Sharp pain in upper back and left shoulder, pain increase upon breathing.
I have been having a sharp burning pain in my upper back mostly on the left side by the shoulder blade.  At times my neck and left arm are effected too. The pain is present upon rising and lasts throughout the day. I am concous of my posture and do not believe it to be the cause. The pain worsens if i am carring anything at arms lengths or even if i am carring a light bag over either of my shoulders.  I have tried; hot, cold, advil and exercise but i haven't seen any releif for the past 5 months. The only thing i think that could have caused the pain is when i moved about 5 months ago.  There was a great deal of lifting and stress. I am 26 years old and feel like this pain is limiting my ability to go about my daily task. Any suggestions please?
sorry to hear of your pain.In 1997 I myself had neck and sholder pain.It started in my left sholderblade then went to the neck,and then the left arm.The pain would shoot down my left arm.I tried severale Docters and i think every form of treatment possible.Therapy,shots in the spine you name it.I would tell you Go to a great nerosurgon and ask for a MRI.This will show pinched nerves.Just like what you more than likely have.This is why when you breath it hurts.I let myself go to long and my nearve in my left arm was cut almost into.I was less than a cenameter from being peralized from the neck down.I got a MRI and went to a great sergon had sergery and am doing gteat.You more than likely have a blown disk or slight disk hurniation ,disk bulg.This pinches the nerves causing great pain.I am a 34 year old male Thats been there.
                               Tigerb
hi
i too have had similar pain, it started about 6 months ago, the pain is mostly in the upper left area of my back, under the shoulder blade. when i take a deep breath i can feel it. also, when i sneeze it feels like theres a bubble in my back about to burst and i get a sharp pain. lately, my neck has been sore, just on the left side almost like a crick from sleeping in a draft. my left shoulder hurts when i lift my hand above my head or stretch it out in front of me. i have been to the doctor, had xrays and was told it was tissue and massages would work it out..not the case!
I have had the same problems for weeks if not months now, when i sneeze i get a real bad pain which now sometimes almost results me to tears i try to lay flat so it doesnt hurt so much or stand flat against the wall but it doesnt work. It feels like its my left sholder blade and it makes me say arrr loudly when it happens. Over the past week its been making my entire upper back ache and over the last 2 days even my neck is being effected.  I havent seen my gp as yet as i thought it was just an ache but now i know its not the case. Sometimes it makes my arm have a funny sensation. When i cough if its a deep cough or deep breath it also hurts.
I dont know what to think and am worried about it. Im 25 years old any advice would be great,
Thank you
I have had somewhat of the same pain except it only hurts when i breath in and is only on my left upper back. Not anywhere else. I woke up with it this morning and i don't know what it is from. Its not a severe pain but i don't want it to get to that point.I am only 19 any suggestions on what to do.

I have had a painful right shoulder for a couple of days that really hurts when I breathe in. Its like a sharp stabbing pain. I have tried pain killers and heat patches and occasionally it goes away, but when its at its worst I just want to cry!! I cannot rest it as I have 5 month old twins to look after. I am just recovering from tendonitis in my right wrist, and feel that the pain has travelled up my arm to my shoulder - its a nightmare!! I just want to be pain free. I hate pestering my GP - don't want him to think I'm a pest!! My husband thinks I'm just attention seeking, get no sympathy from him!! I have my last laser treatment session next monday for my tendonitis, so am going to mention this to my physiotherapist. Does anyone have any explanation as to what this might be - or what else I can try to ease the pain!! Am wondering if it is a pinched nerve like 'tigerb' suggested.
I have had this same issue.  Feels like a bubble in your upper back and moves up and down with sharp stinging pain through out.  I believe that this is due to your digestive system.  This may be a complication from muscle tension or general stress.  Practice breathing and relaxing your muscles especially during nights rest.  
ive been having problems with my upper back its painful and when i try to strech my back it hurts and its like my bones click and its giving pain to my left arm near my shoulder blades been like this for near over a month know can any one help me pls its depressing me.
If anyone of you finds a answer/solution to what all of you have been sharing, I would like to hear it.  Last night the pain in my shoulder, neck, arms, and hands was bad enough that i wasn't having success with pain control.  Finally late last night, some relief came from the pain meds I tried and i was able to sleep.  Tonight I am back to hurting.  I hate hurting since I have experienced it often enough that I am ready give up quicker now then before.  I am trying to decide if i want to go to the ER to see what they can do plus I want it to be seen by  medical people  so they can document it.  I am tired of being brushed off as the pain being just the way it is.

Ann
I was (am) having similar pain - left upper back near shoulder blade, traveling down left arm with numbness or pins and needles feeling in arm.  I don't necessarily notice it just when I'm breathing - it's pretty much constant and I'm always trying to find a position where it doesn't hurt.  Anyway, after doing some reading I had a hunch it had something to do with the cervical (neck) spine and a woman who recently had spine surgery referred me to a neurologist.  (She started with him, but when it became obvious she needed surgery, was referred to an orthopedic surgeon.)  She felt the good thing about starting with a neurologist is they aren't biased toward surgery.  I didn't realize neurologists are specialists in the spine as well as brain.  Anyway, long story short, I went, he sent me for an MRI and physical therapy and prescribed a muscle relaxer in addition to Naproxen.  The MRI showed I have cervical spondylosis, which is like arthritis of the spine, and there is a herniated disk pressing on a nerve root that goes to the places I'm having pain.  I'm still in the process of seeing if physical therapy will help - they give you exercises to strengthen the muscles around the joints so there will be less stress on the joints.  After seeing the Dr. and taking the meds, my pain slowly went away for a couple of weeks, but now it is back in full force after I went back to my weight lifting (big mistake, I guess).  My advice, go to a specialist - neurologist or orthopedist.  My Dr. didn't minimize my pain at all, thank goodness.
Do any of you also get pain in the shoulder blade when you swallow food?
OK, well I, as well, have pain in my right upper back, near my shoulder, kind of feels like my lungs when I'm BREATHING REAL HEAVY, while running.. This slows me down and does not allow me to push my self because the harder I am breathing the more it hurts. I never have pain other than then. Once I sit down an rest for a few minutes there is not pain, that is why I think in my case it has to do with my lungs contracting.
Wow, it' amazing to see how many people are expiriencing the same things. Yet no one ever really gets any answers. I'm not one for doctors and medicines. I prefer to try to "fix it myself". Although this one seems to be getting worse and worse. I have flare ups approx. four to five times a year when everything hurts. I have the "buble" feeling under my left  shoulder blade. Sometimes I can do neck rolls while moving the arm and shoulder and it "pops" with agonizing pain. But afterwards the pain is "all gone". But now I have developed the numbness in my shouldrer, arm and hand. I belive that I also have RA as my suster was diagnosed with RA a few years ago. I had my son in March of 2007 and in  the following year what I belive is RA has gotten ten times worse. All of the adds you see for the "treatments" give such a long list of sideeffcts, which to me sound worse than what I already have, I feel there is no use to go to a doctor to get it? I am currently researching the possibility of herbal/homeopathic remedies. Anyone have any sugesstions?
It's good to know that im not alone, i've been having pain in my left shoulder, like under the blade. It hurts up through my neck at times and my left arm. The weird thing is, it aches worse when i breath hard or swallow hard or food.  I've only been experiancing this for a few days but it seems to be getting worse and i cant seem to remember doing anything that would have provoked this. I dont know if i should go to a doctor or not because muscle pain is common in my family and doctors never seem to do anything that helped make the pain go away for them. Any ideas?
It would be beneficial to get a medical exam and possible x-rays of your cervical spine.
This will visualize any structural changes in your spinal column and allow the doctor to determine if there is a possibility of nerve involvement.  To verify any nerve involvement you would need an MRI.
I started with very similar symptoms as you describe.  X-rays showed degenerative disc disease and the MRI showed disc herniations at multiple levels and spinal canal stenosis which was putting pressure on my spinal cord and the spinal nerve roots.
I had surgery (ACDF C4-C7) six weeks ago and the recovery has been great!
Most of my preop symptoms were gone within 3 hrs of the surgery.  I would not hesitate to have the surgery again.
This does not mean that you will need surgery at this time, but it is a good idea to get all the diagnostic testing done upfront to enable your doctors to establish the most appropriate treatment.
Post again with an update ----
I had similar pain for about two years now. My pain feels like a sharp bubble like pain that goes in the middle of my back, under my left breast, left shoulder, neck and sometimes my chest. I have been to doctor after doctor trying to find what is causing the pain. Does anyone else have this same pain????  PLEASE HELP
I recently went threw this same situation With sharp pain starting in my Left Shoulder blade.  I was sitting in my office chair watching TV surfing the web, then out of no where i get this strong sharp pain in my left shoulder, then about 5-10mins later it had gone right into my left upper chest.  i tried taking Tylenol at first thinking i may have pulled a muscle or worse maybe it could have been my Heart. i tried laying down the pain seem to get worse so i ended up sleeping in a Recliner.  i wasn't Evan able to obtain a long amounts of sleep maybe 30mins to 1hr at a time, once 8am came around i couldn't take the pain any longer, and decided it would all get dealt with faster in the Er than at a Dr office.  I go into the er, and the admitting nurse from my symptoms says kinda sounds like it could be the start of Pneumonia, but after all the tests, blood work and a Chest X-ray front/side view they diagnosed me with "Spontaneous Pneumothrorax" (Collapsed Lung) i asked the doctor how did this happen when i was just sitting not doing any strain on my chest at all, and not to mention im not a smoker and im in Good health.  The Dr, and Nurses all told me im text book Material for this kind of thing.. they Said "Spontaneous" is just the answer, your Tall Slender so this tends to happen. I was shocked, but my case wasn't so severe that i needed a Chest tube, the OR Dr. thought it was best Put me on 100% flowing Oxygen and to wait over night and to do another X-ray in the morning to see if i was any better/ worse..  i hadn't changed so they kept me 1 more night.  They Dr. Felt that i would get better, and that he released me 2 days from my Er visit. and Scheduled a Follow up Visit with him at his Office to make sure things weren't Getting worse.  I hope this was of some help to the Select few that read this, with the same Conditions.. I do suggest how ever with any pain related to the ''Left arm, with some chest pain" that you seek medical attention asap, due to the fact in some chances it could be your Heart, cause that was my First thought actually.  Well best of luck to you all thanks for reading this...

Sincerely James
I went to my cardiologist and had a treadmill and sonogram of the heart. He said I have a little MVP. But I still have this pain in my back between my shoulders. The comes and goes, some days it doesn't bother me and others the pain is overwhelming.  I have been to doctor after doctor. Thank you for your comment.
I am having severe pain in my left scapula area with pain in the forearm with tingling and numbness going into my hand and have had this  for about the last 6 months. I went to my Dr and she suspected that I had an underlying conditon so the lab work began 21 vials on one of the visits. So far all I know is that I have had 4 ANA tests 2 possitive and 2 negative. RA has been ruled out, I have had 2 Dr's tell me that I have fibromyalgia and 2 telling me I don't. I go to a chiropractor once a week and have accupuncture with very little relief. He tells me to stretch and I do and it makes it worse. Oh and lets not forget the wonderful nerve conduction study test which has made the pain a lot worse. That test showed that my muscles in my left forearm are always firing. I am always tired and now dealing with the pain and not getting no answers and no relief even taking pain pills. I am worried, upset, tired, not only what it is doing to me, but my wonderful husband, although he is very understanding but I know it is also effecting him and our relationship (it's not) but that is the way I feel. Sorry for the rant BUT I am tired of being poked and poked and no answers.
More info: It hurts to breath, cough, and sneeze. The pain and tingling really flares up when sitting. I do have degenerative joint disease  I also have a bulging disc I believe it is C5 with bone spurs, I had an MRI a few years ago following an auto accident. Should I have another MRI or other imaging tests. I did have an x-ray nothing was said so I am assuming it hasn't changed since the last one.
Based on the escalating severity of your symptoms it would be beneficial to discuss additional diagnostic tests with your doctor.  It is possible that there have been some interval changes regarding your DDD of the cervical spine since your last MRI.
X-ray exams can see structural changes but the MRI is needed to verify any nerve involvement that could be the cause of your pain and sensory changes in your arm/hand.
The bone spurs noted on previous exam could have increased in size and might be causing some additional nerve compression/irritation.
Nerve conduction testing does verify potential carpal tunnel and ulnar nerve entrapment, but due to the severity of your shoulder/scapular pain, it seems likely that the root cause of your symptoms is related to further degenerative changes in your cervical spine.

Are any of the doctors you have been consulting either orthopedic or neurology specialists?  Have they been informed of your prior MRI findings?
Hopefully additional imaging films will provide the information needed to initiate appropriate treatment.

Best wishes ----
I started with my PD and she sent me to a rhumatologist, and then another. I see a pain specialist which has begun doing tests. I will call my PD today and have her order an MRI to see if there are any changes noted there. I have made sure that all Dr's that I have seen get all copies of all lab work and also x-rays and the MRI as I take them there myself.
i have the same thing with you guys, im  just 16. it just started when i and my friends have a practice for our street dance, we practice 3 hours non-stop, then when am home nothings happened but when im at school by noon i fell the pain on the left side of the shoulder blade, at first i can relief but when it continued my left arm is affected as well as my neck and a little pain at my left brain and if i breath it aches. pls. do help me... i haven't in the doctor yet.
Hi...if u r doing baby freezes and typical hip hop moves out on the street, u will have pain....but do see ur dr to be sure u have nothing else going on.

"selma"
I have the same pain in my left shoulder blade but it's also my right one at times and I have had this pain for about 2 years and I'm only 19 and it *****. What should I do?
Hello All, Thanks for posting your symptoms. I have been having similar pains first was  on the right side now it's on the left just below the shoulder blade. when i cough, a sharp pain radiates through my neck shoulder and back nerves. I'm 38 and a Diabetic, with no health insurance and recently lost my business due to the economy. My Doctor have no been giving me a satisfactory answer based on my pains. I must mention that i am taking crestor for cholesterol and insulin and oral medication for my diabetes. The possible diagnosis i have seen here is better that what i get from my doctor. I can't go to any other doctor or the ER because i can't afford it and don't want to place an additional financial burden on my family. i am interested in any homeopathic alternatives.Thanks again for sharing your stories.
OMG, I have this pain in my upper left shoulder blade, which extends to my lower neck and my left arm.  It is as if someone is inserting a knife into my shoulder blade, which then creates pain everywhere else.  I am taking ibuprofen and using IcyHot but the pain only weakens for a while; it does not fully go away.  Can someone please tell me what my next step should be - what type of doctor should I see?  I am a healthy person and have never had medical / health problems.  I am 38 years old and realize that it's time to make myself a priority and have this seen about.  I cannot function like this.  It woke me up two hours ago (middle of the night) and I am still awake and in tears.  I cannot lie down because it causes the pain to get stronger and I cannot lift my head if I lie down so I have to sit straight up.  Please...anyone have advice???
I am exactly the same! I eventrually went to casualty yesterday, where I was almost unable, crying as I tried to and having my breath taken away as a movement jarred my back. He does not think it is skeletal and took a blood sample to rule out kidney and water problems. He has now given me diazepan to relax my muscle and told me to go back to my docs to asked to be refered to a muscle pain specialist. I am thinking of going to an osteopath or chiropractor but unsure whether they help with only skeletal probs rather than muscle. I feel like screaming and often tell my bf that I don't wanna wake up in the mornings, just to face another day like this. Its almost like my muscles seize up and someone is twisting knives in my shoulders. All I do is cry and scream and for someone that is usually such a happy person and just wants to get on with it, its horrible being depressed. The doc says keep moving, and although it makes me wanna pass out I have been doing stretches. I am on co codamol pain relief every 4 hours, voltaral anti inflammatries every 6 hours, a weak dose of amiriptyline-which has recently been doubled and now diazepan, all of which are helping very little!
I have been having sharp stabing pain underneth my left shoulder blade since I was 17, I'm 22 now. My shoulder also always pops and grinds whenever I move it to the front or back. It seems to happen whenever I am stressed. It gets to the point that I am unable to move my entire left arm. The pain shoots up the left side of my neck and down my entire left arm. When I was about 3 years old my arm was somewhat dislocated and strained when I was pulled off a bike. This is the only serious injury I have had to my arm. I haven't had any other injuries since then. I know that sometimes pain here is caused by stomach and intestine problems. Which I have had since 2007. But the pain had started before that, so I belive it was from my previous injury. I have been to several doctors who have taken x-ray and MRIs. I was always told that they were unable to find anything wrong with the area. If anyone has any pain relife techniques please let me know. Im to the point that I can't even preform at my office day job.
Sharp muscle knots in between my shoulder blade and spine occur almost on a regular basis for me. It happens when I'm under alot of pressure/stress or may have slept wrong? It's a great thing my best friend is a DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy). One night, I asked him what a GOLF BALL was doing on his floor, he doesn't even play golf. His response, "to get rid of the tight muscle knots I have in my back." Amazed! Now wheneever I have a knot in my back (like I do right now) all I do is roll on a golf ball and it INSTANTLY removes the knot on my back. I LOVE IT!!! Unfortunately I have been to massage therapists who made the problem only WORSE. The stiffness moved up into the base of my neck! It was the most excruciating pain ever felt. I guarantee, the golf ball rounded stiff edges will dig deep into that painful muscle releasing pressure from within. Applying a heat pad, hydration and stretching the tense muscle will also help. Having knots in your back is a huge burden. Can't comfortably move on with life. I hope this helps you all!
  My situation is kind of backwards... about a year ago I started having constant headaches.  The were tolerable but always there and varried in severity.  I also was having difficulties with getting out of bed feeling fatigued and my legs felt asleep, and frequently felt that way all day.
  They ran several tests and found nothing. I insisted that something was wrong.  They took an MRI and found sever abnormalities with my brain involving some type of luekodystrophy (sp?)
  The numbness and lack of strength varies on the day but about 5 days ago I started having the pain under my left shoulder blade (that most of you have experienced) and it wont go away.  I have also noticed that the numbness in different areas has been worse than usual and my neck is really stiff.
  If any of you have more information about what I could do please email me @ ***@****  I am 28 and in good health the nuerologist said I should be doing far worse than I am, according to my MRI results so I suppose I should count my blessings.
my mother has this everynight, she can not lay down on her back and the pain is driving her to tears, HALP!
I'm a masseuse who has been in private practice for 22 years and I know your problem well - it's common and I know the pain can be excruciating. First let me explain what's going on, where, and what you can do to relieve the pain. It's really quite simple. What you have is called an active trigger point. The reason it's difficult to get at is because it's located in the serratus posterior superior muscle and the trigger point is under the shoulder blade. If you have a masseuse work on this problem you must lay on your side so your arm hangs forward so your scapula (shoulder blade) moves out of the way. You can relieve the pain yourself by laying on a tennis or golf ball while you lay on your back on the floor with your knees bent. Your arm must be positioned across your chest so your shoulder blade moves out of the way. Place the balls underneath the sore spot and let your body weight add the pressure.

Warm regards,
I swear if this pain doesn't stop, I'm going to take a scalpel myself and cut the damn area out! I have had this pain somewhat close to almost a year and a half now. I'm only fifteen years old, and it seems to me that there is nothing to help my pain. It's in my upper back, left side, under the shoulder blade and it brings me to the verge of tears every time I get what I call a "zing" of pain. This "zing" is the worst shooting/stabbing/burning/pinching/aching pain ever for me.It literally feels like someone is putting out their lit cigarette on my back!  I've been to hospital clinical studies, neurosurgeons, regular physicians, physical therapists, etc. I have had a total of three MRI's in the course of three months, and yet nothing shows up! I am also a catcher for softball, so there was speculation as to whether or not it had anything to do with that. At first, I considered it. But then, why all of a sudden at the mere age of fifteen does my back hurt like the pits of hell, and I've been catching for almost three years? The only pain "subsider" that seems to have helped me just a little has been this machine called a TENS unit. (Transcutanular Electrode Neuro Stimulator) Even then, the pain still manages to pull through that thing! This is so aggravating, and it would truly be the best thing that has ever happenned to me if their was just one answer to my problem. Please help me get better!
I couldn't stand the wonderful nerve test either. I mean COME ON! The pain isn't bad enough, let's stab needles in your back to see if this tells us that your pain is real!
hi i am 20 and have had this pain for  7 months now i am getting depressed with it because i cant so anything anymore and it suxs i dont feel normal. im sick of going to doctors and them telling me its musckular pain when i know its not. also the pain carry's on to my left breast and then i get sharp pain from under my left side of my ribs right up to my chest i thought something was wrong with my heart because i get paplertations witth this pain im over it sometomes i feel like killing myself because the doctors dont belevie me nad i want to be normal again i wanna have kids even having fun wth my partner hurts and i just cry and am always holding my breast and pulling and punshing my shoulder blade .. so over it i havnt touched any alcohol for 8 months due to me not knowing what is wrong and im 21 soon and want to have a good night .. please help email me at ***@**** please
It MAY be caused by a strained neck/shoulder muscle. I have the same issue. Check out this site, it helped me: http://www.julstro.com

When I press on the muscle on the side of my shoulder and breathe, there is no pain at all. When I let go, and breathe, the pain returns. Hope it's a simple for everyone else.

Good luck.
About 7 weeks ago I woke up with a really sharp stabbing pain behind my left scapula.  At first I thought I slept on it wrong.  I took a bad fall down some stairs about 4 months ago, but did not have any pain after (besides a bruised tailbone) The pain starts at the left scapula and radiates up my spine to my neck and down my left side (shooting pain is only with certain movements).  My left arm from my interior shoulder to my elbow starts tingling with certain potions.  I went to the Chiropractor several times with no luck.  My PCP referred me to physical therapy.  I have gone about 7 times.  PT does heat/ultrasound/massage therapy with light stretching exercises.  I still have the pain.  I also suffer from occasional migraines that just began about 2 years ago.  I don’t feel like my doctor believes me that I am in pain.

Does anyone know what this could be?
im a 16 yr old male and I'm suffering from same pains (upper back). i find it hard to get in any comfortable posture, everyway i move hurts. It started this morning when i woke up, i thought it was because i was working out yesterday evening and it's just a bit sore.. but that does not seem to be the case because everytime i move, i feel and hear a crunch in my back, and everytime i breathe the pain intensifies.. i read some stuff about it and to me it seems that the "scapular fracture" (fracture of the scapula) has similar symptoms as the ones im having..
I too am having a big issue with this only mine startd 4 days ago. If you ever got a charlie horse in your legs or feet you know what it feels like. Its like a charlie horse in my back everytime I move or breath and i doesnt go away. I cant breath sometimes it hurts so bad, I cant bend over.If I push on it and up it help a lil the pain isnt so bad but trying to relax or stretch it makes it worse. My house is a mess and my children are feeling neglected because Im in sooo much pain. I dont have health insurance so seeing a professional is out of the loop anyways. Its nowhere near my spine or arm just in my shoulder down to mid back. Feels like a bouncy ball is stuck between. Im going to try the golf ball thing lthough Im a big woman so itll be harder to do but anything for some releif!!!
Thank you for the advise from a professional.  I'm a 42 year old professional who is aware of my posture and is relatively active within an office setting.  Low risk of straining a muscle. I experienced flu-like symptoms in Nov and by Dec 4, the burning on my right shoulder blade to the spine started.  It burns like a 3rd degree sun burn or like when you mistakenly burn yourself while ironing.  It's now constant for 3-1/2 months with only 1 day of minor relief.  A GP told me that it was likely shingles brought on by stress.  Shingles is caused by the virus that gives us chicken pox.  It stays in the body - and one day - finds a nerve to crawl onto to cause us pain.  I believe this diagnosis - except I have not experienced the blisters or rash.  (Perhaps this is a mild case - although it doesn't seem so.)  I've not found relief and am not sure any exists since it is nerve related and not musco-skeletal - barring surgery of course.  But if it's truly the Herpes virus, it can attack again on another nerve.

I offer this information especially to the younger crowd suffering from this pain.  And, am hopeful for you that it is simply growing pains.

I strongly encourage everyone with a severe pain that lasts more than a few days to visit a doctor regardless of health coverage or income.  In my Bible study group, we prayed for three - yes 3- people that were diagnosed with cancer and their only symptom was back pain.  The cancer is elsewhere in the body - but the back is the nerve center for everything.  Don't neglect yourself - there is only one of you - and God put you here for a reason.  Don't underestimate His power but you have to do your part too.  Get help.
I am 30 years old and female. I have worked since I was 13 years old building furniture. It is a real fast past heavy job that I loved to do. When I was 20 years old I started having lower back pains it wasnt long when I was at work one day bent over I fell to the floor and could not walk they said it was a disk in my back causing my pain could not walk or work for a week . I could not even wear pants that came up where my back pain was because the pain was too great. I learned to live with it. Then about a year later I started having severe upper back pain . I t hurts when I take a breath. Its in between my shoulder blades Ihave had 45 mri s cat scan bone scans and x rays even been checked for spinal tap for infections. About 3 years ago at age 27 I could no longer hold down my job and had to quit. Im still having test done and seeing the dodtor every month for help on trying to find out how to fix me where I can get my life back. A ll he can tell me is its degerative disk disease . I also get injections into my elbow because the pain is so great I could not even move it. He said it was tennis elbow.My fingers swell twice the size they should have been and I could barley move them they were so stiff and swollen when I worked. My neck grinds when I turn it. He said that was arthritus. I am almost ready to give up on myself to try and find the cause of my pain that I suffer from in my upper back.I have been in pain for 10 years and I can not take it anymore.I tell my doctor every month same syptoms all he does is gives me pain medicine that has turned my liver bad over the last 10 years. I have trid finding more doctors some of them were nero surgeons and said I had fibromyalgia. Its just hard for me to believe I was only 20 when they told me that.My body feels old and I dont know how much longer my fight to find a cure can go on. anyone can help me please do so. i have a 10 and 6 years olds little girls that i am struggling to raise they are being deprived of all the things they want me to do for them that i am not able to do.
I'll share my story and some of the techniques I have used for the pain and where I sought treatment. I am by no means a medical professional, but I have had recurrent issues in various stages for more than 25 years. Yes, get a cup of tea and get comfy.  This is long.

I have the similar pain in/under the right shoulder blade as described and sometimes in my neck so bad my ears hurt too. It started when I was on crutches after knee surgery and went to one crutch/cane for about three weeks.  It would come and go.  I started going to Personal Trainer to get more help strengthening my knee (after completing physical therapy for knee), but kept upper body exercises to a minimum due to the pain.  We had to modify a lot of exercises that pull on your back - especially core exercises because they use the same muscles to stablize your back that are hurting!  Oh - and no lifting weights without doctor supervision!  You'll make it worse, even with the 3lb weights I was using to get started.   Chiropractic care made my symptoms worse (years ago), and I'd try accupuncture (it's about all I haven't tried yet), but insurance doesn't pay for it.

Sometimes exercise hurts, sometimes it helped.  A month ago, the Orthopedic specialist said my condition was a very advanced muscle spasm and sent me to Physical Therapy (my right shoulder was higher than the left and there was some "telltale curve" where the muscle was exaserbated).   He did not send me for Xrays or MRI at the time, which is nicely conservative (MRI's do NOT always show the details as they claim...my knee surgery is proof of this).  Well, I got "kicked out" of PT today after three weeks (2X a week) as I was not getting any significant changes to condition that brings me to tears and hurts to breath.  I also have Fibromyalgia and I know that the muscle spasm is over/under a known trigger point. I spent a month in pain management a few years ago which helped a lot and I still employ the techniques I learned to manage my Fibro pain almost daily.  My Pain Management Techniques (PMTs) are not doing much for this current pain issue on a consistent basis.   At PT, they tried putting kinesthesia (sp) tape over my right traps to keep the shoulder down and stop the muscle spasm, but I was allergic to the latex (welt/blister) and after three days, it didn't seem to help much...even got worse the longer it was on.  PT was going to put a medication mix on my skin to be absorbed through a specially made "pain patch," but the latex allergy stopped this.  A TENS unit was also suggested, but nixed.  I had some ultra sound as well.  Upon sending me on my way, they suggested professional massage at least once a month, use moist heat in the morning (hot shower or a hot, wet towel in a plastic bag with a towel around it).  During the day, watch your posture, using correct ergonomics for your job.  Try to remind yourself to keep your shoulders down throughout the day.  As we stress out, our "shoulders become earrings" by the end of the day according to my physical therapist. When you get home, put ice on the spot at night (put a 2lb bag of peas in 1-2 layered pillow cases and lay on it or against it).  I learned some exercises with bands that I do (hard to explain here without showing proper posture - consult a professional or you can hurt yourself more!).   Avoid repetitive motion (sweeping/vacuuming, other things you do the same motion over and over) and do not lift weights until you speak with a doctor. This could mean lifting that gallon of milk off refrigerator shelf.  Don't be afraid to ask for help!

Just turning the key in the ignition, washing my hair, or lifting a glass of water can set my pain off.  It is hard to get comfortable at night, the pain wakes me up.  I sometimes take a muscle relaxer or ambien prescribed by my doctor to try to get some sleep when I'm totally warn out, but no more than 1-2X a week.  I have no desire to become addictive to meds!  Oh - I have been on Lyrica - it just made me fat and did nothing for the pain.  You do get some depression after a long time of being in pain - don't be afraid if someone tells you to take a mild and cost-effective anti-depressant (do not believe all the hype of the newest, exensive drugs, some old tried and true ones work just as well and are a good place to start).  Anti-depressants and Anti-convulsive meds did nothing for me either, but it was worth a shot. Oh, 800mgs of Ibuprophren/motrin are favorable for me to just take the edge off my current shoulder/neck pain. Drink plenty of water to keep your tissues lubricated.  

I had similar but different symptoms on left side some years ago, but more of a "harpoon" in my neck that MRI's, Nerve Conduction tests, etc. showed negative results (no results). I had injection therapy with little relief (damn needles hurt worse!).  I was approved for Botox injections for pain, but opted for the previously mentioned pain management.  In the past I was also X-rayed for bone spurs, lung issues...was diagnosed with Thorasic Outlet Syndrome, but current doctor "favors" Fibromyalgia or Myofacial Pain Syndrome which can be bucket diagnosis for "we don't know what it is."  Most recently diagnosed with Angioedema (sort like an allergy, not a heart issue), by my allergist that is an inflammation issue deep in the tissues, normally in the face, eyes, lips, hands, and in my case tongue too.  I take Zyrtec and a benedryl at night before bed, it helps with allergy inflammation, but not entirely.

Yes, folks, I've been through the ringer.  But wait - there's more!

I also have TMJ and I've heard that it can cause pain in the neck and shoulders as well.  Oh, and Migraines (don't get me started on those...except to say that when my Fibromyalgia got under control, my 12 per/mo migraines decreased to 3-4/year!).  

Folks, take it from me, Dr. opinions vary greatly...I'd start with a good general practitioner that you trust and see if they can rule out the scary stuff before sending you to a bunch of expensive specialists for expensive tests.  My physical therapist has suggested injection therapy for this new issue - it may work as it's a different pain than what I had in my neck previously.  It's all a wait and see.  

You should see a doctor, regardless.  Issues with your neck/spine/back should not be ignored.  Disc, nerve, heart, and lung issues should be ruled out. If your General Practitioner doesn't have answers, ask them to send you to a pain specialist.  These specialists are very good at pinpointing issues without a lot of expensive tests or medications and will generally send you to the appropriate specialist for treatment.  I am not a hypochondriac, and it took years to find a doctor that put me in a direction that made sense and helped.  I think medicine has come a long way since I started this mess when I was about 13.

Sorry so long, but hoping something I said will help someone.  Pain is different for everyone - if you've tried simple things like over-the-counter medicine and heat/icy pads and stopped doing the things that make it hurt worse with little to no relief, please see your doctor.  
I think the tennis ball trick is going to help me get some sleep tonight.  
I experienced the "bubble in the back" too and I learned that it is related to LIVER TROUBLE. A clogged liver can cause pain between the shoulder blades and all the symptoms I've read in this topic are classic signs of liver trouble. I don't know why MD's are so reluctant to diagnose this problem - it's either ignorance or aversion to natural remedies. Milk thistle is a liver cleansing herb that can help. Hulda Clark has an entire liver cleansing system you can read about in her books.  Takes buying some herbs and herbal kits, but it's worth it.  The first phase is a parasite killing round of herbs (takes about 3 weeks). Next is kidney cleansing and finally the liver flush itself. Hope this helps!
I just joined...so many of these posts sound like what I am going thru, but I don't want to sound like a hypochondriac. I first had the pain last nite. It affected my sleep, because it didn't matter how i slept, I couldn't get comfortable without wincing in pain...I don't know how I made it thru to the morning. Even now it hurts, bad.  It reduced me to tears this morning. I took Methocarbamol 750mg, 2 pills as directed...it had succeeded in making me very sleepy but the pain hasn't stopped in the least. It is mainly between my left shoulder and neck.  I was in a bad car accident in May 2005 and I remember the doctor saying that I would always have problems.  The pain is sharp, and it makes it incredibly painful to move my head back, down and side to side, I can lift my arm now, but my shoulder hurts when it comes back down...forget breathing...it hurts too much. LOL. I'm sitting up in bed, and even that hurts.  I tool my dog for a walk this morning and with a step I had to stop the pain was so bad.  So tired now.....
I have read/searched forums like these for years because of upper back pain. I have been to Dr's for the past ten years to locate the cause. I have always felt an extream burning pain located right upper back apx 2 inches from the T2. It feels like I am being cut/stabbed with a red hot knife, and pain down the right arm with numbing and tingling in right little finger. I saw a neurologists for the first time two weeks ago. He ordered an MRI and told me all my pain and numbness was from hurniated disks in my neck. I am 30 - he says he does not want to do fusion surgery because I am young... hmm, but wants me to try cervical epidurals. I have my first in the morning. I hope to finaly get some relief. Along the painfull road to find the problem I was told things like arthritis, pulled muscles, poor posture ect were causing my pain and had an Ortho Dr schedule surgery for a torn rotator cuff. This new neurologist in one apt and one MRI found and showed me what is causing it along with cysts in my "tailbone" coupled with a fractured L5 causing leg pain (I never even told him I was hurting there (The pain is way less than upper back)) a tumor on my 7th thoracic and nerve impingement at the T2 and T3. If you would like I will keep you posted on progress. My first injection is in the morning I am praying for relief.
After reading your post I thought it may help you to know my nerve impingement at my T2 T3 is causing pain around my ribs into my chest. I felt the same as you described. Mine is the vertebra twisted to the left. The ribs are connected to the spine. I am told PT will correct the issue but I cannot go until after I see if the injections help my neck or I need surgery to correct it.
You have all given me a great deal of relief!  I have finally found others who have the exact same symptoms after many years thinking I was unique.  My son is a Dr and even he brushes off the pain I have in left scapula, left side of neck and moving down through upper arm.  I also have left pelvic bone pain which the chiro thinks is not associated...??  I do. Across 10 years I have seen osteopath, physiotherapist, acupuncturist, chiropractor, GP (hopeless), muscualr skeletal specialist (ditto), use TENS machine - yes some relief but temporary, heat pads - the best 'comfort but I have burnt my skin a few times, muscular creams - also had skin reactions from over-use! sume ibuprofen, this eases it a little but also constipates me, like others I don't want to depend on meds.  My GP offered me codeine as a muscle relaxer....?  All I really want is a cure.
I had an emergency gall bladder op last year - this was interesting - i had read that gall bladder can give sharp pain in right or left shoulder.  I sooooo hoped this was IT. For about one week post surgery i had no pain at all - and not on heavy pain killers, (I had a good surgeon!)  then little by little it crept back.  But why did it disappear for the first time in 10 years? my theory is that firstly I was distracted by focusing on my gall bladder wound discomfort and care, and secondly, I wasn't doing anything - lying in a recliner all day reading and recovering....? (Little muscle use).
i have bought a book on trigger point therapy and the balls and pressing does work as long as you have exactly the right spot - not always easy - but it is only a temporary easing of pain.  I used to see a remedial masseur once a fortnight but now stopped as it just - hurt!!  No real relief afterwards.  Hot spa bath is very good as are hot jets of water from the shower head I have never found cold helps - I am told this is because it is not joint pain but muscular.  I also do yoga and a little Tai Chi which doesn't seem to affect it one way or the other.
Don't want to depress you people who have only just experienced this, but yes mine started 10 years ago after birth of 3rd baby and carrying the baby basinet around on left arm I believe.  It has progressed over the years where I used to have a few days a week pain free, not now.  Maybe one day a week it's not too bad - it is definitely ever changing.  Like others I am nervous about any kind of surgery but yes I agree, ANYthing to take it away.  Just why aren;'t there any med experts really interested in this??
I feel a sense of relief right now that I have not felt in many years, there is a place a go and just rant about my pain and how these medical professionals or whatever they would like to call themselves really dont care about the patient they care about the paycheck. I have been suffering since 2007 with upper back/cervical pain due to disk herniations which cause flattening of my spinal cord and a whole slue of other problems and a spinal hemangioma. Currently I am in the worst pain I have ever experienced before and I am in pain management, I have repeatedly told my family doctor and orthopedic in previous months about this extremely sharp pain that occurs between my upper shoulders blades when I turn my body a certain way and how I can actually feel something move in my spine, along with the feeling of "bugs" and feelings of water dripping down my back, also occasional numbness in my feet and legs when the area is rubbed. I have also had bowel problems, not to get to personal but I honeslty believe this could be related. At my last visit to the pain management doctor at the middle of May I wasn't as bad as I was now, but I did explain these symtoms to him and he said he is going to refer me to a surgeon at my next visit. I am very overwhelmed at this point because once upon a time when all these problems began due to a car accident my insurance covered epidural injections which I did recieve and they provided relief for my neck pain but now my insurance will not approve them I have appealed them four times and they would rather me be addicted to the pain pills...it doesn't make any sense to me. I have been tossed around from my orthopedic to this pain management that only does injections..then they couldn't help me...then back to my orthopedic..oh we cant do anything else for you right now...then to my family doctor when it got worse...heres some pills go get these tests done...opppsss your insurance wont approve the tests because i'm not a orthopedic...go back to the orthopedic...get new tests done..you need surgery...refer to a surgeon...no the stupid orthopedic didn't write down all your symptoms in the file so the surgeon wont even see you....refer to pain management...HERE I AMMMM....IT *****...plus yes I sound like a crazy loony bin because your damn right I am 25 years old I have a Traumatic Brain Injury from this accident which screwed up my life and now I still have to deal with this ...ohhh its so damn frustrating and I am so happy people are on here that just write about their pain so I am not the only one....lol I might be the only one that talks so much....(I have my reasons right now if you were me you wouldn't want to talk to anyone here either)...but anyway....People..I know how you all feel I have been through so many tests so many years .......it bites.
Hey,you are talking my language and it's so sad more people don't pick up some of the more reliable books full of information on how to not become the next statistic in our world of medicine controlled by big pharma and the government agencies being controlled by the power of greed.I am also feeling pain in my shoulders worse when taking deep breaths but also on movement of my arm,also going up into my neck.It seems to be on both sides alternating not at the same time.I am a  53 yr female old and my job requires me to lift on average of a few hundred ctns each day of approx 40 lbs each.So I wasn't sure how much of my pain was just daily stress to my body but after your advice I will think differently and access my sources for reliable products and do some cleansing.And to those of you who are oblivious to the truth--Go to your local library and get the book by Kevin Trudeau-Natural Cures They Don't Want You To Know About.This is the book that changed my life and made me take charge of my own health.Also google Mike Adams Health Ranger and listen to this man ,he exposes the corruption that you need to know about to make informed decisions about your health. Pick up Knockout by Suzanne Somers,or Breahthrough  also by Suzanne.Take your health advice from those who are shining examples of good health.Is your physician the picture of health? I know mine isn't.I have gone off my anti depressant and blood pressure meds and mobic and flexerill.Pick up a book and change the way you live before Cancer comes knocking at the door,and if it does then you will be confident that you have choices for treatment and aren't driven by fear of the unknown.
It has been two months since I last posted. I have tried manipulation, physical therapy, chiropractors, rest, streatches, meds and herbals. I have completed all three cervial epidurals. Let me tell you what they feel like because I could not find what to expect. First injection - the numbing injection felt equal to a bee sting that went away 20 seconds later then no pain at all. Some people have discomfort after, I didnt. Second - same. Third - Alot of pain for me. I could feel everything and was sore for 3 days after. The injections took away the numbness from my little finger but did nothing for neck, shoulder or arm pain. This works for alot of people just not me. I have lost 50% mobility in my little finger. I can make a fist but when I open my hand my little finger will only open half way, I cannot straighten it. Plus it is very weak. I talked with my Dr and on 30 June think I will schedule my surgery date for C6-C7 fusion. I will again keep you all posted. Any questions or comments are welcome.
i'm a 16 year old female and about 2 or 3 months ago i started having sharp pains in the back of my shoulder. At first, it was just occasionally, then it would subside for a while, but it kept coming back, More and more often as time passed, until now it is nearly constant. i'm clueless as to what could have caused it because i haven't had any injuries in the last year apart from a slight fracture in my wrist. My mom wont talk to a doctor about it and it is becoming extremely difficult for me to do daily activities. even sitting at my computer now, typing this, is sending jolts throuhg my arm and accross my upper back. Also, in the last week, the pain has began to affect my right shoulder as well. its constantly spreading and becoming more and more painful. And nothing i do seems to relieve it at all. the only thing that does is some heating cream, but it only lasts for a few minutes then the pain comes back, with a vengence.
HELP????????
I am 14 1/2. For the past two years I have been to countless doctors, had x-rays, MRI's, CAT scans, Ultra Sounds, medication meant for adults, shots, and every other thing you could think of. I have scoliosis and I thought at first that was what was causing my pain. My doctors tell me that this is not possible. My lest scapula has been hurting very badly for a long time. Not only does the bone hurt but the muscle. It starts as soon as I wake up and doesn't go away.I am conscious of my posture and do not believe it to be the cause. The pain worsens if I am carrying anything at arms lengths, even if i am carrying a light bag over either of my shoulders, or if I lean over or breath in hard. I have tried hot and cold pads, pain medication, and a lot of other stuff, but i haven't seen any relief for the past two years. I want the pain to stop and if anyone has any idea how I can do this I would appreciate it. If it says how above then oops because I only read the first 4. I am only 14 1/2 any suggestions on what to do.
                                                          ~Starr Cere~
Oh my god! So many people like me! This is beginning to really cause me problems now, and before I have just put it down to the way i slept a particular night.

I have horrible pain in my left shoulder blade that is affecting my neck, back, shoulder and left arm. This is really beginning to grind me down as I am in constant pain.

I am seeing my GP about this tomorrow, he'll probably refer me to a chiropractor or osteopathic/orthopaedic surgeon, or maybe just prescribe painkillers! Lets see...
Hey, I am having the same exact sypmtoms and I can't do anything this has persisted for the past 4 months every day. Did you find a solution? Please tell me if you did!!!
Same problem here I've always had lower back problems! So one day while in the bathroom brushing my hair a sharp pain pierced my lower back dropped me to my knees. The next day my left shoulder started hurting sometimes effecting my neck! I've tried advil,icy hot, etc please help!!
I have a pain in my upper left back. I some how got it from laying in the floor of the bathroom after feeling sick. It hurts when i lift my arm in any direction but behind me and when i take eep breathes. I'm only 13
auw
im only 15 and i feel the same thing on my shoulder actually i have it right now thats why i looked it up and it keeps me from doing alot of walking because i cant really take the pain and i think its because i do alot of heavy lifting
i have had these problems for about 1 year now i am only 19 years old i am a little out of shape but nothing extreme i have the constant pain in the upper left side of my back and my neck when i tilt my head down the pain increases and decreases when i lift my head up i have been to the doctors and was told to take advil that hasn't worked at all. What should i do?
have same symptoms which are due to a pinched cervical nerve.I'm 61 yrs old and when the dr. twisted my head around and down it will cause the electrical sharp pain down my arm. An mri confirmed this, awaiting cort shots for this part of my spine, Have other osteo arthritis problems in spine. This is very painful and annoying. Get to a DR. Sometimes fibromyalgia can cause shoulder and neck pain due to tender pts. Good luck.
It has been another 3 months since my last post. I under went PT for months with no relief and the only other treatment was meds. My Dr performed a discography last month. Since then my pain has increased. I also have new symptoms: head aches, pain at base of skull, replicated pain in left side (same as original on right) right side pain increased, pain into forearm and into thumb and when I lift my right arm for 60 seconds or longer my entire arm goes numb. I am beginning to question what is wrong and the testing that is being done. So many sleepless nights and pain meds cant take away.....
i woke up last week with this feeling like i was run over by a bus.  then i noticed a strange pain on the left side of my back just below my shoulder.  I thought i was getting the flu or something.  i ignored it, took some motrin and figured it would just go away. over the next few days the pain got worse and i had the feeling like i could not breath.  if i coughed, i experienced even more pain.  It got to where i could not get comfortable in any position.  Well now a little over a week later, i went to the hospital because the pain in my upper left side of my back was so bad, I could not get comfortable at all.  it wrapped around to the front of my chest just under my breast.  any way, had blood work done at the hospital, chest x-ray and cat scan all of which came back fine.  did urine and found i had a kidney infection.  ok so they put my on antibiotics and pain meds.  guess what the pain is worse than ever, its like a knife stabbing me in that area.  depending on how i move the pain gets worse and slowly lessons for a short short while.  but when i move again, it starts all over.  lieing down seems to actually make it worse, unless i just stay in the same position and not move.  flat on my back in bad causes alot more pain.  staying on my side is ok, but the pain sort of just shoots out of no where even when i am still.  i do have some lower back pain (spine).  i am taking some pain meds, but as soon as they wear off, the pain is right back.  any suggestions on what i should do from here.  other than going back to my GP, what other avenues do i have to find out what is really causing this pain.  I have never experiences this type of pain in 51 years.  it is much worse while in a reclined position (bed).  
I am releaved to see that their are others who have experienced some of the same symtoms as myself and I can relate to the pain you are all having.  not having an answer to what the problem is, is very fustrating to say the least.
any suggestions, comments it would be greatly appreciated.
having this really bad and terrible pain at the lower part of my left shoulder blade, it began about 2mths ago and didn't take it seriously, but now it seems my life depends on it now. any time i take in a deep breath, or yawn, as well as turn a little to the right side, it hurts  just so bad. i sometimes wish i could just hit with something hard, or hit my back hard against the wall. it's like your brakes just got out of control and don't knw which way to go. some assistance will highly grateful.
It sounds like you pulled a ribhead out of place. I worked for a chiropractor for 4 years and have seen this type of injury several times. The lower ribs are not attached to any other bones they are "floating ribs". They are attached by ligaments and cartilage. Usually when this happens the rib presses on your lung which causes problems breathing deeply and causes bruising, pain, and tenderness. This can occur from lifting, bending, twisting, improper bending, or trauma. To relief the pain you can use ice and heat to reduce swelling and chiropractic adjustments to relief the pain. In addition chiropractic modalities, such as electric muscles stimulation and ultrasound can relieve your pain and help heal the pulled ligaments and cartilage.
hi there , i have experienced same pain as most of you the left shoulder and arm for six weeks and was told by my doc that it was caused through shingles. you dont have to have the rash with shingles. i dont think i have ever been in so much pain and am sick of taking painkillers.Have started drinking 2 litres of water per day and half a litre of pineapple juice to clean out my system.Nothing else has worked and anything is worth a go. Will keep you updated
Hi guys,

I've had this pain also esp in the last few months, and it's been ever consuming - the more I get frustrated with it, the more it bores into me, so it's very much emotionally tied.

For me, I've been exploring what makes it better what makes it work, in an emotional sense. The more frustrated I get, the worse it gets, the happier & lighter I feel, the better it becomes.

This may sound a bit too holistic for some of you, but I sincerely believe this is a trust issue with ourselves. A stabbing pain in the back for me indicates that on some level I'm stabbing myself in my back - it resonates with a particular period of childhood when I learnt NOT to trust myself, and now, subconsciously, every time I try to run away from myself and am told what to do, not what I want to do, I get more frustrated, because I'm not listening to what the inner me is begging for.

It's an issue about not being able to trust myself, becoming scared, becoming more frustrated with me for not being able 'to do' whatever it is & just 'man the f up', so it's about me reversing the lesson that I was taught as a child, that I'm still carrying now, understanding where it came from & letting it go - realising that I now CAN trust myself & I always could -  I don't need to stab myself in the back, it doesn't matter what others said or say, it's okay - I was hurt, I was told what to do, my trust was abused by others even if they didn't mean it it still hurt, but that now doesn't mean I still have to carry the pain, because I can trust myself, I just need to change my body's belief that I can't, which has been so deeply ingrained.

So EFT! (Emotional freedom techniques - tapping)

There's dozens of youtube videos on the web - really really really suggest you give them a go. If you don't feel that they work for you on here then go and see an EFT practitioner who will be able to pinpoint the pain and the blocks that you have.

Seriously - all pains can vanish with EFT - just please give it a go - you have nothing to lose.

Again, may sound all fluffy psychobabble, but does it not make sense that your body & pain is an indicator of when you are not at ease with yourself?

Best advice I can give is to not punish yourself, or get frustrated yourself, but listen to the pain and what you find it is associated with and start going back to forgive yourself in that situation, and regaining trust in yourself.

Everyone has been conditioned in some way shape or form not to trust themselves and their own judgement, it's unfortunately a natural part of growing up, but EFT helps you release all that you no longer need, including knawing shoulder-blade pain, even if you only see it right now as that, and nothing more.

x
Tromps are you serious?  That is the most bunch of bull I have ever heard. Stab myself in the back. Ha!

I do have a problem and it is annoying but no one is stabbing me in the back..LOL  Mine is a little different.  If feels like I have one of my bones out in my back and that I can just crack it back in. But I have this problem on the left side under my shoulder too. Yes mine hurts, way down deep, especially when moved and strained. Sitting too long in one place. But it is itching and burning and the skin goes semi numb. If you press down hard on the skin it starts to burn. Poke the skin with your finger nail and it feels like you are stabbing me.

My GP didn't have an answer, he just gave me a shot. It didn't work.

I have a few other things happening that have me worried. At times I feel nausea in the mornings and have gotten sick, I have been having trouble with my stomach off and on.  I have lost my appetite for the most part and have lost 70 lbs in the last 6 mos. I do smoke, yes that is bad.  All these point to cancer, and a point of no return. I am going to have to go back to GP and make him start looking for the bad stuff first.  
If you are one of the 12% of Americans who stills smokes (or is addicted to tobacco in any other form, such as spit tobacco), get to drug rehab NOW and break your addiction to the tobacco drug.

Also, make sure you never smoke anywhere near anyone else or animals (either indoors or out).

Ban the tobacco drug, NOW!
I, too, suffer from pain that comes and goes in my cervical neck, scapula, shoulder blades, spine, and upper back.

I want to tell anyone that has this that it is VERY VERY important to your head and neck straight- never turn your head in any direction too far, as that will set off the pain, worsen the pain, or initiate a pain attack. You have to make sure not to look up- meaning do not turn your head up, and do not turn your head too far down, do not turn your head too far to the right or left. If you need to look up, just look up with your eyes, keeping your head and neck straight. Hyperextension of your neck will lead to terrible cervical spine attacks.

If you need to look to your left or right, you should NEVER turn your head, but rather, you should turn your whole body. This will prevent you from straining your neck and causing shoulder blade pain and neck and back pain. Sleep on a good pillow that keeps your head straight in line with your body. If you sleep on your side, keep your head in line with your body or you will feel PAIN the next day.

Also, if you take Tramadol, your pain will return the minute you stop taking it.
Hi All,

I found this forum because I had the same symptoms as most of you and was seeking relief. After 3 days of pain I remembered three things. I had the book "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook", a Theracane, and had experienced relief employing both against some gnarled muscles. After reading the post by PPNH I took his advice and used the Theracan to message a couple spots under my scapula as well as a terribly tender spot I found using the Worbook in my neck/shoulder. Today I feel 90% better. Tomorrow another round of the Theracane vs. Trigger Points. Tonight I'll live with the sore tenderness that is my left scapula and neck and the residual shoulder and chest pain.

Seriously, I'm not sure trigger point therapy is going to fix every users post in this forum but I had exactly the same symptoms as dozens of the posters here and I now feel so much better. Granted, I self tortured my muscles for an hour last night but after three days of the worst muscle pain I've ever had a little self inflicted pain was worth it.

Cheers

JDO

Hi guys I have simillar problem....The above symptom of feeling like a bubble is going to burst is exactly how I feel but I have had no pains in the arm...My pain shoots from lower back/chest & when go to bed it travels to the left upper back,under the shoulder.....Very worried about it & its holding me back from doing my job in building trade as a joiner....Iam 28........does this sound like anything you know of
some doctors believe pin and pain on back is hiv is it correct
To All:
My last post was three months ago. I changed doctors for a second opinion. On my first visit he asked the usual questions as to where the pain is and what makes it worse or better. He then immediately ordered a ((MYELOGRAM)) I had complications with the procedure. The Myelogram caused my CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) to leak out. This caused pain and the absolute worst headache possible. I went and had a blood patch that gave me instant relief. The MRI and the Discography showed a right side herniation that did not appear to be a major impingement of the spinal cord. The Myelogram showed the disc media had came out and worked its way to the side pressing on the nerve root itself not the spinal cord. The Dr did not see this the first time he looked at the films. After he told me he didn’t see where the impingement was, in my frustration I lashed out at him in a verbal attack prompting him to take a second look. Only then did he find it.

On December 10th 2010 I underwent ACD&F with peek cages and plating. (Cervical fusion with a plastic composite doughnut looking piece a little bigger than a nickel) I can tell you I woke up in major pain from the surgery but was in disbelief all of my neck/shoulder/arm pain and all numbness was completely gone. 100% gone for the first time in nearly 10 years. It has only been 4 days but still none of the old pain and I am weaning off the pain meds already because they are no longer needed.
I cannot tell you if this surgery will help you but what I can tell you is it worked for me! Do not get discouraged if the doctors are having a hard time defining what your pain is caused from. It took years for me to find out and that was a fluke.

From the risks of this surgery and the pain from having it done I say to you if given the option think hard about it. Once you have it done you will have another within 10 years. I know for me, my condition limited my life in every way. I could not even play with my children much less care for them because I could not pick them up. I for one am so happy I had this done!!! Good luck all. If you would like me to continue to update you in the future please respond. Thank you.
To all, I had a bout of EXACTLY the kind of pain most everyone on here is talking about.  It started out mild, with pain when I took a deep breath and hurt like mad when i sneezed.  then one day it hit me like a ton of bricks, the pain was so bad it took my breath away - all the way from just below my head to my left shoulder blade with some numbness in my left arm.  So I googled the type of pain i was having and found this site.  Long story short, i tried the tennis ball thing - hurt like heck, but worked almost immediately.  Also, I have a walking cane that I use when around the house to keep that area around my shoulder blade loosened up. I still have soarness/stiffness in my neck a bit.  I think the comments about posture are spot-on - I've got 'soldier neck' and have to really concentrate to keep my head in the proper position.  Anyway, this is what worked for me - stay loose.
Hello everyone, I was playing my Wii (wii sports) for a few days about a week ago and noticed very terrible pain in my neck, the next day it was in my throat and in my shoulders, I went to the ER and got admitted because I have a low immune system due to a liver transplant..  Here is what they did to me
1. xray's of neck,back,chest
2. Spinal tap (where they take fluid out of your back
3. MRI of my neck, back
all they found was that I was having muscle spasms, I am in so much pain especailly when I am laying down (flat or elevated) and when I wake up in the morning because I had been laying down all night.  During the day the pain gets gradually better and I walk around with those ICYHOT heat packs, when I am in bed I wear this messagger thing that heats up and vibrates and feels good on my shoulders.  I am wanting to think the doctor is wrong about his findings because this will be going on 12 days of severe pain.. I am also taking percocet/ativan/lortab as needed for the pain because I am not allowed to take Ibuprofin.  Anyway I see my pcp monday and hope to find out more answeres. Please go to the er if your in a lot of pain because the least they can do is give you something to help with pain.
Hello all, I guess we are all crazy :).  I have had back pain for years, finally saw docs, starting with a nureo, then a nureo surgeon who performed a c567 fusion in July 06.  AS I was recovering, in Jan of 07 I blew out my L5S1.

So here I am, x years later and the pain that I had pre op is back.  I have pain in my right baseline of my nect, into my R scapula,and shoulder, and down into my pinky and ring finger.  While this pain is not always present it is there enough to greatly reduce my quality of life as the pain ranges from a 3 to 7.

Most recently (NO10), I had a R knee ACL reconst and meniscus repair.  While recovering I had a slip and fall in Ja.  I tweaked my R CL and have created intense, on and off pain on the L side of my neck.  I have been referred to a physctrist through my workers comp claim and also have scheduled an appointment with my Orthopedic (switched surgeons since my last neck surg) surgeon.

What I dont understand is how the pain comes and goes, but when it comes, it comes like a tornado, reeking havoc.  I have a trigger point about 4 inches down the inside of my R shoulder blade (Scapula area) that HURTS to any pressure, now that sounds like it could be muscle?  Lastly, I had many MRI's, none very recent (hope to change that) and one on my R shoulder had shown a partial tear of my Supra and Infer tendons, but no rotary cuff complete tear.  Is this in the area I mentioned?

It really ***** living in pain, but what ***** worse is having people believe you and not look at you like your crazy!  These reactions have made me consider if MAYBE I am crazy, and all this pain is made up in my head, or that it is stress related!!!!
I am in so much pain at the moment, my husband and I are both stressed, as we have a new baby who keeps us on our toes,,,I wouldn,t change that for the world, but I need some relief from agonizing sciatic pain and a new pain just under my left shoulder which is more intense upon breathing, I also have shooting pains down my left arm,,I think my husband thinks I am exaggerating the pain,,that's why it is great to see that I am not alone here and there are so many other people out there who understand what it's like..I want to be able to look after my little family , so please please help me..
I am fifteen years old and saw my doctor today. I woke up this morning with a shooting almost stabbing pain on the left side of my body. From just below my left breast all the way around to my spine. It kills me to sneeze or cough. Sometimes it gets so bad of pain i can't even let something brush up against it without screaming. My doctor diagnosed me with the shingles. Although he said i'm young to get it, its not impossible. It usually occurs in people over the age of 25. Although i do not have a rash on my back, it is still shingles. Maybe talk to your doctor about this? I thought i'd be the last person to get this. :/
I gave a similar problem with back pain, but the Dutch health care system disallows patients going directly to the specialists. We have to be referred by our GPs, who seldom do refer us. They certainly won't just because we ask ;) However I shall keep your adviae in mind as I shall travel to Belgium UK or Germany for treatment instead.
Im 15 an been sneeZing cuz i was sick and i hold in my sneezes an now theres a pain in my upper left back area like a ball of air or something help please
I found a few ways to deal with the pain temporarily.  First I will explain my systems for you to compare and see if it is similar to yours.  

I woke up one morning and pulled a muscle in my neck.  I could not turn my head and look to my right as it would hurt severely and shoot a pain down my left arm.  I have had pulled muscles a lot before and this was not ordinary pain.  The stiff neck went away after a few days but now lingers there underneath reminding me of its wrath.  The pain now is primarily behind my left shoulder blade going up to the left side of my neck and then shooting down almost all the way to the back of my left hand.  Its definitely a nerve.  Most of the pain that i feel is causing all the problems are behind my shoulder blade, in towards my spine about half and inch and up half an inch.  Its not lower than my shoulder blade.  

The main give away that something is wrong is that my left shoulder is about 2 freakin inches higher than my right.  I always had them equal.  I have seen a chiropractor and she said its all in my neck.  I then saw a masseuse and he said its all in my muscles which have tensed up to protect my inner parts and are now not letting down.  I am pushing more towards my muscles being tensed up than it being my posture because i notice relief anytime i can get my muscles relaxed with certain techniques.  It is depressing me now very much that i am reading more and more on this and there seems to be no answers other than surgery which i can not afford in this forsaken economy.  

After reading almost all posts i found one thing to work alright is to try and drop my shoulders down as one person mentioned and it does relieve some of the major pain when it spurts up.  It seams to me the tightened muscles are jacking my shoulder up and bending my lower neck onto a nerve, so i guess the chiropractor was right too.  

Another technique is when i get home from work and the pain is killing, i lay on my good side, then take my left arm and put it behind my back, then i take a strong vibrating massager and go at the shoulder blade and shoulder for about 5 to 10 minutes and it takes the pain down from a 8 down to 2 or 3.  Much better than 8 to 9 pain.  

Lastly at night i put a bunch of ice into a ziplock bag and lay on it until it numbs the muscles out with cold.  I dont know if its the best thing to do but it helps me get to sleep before the pain kicks back up again.  This came from me hurting so bad one night i was desperate for anything and decided to give my muscles frost byte since it hurt so much anyway.  Once the cold hits the muscles and your skin gets  numb it definitely takes the pain from whatever down to a about a 1.  

I am not a doctor.  I am 29 and do physical work and can not afford to stop working.  It seems i am going to be stuck this way for some time and there is nothing else to do but deal with it.  I hope something helps you guys and I hope someone finds a true cure.  

Tonight i will try the tennis ball thing.  Dropping the shoulders right now as i sit on the computer is at least making my laptop time bearable.  Thanks.   And please dont do drugs and prescriptions, I dont care what kind your doctor tells you to take, you will regret it, mark my words.
For whatever reason I happen to have a reoccurring stabbing feeling that occurs whenever I breathe in deeply, I can't even seem to sneeze sometimes because when I breathe in deeply before the sneeze I get a stabbing feeling that feels like it is originating from behind my shoulder blade, and it'll go away for a week come back for two weeks and then go away again, if anyone had any suggestions it would be of greatly appreciated, I plan on going to my GP and seeing what his opinion of all this is.
I am having severe pain in my left shoulder blade and going into my left side of my neck and goes down my left arm. One morning i couldnt even get out of bed, had to roll out of bed once i was able to sit up it felt like i couldnt move my  neck or my arm. pain was so bad it took my breath away. My pain comes and goes its not a constant pain
I can definitely relate to most of your stories. I'm 31 years old and was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 14. I've experienced back pain on and off throughout my life. I've pulled muscles and have had lower and upper pains, but just recently I experienced pain under my left shoulder blade. I've had this pain before but normally it is short term. I've been in pain for a whole month and I thought maybe it was my mattress that I sleep on or the positions that I sleep in every night. Three days ago, the pain escalated up to my neck and it my neck stiffens a lot. I can't turn my head in either direction without feeling that stabbing pain that you all mentioned. And when I breathe in I can feel the pain. I am sitting in my doctors office at this very moment because I haven't had any relief within the past month and even worse pain within the past 3 days. I can't sleep at night because whichever way I move I am in excruciating pain. You all wish me luck and pray that this pain will subside soon. I'll repost and update for you all soon.
I have the same problem before.  I cannot even get up from my bed and cannot even turn my head.  The neck pain is very severe.  After couple weeks, it is gone but now I constantly feel the numbness on my left shoulder blade.  My doctor ask me to take the MRI.  This is not good.
I am in the same boat as all of you. problem is, mine has been going on for over a year now.

The docotors have finally completed two MIR's and one CT scan. They are now argueing whether it is being caused by the #4 & #5 vertebrate in my neck (which can cause sharpe stabbing pain in left side of the neck, and left sholder radiating down to the left hand - which is true in my case). or, if its arthristis in my left shoulder joint which can cause the stabbing pain as well.

I just received cortizone shots in my left shoulder (feels like I got hit by a sledge hammer) yesterday. The Docs say I should be able to tell a difference in a couple of days. I will either have (in their words) complete relief, 50% relief or no change. If no change, then they say that it is more than likely my neck (whihc has bone spurs growing on #4 & #5 - due to degeneration - that are pressing on my spinal cord).

all I know is i have lived with this pain long enough. I take morphine and percocet on a daily basis, and have to take sleeping pills (that knock me fro a loop) every night. I have been sleeping sitting up in a chair for the past six months due to the fact that lying down increases the pain!!! I also have to wear a soft neck brace so that I don't crimp my neck and cause myself more pain.

I can't wait till they figure out how to stop this pain!!  
I am an acupuncture students, based on my experience, this kind of situation is very likely caused by the neck and shoulder comprehensive card. May be due to the long-term life and study with the bow posture incorrectly, or for a long time, overworked or received in cold stimulation produce symptoms, so I suggest you patients can selectively do the following treatment: acupuncture and moxibustion, massage, hot compress. Usually pay more attention to protection, such as: don't hang your head in time is too long, keep warm, low pillow rest. I think will receive some effect. May bring you useful help
I have been dealing with lower left shoulder pain for months which then moved to my shoulder, neck and left arm. Hot yoga seemed to have helped until we had a new yoga instructor who did some upper body strengthening poses then my pain became worse and has since moved to my left chest and having sharp pain in left chest area when I breath now. I have tried Motrin and a heating pad but doesn't seem to help... I am not certain if I should continue the upper body/arm movements and build up strength or stop those poses altogether. I am tired of this. Its been 5 days of constant pain and the only relief I get is when I am asleep. At leat before I did the upper body stuff my shoulder was just sore and hurt on and off or if I drank anything that had caffeine in it. Anybody else have this happen? I wonder why caffeine wold make my pain worse or cause an onset. Any ideas out there on any of my issues? Now my pain is constant and I am staying away from caffeine because I am worried the pain will get even worse... Help!!!!
ive read a ton of ur write ups and i thought i was the only one in the world with this, no one understands that under the shoulderblade pain, that also feels like its under or behind ur heart hurts sooooo bad to breath, it started at 14 im now 29, now over the years the arm numbness, hand tingling etc, feeling like some one is pushing their finger into my elbow funny bone spot creating that numbness, OMG ive been bed ridden for 4 days once crying the whole time, cause u cant breath it feels like a knife is stabbing ur chest and under the shoulder blade bone at the same time im told over year pinched nevers and masages can help...im so done and demanding surgery after i know its from neck trouble after 3 car accidents
I have had pain under my left shoulder blade/upper back off and on for months. I recently found out it was due to severe constipation. The intestines get stool built up along with gas and the pressure irritates the nerves. I'm taking laxatives and GasX and am now symptom free
I realize this is coming in a little, but it sounds like you've had PE (pulmonary embolism) which can be deadly.

I had a PE a year ago and today I am having the same symptoms, although not quite as intense this time around.

If this happens again, make sure they give you a CT scan.  They will not be able to detect PE with a regular x-ray.
For most it sounds like spinal stenosis (www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis/what-spinal-stenosis) which is compression on the spinal cord.  This can be a result of bulging discs or herniated discs in the C5/C6 area or the C6/C7.  Pain located in the left shoulder potentially running down to the elbow, pain center left of back when sneezing, general pain relief when your left arm is above your head (getting there might hurt a little) is almost always specifically in the C6/C7 area.  Discs do not have nerve endings so use "referred" pain to signal a problem.  Why the C6/C7 area, because it is impinging on the nerve center which transmits pain to the left arm.  Also you can experience numbing in the fingers of your left hand.

An x-ray of the neck can potentially show disc issues; however an MRI is needed to confirm.  When checking prices on MRIs, the lower the price, the lower the tech, the less clear the image (www.dmos.com/mrifaq.asp). Mine was done on a machine that was .2 telsa which was pretty poor.  It was not surgery quality.  If I have surgery I'll need another MRI.  FYI,  you can guess, but it was extremely painful laying on the MRI board.  If possible make sure you take some sort of pain killer and muscle relaxant before going in.  If the doctor has not proscribed anything yet a mixture of Tylenol (Acetaminophen for pain) and Advil (ibuprofen for Anti-inflammatory) have been shown to provide some relief.  Also, try to get ahead of the pain by taking the meds first thing in the morning and at regularly scheduled intervals.

Finally, as read and guessed, this can show up out of nowhere.  I woke up on a Friday, by 1400 I realized I could not go the entire weekend with the pain and would not want to pay the E.R. bill.  I went to the doctor and received the initial diagnosis.  I was first given a non-narcotic pain reliever, anti-inflammatory, and muscle relaxer, steroids for the next week and a steroid shot in the office.  They did almost nothing.  On the following Monday I was proscribed Soma, and Viciodin.  It smoothed out the peaks, but still little to no pain relief.  The chiropractor provided some relief; however their rule was without significant relief after three sessions it was probably time to see a Neuro or Orthapedic surgeon.  After the initial options there is an epidural shot and finally surgery; however, surgery is rarely needed.  My understanding is, if you are lucky, you will be pain free within 6 weeks; however, it can take up to 12 weeks if you do not go the epidural/surgery route.

Good luck all and I hope this answered some questions.
thanks for the opinion guys...

I think mine is just severe constipation...
having a problem at the lungs is very unlike me..
I don't smoke or drink alcohol
..i'm 19 now.. and this pain of my back began when I am 16... so if ever you have any cure , medication , advise to give. pls. let me know... ***@****
I'm a 19 year old female and I have been working lifting heavy boxes and with machinery for 4 months now. Today, whilst at work, out of the blue came the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced. It felt as though my shoulder blade had been knocked out of line, except the pain felt much deeper, as though it was right inside me. The pain was so severe it took my breath away, and I felt my body go from hot to cold and back again. I normally have a very tolerant pain barrier, so was very surprised at how the pain affected me. Since getting home from work, I have been laid flat on my back with no pillows to try to ease the pain. I have very slight twinges when sat still, but as soon as I move my left arm or twist my back slightly the deep pain returns, and it is worse than even if I take a deep breath. I have had the pain for a matter of hours, let alone months / years like some of the posts, and I am already at my wits end! If anyone has any advice on what may have caused the pain or any pain relievers for me, I will be more than grateful! As it goes at the moment, I can barely sit up in bed let alone move around. I am dreading work tomorrow! :(
I'm 29 years old and have been experience the following symptoms since my early 20's, aching pain under left shoulder blade, neck stiffness, pinching under the shoulder blade when breathing, sneezing very painful or at times my body will not enable the action of sneezing when the area is very inflamed, tension headaches, fatigue. I have tried many treatment options, remedial massage, physio, a long list of pain relief and anti-inflammatory drugs. Today I had a consultation with an orthopaedic surgeon to look at my shoulder as referred by my GP . The ortho has confirmed that it is not shoulder related and more likely is to triggered by thoracic spine issues. He said that he sees people with these symptoms all the time and they usually develop in your early 20's and that an ortho is not the right person to see. He suggested to find a treatment that works best for you and befriend that person. For me that is my remedial massage therapist. I found physio was to airy fairy, tens machine, ultrasound and the massage was gentle compared to remedial massage and didn't feel like it was as effective as remedial massage. I'd suggest to anyone experiencing the same symptoms as me to find a remedial massage therapist that specialises in sports medicine and make sure you really push yourself with your pain threshold as I've found the harder the massage the better the relief, however, during the massage and immediately after you will feel as if you have been hit by a truck. It is not until 2 - 3 days after that you will start to experience some tension relief and relief from the associated symptoms. After your initial consultation I would suggest making a regular weekly appointment to get on top of the issue and then move to fortnightly, monthly etc as your symptoms reduce. Finally you will need to strengthen the muscles. This would be the time to consider seeing a physio for light treatment and to help you come up with a exercise plan. I hope this helps. As a long time sufferer I understand the frustration that you face.
I have been having extreme pain in my hands, wrists, arms, elbows shoulders, neck and upper back since February of last year. It started in my wrists and then moved to my fingers, and gradually into my neck and shoulders. Several months before I had moved some heavy logs up a hill by toting them on my shoulder(s). There was a little pain but i didn't think much of it. Then the next February while we were shoveling snow from sidewalks the pain started in my hands. I have been in pain off and on since then, having serious pain for at least three weeks to three months at a time and then a short time with little to none. The pain has brought me to tears and a friend suggested a pinched nerve. I also have poor circulation and I wonder if it is not a combination of those two things? and if so what do I do? Very little seems to help, although heat being applied sometimes helps but massage therapy helps the best. It feels like my hand/arnm ect is in a vice...something contracting around the muscles, and other times like the muscles are swelling. And sometimes it feels like the muscles are clamping down on the bones/joints. I am finding it difficult to want to move. Carrying heavy items or doing repetitive motions cause extreme pain. Please help?
I'm a 26yr old female in dc. i just recently started having this pain. i am a single mom and i thought that it had to do with stress. i have 4 sons- 7,6,5, and 3 yrs young. I'm so scared that this might be serious. at first i was just going to soak  in some epsonsalt and pray that it disappears.n But now.... IDK. I Hate going to the ER with my children but I guess i gotta go. I'm asking friends for painkillers andeverything. its gettingserious! Its pain  in my upper left shoulder blade and my leftside of myneck. HELP!!!!
I followed PPNH advise to use a tennis ball on the floor to massage the shoulder blade muscles. BAMM!!, the excruciating pain is gone after only a few minutes of massage. I have been in pain for like 4 days in a row, I tried hot and cold water therapy, icy hot patches nothing worked. While massaging with the tennis ball, I felt like a knot; I rolled the ball on that knot until it was gone and with it the pain was also gone. Thank you so much PPNH!
i myself have had the pain in my neck and underneath left shoulder blade also my body gets hot but my temperature is normal loss of sensation in all of my body mostly in neck back face and left arm i also feel like im in third person sometimes  sometimes i will get a day or 2 out of the month of relief but still feel the lingering of the injury as if its teasing me but just comes back to say ha ha u thought you were getting better but u never will its been going on 4 three years and every day it beats you down and i constantly feel weak and tired and get not much sleep from it ive been told its a pinched nerve muscle spasm bad posture well what the h e l l i want answers my doc thinks im addicted to pills well i think im just addicted to no pain so i will try the golf ball trick and i never knew so many people had the same thing im  only 23 and the people i live with think i made it up for the longest time or it was just in my head and it makes me feel like an old man no offense and im constantly made fun of everybody is always saying ooooo my baaaack when i say my back is killing me so f them i hope i find relief one day or a doctor whose head isnt up his assssssss good luck everyone i feel for u guys and its nice to know that im not alone not that id ever wish this burden on anyone but it helps me to know theres others out there still living life even if it plain out s u ccks
Look up shoulder subluxation
For about 3 years I been experiencing a sharp dull aching kind of pain in my upper bac/ lower neck area. Its like at the top of my vertebrate. On the bone or something. It comes and goes but i noticed satnding up make sit worse. Its a 10/ 10 when it happens. Im not sure what it is thought it was stress. ANYONE KNOW WHAT I CAN DO. Is a cat scan to much. A massage maybe?
It sounds like a lot of you are experiencing a cervical disc problem. When there is a cervical disc herniation, a lot of times you will experience pain in the shoulder blade and or numbness.tingling into the arms. I suggest you see your chiropractor for a full evaluation and x-rays. X rays do not show nerve involvement, however they will show structural changes. X-rays can determine that there is degenerative disc disease, and a referral for an MRI should be given to conclude the diagnosis. You may all want to start doing some traction exercises to increase the curvature of your cervical spine Taking a towel and rolling it up and placing it under your neck for 15 mins a day should help in the long run.
I am with you.  I have a lot of the same symptoms that most of you have.  I have been to many many Dr's in the last 5 years and nothing.  I think I am going to tell my Dr that I want to see a Neurologist and get an MRI.  I am sooooo sick of this.  It is really affecting my life and my husbands.  It's debilitating.
I have been in pain for 11 years, I am now 26 years old.  To those who have found relief with tennis balls...well aren't you lucky you merely aggrevated a muscle.  Unfortunately for some of us it is not just muscular and the pain continues for years, not just days or even just months.  

I have pain around my right shoulder blade and mid-back, constantly nagging at me and sharp when I breathe in.  In the last year it has gotten much worse.  I have seen specialists and physical therapists, a chiropractor (DO NOT SEE A CHIROPRACTOR IT WILL MAKE YOU WORSE), massage therapists, ostepathic doc...I've only been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the thoracic spine at T-5 and T-6, probably from an old trauma injury.  However this is not a complete explanation of all my symptoms.  I have had some tell me that my ribcage is misaligned.  The chiro screwed me up worse, I never fully recovered from the crippling that my chiro caused me; I could barely walk for many months.  Two MRIs and a bone scan have turned up nothing else.  My discs are fine.  I have constant pain around my shoulder blade that makes me want out of my own body.  It never goes away.  Sleep has been my only refuge and has become almost an addiction and problematic to my work and social life.  

I had 3 cortisone injections, 2 around T-5 and 6 that didn't really do much, and one in my chest which helped the radiating pain there.  

(A hint for those considering injections: don't hesitate, the worst thing that will happen is that it doesn't work.  Also, the worse pain you are in after the injection the better you will feel after a few days.  The one I had in my chest put me barely able to get out of bed to the bathroom for 24 hours, but then I got much better and my doctor told me that the worse it is the better it'll work.)  

I have found some relief with amitriptyline, an SNRI anti-depressant (brand name Elavil).  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND trying this drug.  It is a very low dose used to treat nerve pain, it is not an addictive and destructive narcotic pain medicine.  Ask your pain management doctors.  I was told it could take up to two weeks to take effect but it worked for me over night like magic.  My dosage was upped after a few weeks and now it is still taking the edge off.  

My pain still persists, I can't remember what it is like to take a deep breath.  These drugs I'm taking are not a fix there are only making the pain more manageable, and I worry about the day I have children.  Will I be able to hold them?  Does it really matter, because who wants someone who is broken down anyway?  I feel like half the person I used to be, there are so many things I will never be able to do again.  I have received no answers.  There just isn't enough research in conditions of the thoracic spine.  My prayers are with you all, I know how frustrating it is.  I have been through the ringer with this pain.  It is a sad truth to be 26, walking by an 80 year old person thinking they are in better shape than I am.  When my doctor told me I was simply considered a chronic pain patient (code for "we don't know what the hell is wrong with you") I decided to leave behind the doctor parade and learn to live with the pain.  Essentially I have moved into the acceptance stage of the grieving process.  It is difficult and sometimes I slide back to anger or bargaining.  But if you have received no answers like me, my only advice is try the amitriptyline, try the trigger point injections, start a yoga class, learn how to relax if, like most, your pain has escalated a serious anxiety cycle.  You're all probably thinking that if I can live with it I must not be in as much pain as you...I promise you I am.  I live my life at pain level 6-8 every single day and have for the last 11 years, and I have had my months of fighting tooth and nail every single day not to jump out the window.  I have certainly cried at least a river in the past 11 years.  The mind is an amazing tool though, use it.  Don't let your pain define you as difficult as that sounds it is possible.  Focus on life's other little blessings.
I woke up this morning with that pain that you are all talking about and it hurts so bad. I don't know if I should go to the doctor or if I should see if it still hurts tomorrow. It doesn't only hurt to breath in but to move at all. It feels like a knive is stabbing my shoulder and when I walk it's even worse.
Everyone is discribing a bulging disc and nerve damage. My pain worstens when I sneeze, bend down face forward, lift anything more than 5 pounds. I had an MRI and I have 7 mm of bulging disc that is pinching a nerve which sends pain down my left leg and down under my foot. Standing for longer than 30 min hurts the middle of my back and I feel that my back is hanging on by a thread. Sitting down and lying down also hurts. I am going to order a body pillow to sleep with and I use the mekenzi excersises I spelled that worng but you can google it. They have u tube videos of excersises that helps the pain. Doctor told me to do yoga, pilates and swim. This helps strech your whole body and strengten your core. The water helps you float so your joints won't hurt. I tried acupuncture, physical theraphy and epedural shots. I'm still in pain and muscle relaxers and inflamation medication puts a band-aid on my problems. If the leg pain doesn't go away I'm going to start having to consider surgery. This is so painful and I'm sorry everyone else is having pain as well. My plan is to lose weight and strenthen my core and hope that the stabbing pain and the spasms eventually will go away. So until your pain goes away don't lift, run or bend forward. Try sleeping on your back and strech, strech, strech. Sorry if this was long. Good health to all. I am not a doctor but this is what I have gone through. Can't say if you have the same thing but if the sympotoms match than you might want tio consider going to the doctor.  
I cant relate perfectly to your story since about a year and a half ago i started suffering with the burning upper back pain, sometimes it around the left breast and also inside my breast. my doctors did all the blood tests and a Mri which all was normal. So i decided to check another doctor who suggest it might be fibroystic breast tissues and gastritis, so i was given omeprazole, aloe vera, ant acid and another herbal to deal with the acid of the stomach. Im almost in the second week of treatment and the pain has reduce even though it comes and go, but i still intend to do the mammogram and endoscopy at the end of the treatment which will give an accurate reading of whats happening. Good luck to everyone and if its worth it you can try checking to see if theres a problem with the stomach because that can cause pain around that area.
I am rading all of these and we are all slightly different. In my case I was in a car accident on August 8th which mad my neck svery sore however it has changed.  Ten days after I noticed that when my head is back and I cough both my arm go numb on the bottom all the way to my little fingers and they begin to spasm.  As well when I move my neck back and around I get a pain in the front of my shoulder as well as in my shoulder that is very strange. it doesn't las tvery long and isn't terrible but it is concerning.  Now when I put my head down to my chest it feels as thoug it is tearing my left trap muscle.  I am assuming it was from my accident  but what would cause such a strange pain.  Thanks!!
I have the same problem and its due to having aiair in your back, I live in wa so right now its cold, I sleep with a fan everyday even in winter and so you are asleep and I uncovered my back to turn to my right side and got a rush of cold air, according to my mom thats what caused it and I rubbed vapor rub on that spot and it help s a lil. I guess its just a matter of waiting for it to go away.
I have had this problem about 5 or 6 times in my life.  Each time the pain was severe, but would decrease in severity and finally go away after 5 or 6 days.  In the past I would wake up with the sharp pain under my shoulder blade.  I could reach back and dig my fist into the precise point where the pain was centralized.  When the pain was present there were certain movements that would set off a sharp burst of pain that would shock my whole upper body.  The most recent time that this happened (one week ago), I was sitting in my car doing nothing and suddenly this sharp pain just kicked in.  It was intense and caused me to tighten up my shoulder, neck, and arm on the right side of my body.  It was like some kind of spasm.  I drove the two miles home but it wasn't easy.  It hurt to turn the steering wheel even.  I had always thought that I made a wrong move in my sleep, but this was the first time I realized that the sudden onslaught was not related to any certain movement -- it happened suddenly while I wasn't doing anything at all.  Because the pain eventually goes away I've never gotten it checked.  I just came here cuz I was curious what it was and I still am not sure lol.  I'm a 36 year old male and I play a lot of sports (primarily dodgeball and beach volleyball and a little bit of basketball) so I always assumed it was related to this.
I am in the same boat..30yrs. old and have pain that is to the point of being unbearable..It's so bad I actually thought about just stabbing a knife in my back under the shoulder blade just to get it to stop. I am happy that some of you have reasonable docs that will help you with pain meds tho..my doctors won't and haven't done nothin as far as pain meds..I get test after test..after test..just to hear they can't find nothing. It's so fustrating at this point.. I'm in tears now as I type this. I can't bear the pain.
Dear all,

Does any of you have this pain upon swallowing as well?
Hello. I am a 16 and I play football for my high my high school. This whole week I have had a very tough time dealing with this very sharp pain in the back of my left shoulder and neck. It hurts to breathe, to bend over slightly, when I extend my arm infront of me as well as over my head. This pain started when I was at practice and we were doing drills where I had to push in an up and forward motion. Ever since then, my shoulder has really bothered me. The pain has gotten worse and I am afraid of having to cope with this pain for too long
hi i am john , 36 years old, i had a sharp pain in my left shoulder and neck and into my jaw when i breathed deeply, i thought it was nothing although painful but bareable, my wife pushed me into going to A&E to which they did an ecg, with in 20 mins of me been in A&E i was told i was been transfered to another hospital for emergency surgery to which they spent 2 hours putting stents in , it turns out i was having a heart attack, it didnt feel like i expected one to be.  any pain like this is worth just checking out ,
Try bouncing on a mini-trampoline for ten minutes a day.  Bouncing, not jumping.  I've been doing it for years now and it works.  There is a book you can buy on line called "The miracles of rebound exercise" by Al Carter.  This is one of the best kept secrets in the health industry.  If you have any questions e-mail me @ ***@****
I'm having similar complications as well. I'm assuming it came from sleeping in an awkward position. It began hurting a few days later. The pain initially started by a simple chest pain. Later the pain struck my left shoulder blade. It's like the pain is underneath the actual shoulder blade. It also hurts severely when I try to take deep breaths. However, I've noticed that when I stretch a certain way deep breathing is okay to do with no complications of pain. I've spoken with several people in the health profession and they've all said " continue to stretch it out." I've been doing so, but it still hurts.
I HAVE HAD THESE TYPES OF PAINS, AND AM SUCCESSFULLY MANAGING MY PAIN WITHOUT SURGERY.
1) See an orthopedic doctor or neurosurgeon for an MRI. These pains are symptoms of pinched nerves. Find out where it is coming from. The doctor will most likely tell you that you need surgery. In my case, it is a herniated disk in my neck (spinal stenosis). But I found out that the pain is not necessarily being caused by the stenosis. But rather, by muscles that have become "deformed" in reaction to my illness (posture, stress, physical accommodation, etc).
2) Ask your doctor to refer you to good Physical Therapist who has experience dealing with stenosis patients or anyone dealing with pinched nerves. They can show you exercises & stretches that help release the pressure on the nerves, and educate you on which muscles are affected and how. Get to know your body and where these chronic pains live every day, so that you can relieve the pain on your own, when the PT is not with you. My PT has saved my life. I still feel some pain now and then, but it's nothing in comparison to what I used to feel- only after 8 sessions. I also know that it will take time to heal a problem that has been brewing for years. So with physical therapy, you have to be a little patient. But surgery is more drastic, risky, and will leave scar tissue and other complications. With something as complicated as the human body, there is no real "quick fix". And please use meds with conservation and caution. They damage the liver while providing short-term relief. Try moist heat and stretching instead when possible.
I hope this helps!
I hope this helps!
Also want to add, that surgery is a necessity for some people. The physical therapist will evaluate you, to see how you present "clinically", meaning that when they aggravate the stenosis, it causes pain. But if they aggravate the stenosis and it does not cause the pain, it is coming from something else like muscular issues. Don't let the MRI image scare you into surgery without doing research and non-surgical options first. Surgery is also necessary if you start to lose strength in your muscles (you start dropping things, etc), or if your nerve conduction study comes back abnormal. Your doctor and physical therapist can also evaluate this.