. But I'm just trying to come up with ideas as to what is causing this obviously very common problem. I just don't understand why pain killers aren't working for me or most of everyone else here. Maybe our muscles tense up and knot up so bad from being in this hunched position for so long that pain killers and muscle relaxers aren't ABLE to fix it.The pain for me has been constant(24 hrs/day) for about a month. I went through the same thing about 10 months ago, after taking pain meds that didn't work for a few weeks the pain eventually went away until a month ago. But when it comes back, it comes back with a vengeance. Like most everyone else, I haven't had a car accident or any bad falls, and I'm not 80 years old or more. So what is causing this?????    
Reading what all of you have written, it is strange. I finally got a diagnoses of CRPS/RSD. I thought I had pulled a muscle. It felt like someone at one point had stabbed me under my shoulder blade. Felt pain under my breast on left side.
Hi my name is Monique and I'm 42 my left shoulder neck back/forearm hurts so bad the pain is unbearable I can't look up nor turn my head and my hand feels like its burning all the time what can I do? I've been to my doctor and had many trips to the E.R and they do absolutely nothing for me. But give me ibuprofen .gabapatin and flexil but that don't work can you give me some advise. please.
Right now, you are getting symptomatic treatment only -- the treatment of pain. And that doesn't sound very effective.

Incidentally, try applying ice packs to the neck and shoulder region. Ice has a tremendous effect in numbing pain.

To treat your problem you first need a diagnosis.

To see if there is an underlying anatomical or pathological problem behind your pain, you'll need to see a physician who can take a health history, make a physical exam, including a neurological examination. Nerve conduction studies may be ordered to determine if your problem is neurological or muscular (or both) in origin.

Treatment generally begins with a PCP or generalist, who can perform a the basics neurological exam. If your problem is not apparent from basic medical examination technique, then a specialist experienced with your symptomatology may be appropriate, and your PCP can make a proper referral.

Proper treatment of the underlying problem causing pain can only begin after a diagnosis is made, so get to it.

Best wishes.
I rolled over a golf ball on the floor for about 15 minutes and it really helped.  For me I think it was just some kind of knot in a muscle in my shoulder/neck/back area.
I have this burning, stabbing, pulsing pain and sometimes even this electrical surge in my left upper back and I feel most of these horrible pains 24/7 on my scapula (shoulder blade).  I have had X-Ray, CT scan and MRI and none of them showed anything related to this pain.  I tried chiropractor with no effects and been to ER twice due to this excruciating pain. First they came up with pleurisy, second time with muscle spasm! I tried massage therapy and found these small spots (about a dime) on my back between my vertebras and shoulder blade that are so painful to touch and when the massage therapist started, she went so gently first because the pain was unbearable.  She used the technic called acupressure.  After massage the pain goes up but you can always tell if it was effective, the next day. I have to wait another 20 hours to tell you the result.  I am sure it is effective but the problem is the insurance doesn't pay for it.  I am taking Ibuprofen 2400mg a day and recently I have noticed they are not as effective as before and I had to ask my PCP for stronger painkiller and he gave me some opiates to use as needed since some days  or nights specially, the pain is much worse than others.  This situation has been going on for almost 5 months now a I hope this is not my fate for the rest of my life since those who unfortunately have this pain know that what I am talking about.  It is not easy to bear with pain 24/7.  Pain killers reduce the pain but don't eliminate it.  I am in the waiting list to see a orthopedic physician and if he cannot figure out where this pain comes from, my last chance would be a neurologist. The medical science with all the trumpeting advancements, is in its infancy yet and there are many complex activities in the human body that these MDs have no clue about them.
Hi saturn2015,
Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Does the pain move? It sounds like by your description that it moves across your back and probably a severe tightness all the time in your shoulder blade. Do you have any neck pain? Does turning your head to the right make the pain worse?
For everyone here on this forum, if the pain moves across a large area (down your arm, across your back, across your collar bone etc.) this is nerve. No other tissue in your body has pain move a far distance except potentially referred pain. Where have you had an MRI scan of? What part of your body? Sometimes pain can be referred from gall bladder issues into the shoulder blade but most often the guilty party is C5-C7 of the cervical spine. It feels like you need to crack your back, or if you could just get something massaged out it would be better. This is the nerve misfiring and causing muscle spasms. The "small spots" the massage therapist is finding is the either fascia or muscle fibers that are scarring from the spasms. You need to have your GP do an MRI of your cervical spine with T2 weighted images and look for a herniated disc. Where are you located? Country of origin?
Hi Chef,
Based on the pain you are describing including burning and radiating to different areas, it is your neck, not your back. While your neck may seem like it feels fine, you actually put a lot of stress on it in your business when you are lifting things far away from your body and especially overhead. The fact the pain gets worse over the course of the day indicates the swelling, inflammation and irritation get worse and pinch the nerve more severely as the day goes on. I would suggest that you get to a good physical therapist who is trained in the Mackenzie technique. This helps the discs recentralize and stop causing problems if in fact they are the culprit. Based on your statement of 19 years in the business it is possible you are experiencing pain due to narrowing of the foramen which are the pathways the nerves take to exit away from the spinal cord. Your symptoms are classic indications of C5-C7 and should not be delayed in getting appropriate care. Seeing a physical therapist trained in appropriate spinal techniques can significantly help, so don't delay.
I am in Colorado, USA. I haven't been to orthopedic physician appointment yet and I think he is the one who can put the pieces of this back pain puzzle together and come up with a correct diagnosis. I had an MRI of thoracic spine. However, a physical therapist suggested having an MRI of the cervical segment of vertebras too. The radiologist didn't mention anything about a herniated disc. I think I have too major pains in my left upper back. One is on the left side of vertebras about T2 to T5 area and it's a burning but dull pain unless, I don't take pain killer, then the pain is excruciating and a combination of burning, throbbing, and aching. The other pain is around the edge of my shoulder blade but it's not on shoulder blade since a chiropractor checked my scapula (shoulder blade) by pushing his fingers under my scapula and it was all fine. When he pressed against the rhomboid muscle under the scapula, then he found at least couple of very painful areas. The pain in on and around the edge of scapula is more of a burning and stabbing pain. Later, when I thought about it, I thought that the stabbing pain is a result of scapula pressing or rubbing on rhomboid muscle, which in turn gives me that stabbing sensation. However, I found massage relieving the pain only for a short while and after the second massage session I had, my pain increased! I’ll post more after my visit to orthopedic physician.
Sorry, I forgot to answer your first question. No, the pain doesn't move around very far and it used to feel around the bottom of my scapula (shoulder blade), now, it's a little higher or at some point I had a painful area close to the top of my shoulder. One more thing I forgot to mention is the pain extends into my upper arm and forearm, even my small finger sometimes. I had even an experience of pain in my left side of skull (bone pain), not headache and my eye socket bones as well as my left jaw and teeth even at least couple of times. Now a days, the pain in my arm comes and goes no matter if I have been on pain killer for two hours or four hours or six! I hope I can find what generates this pain before by body builds total resistance for these pain killers. I can go for acupuncture, but first, I have to know what causes the pain and second, I have to pay out of pocket since the insurance doesn't pay. Ironically and unfortunately, the insurance doesn't pay for what makes your condition to improve and even be eliminated. It pays for pharmaceutical drugs, which in most cases prolong the disease hence, profit for provider and big pharma! Think about it.  
Did this pain ever go away for you or was it diagnosed? Because I had the same thing for years and years and everyone thought I was being a big baby but last week I had shoulder surgery to repair my rotator cuff. I'm 62 and had a car accident at 21 where my arm flew out the window. Bone spur was causing my rotator cuff not to work properly, and at this point it's so thin that if it had torn it would not have been able to repair it. Pain is in my neck comes around the back shoulder blade and it's in the muscle in the front and the back of my arm.
This pain sounds exactly to what I've had for years... I just had rotator cuff surgery last week because I had a bone spur that has been damaging my rotator cuff. The doctor said my shoulder is trashed at this point and I will never be able to do the lifting and the digging in the garden and then I have done in the past. If someone had diagnosed the sooner it would have been a whole lot better
Viewing 201-209 comments: