Back & Neck Community
Shooting pain from shoulder up my neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Shooting pain from shoulder up my neck

I have been having severe shooting pains starting from my shoulder up to my neck and behind my left ear. They have also been through the whole back of my neck.  It gets so intense I sometimes feel light headed.  These pains have also been shooting down my left arm and sometimes in the back of my.  Does anyone know what maybe causing this?
Welcome to the Back and Neck Community.  The Community has been formed to provide assistance and support between individual members who have or are experiencing medical problems associated with the cervical and/or lumbar spine.
Please feel free to post any additional questions and/or concerns you may have regarding your symptoms and the medical treatment you are undergoing and the members of the community are available to assist you as needed.

The symptoms described in your post state that the "shooting pains" start from your shoulder and go up to your neck and behind your left ear.  Absent any significant trauma to your shoulder, it may be possible that the origin of your pain is in the cervical spine.
The vertebral bones and the intervertebral discs which cushion them and allow for the bending. twisting and other movements we make on a daily basis can degenerate over time with "wear and tear" as we age.  The discs may also slip through their outer protective covering and cause pressure to be placed on the exiting spinal nerves.
This could result in the symptoms you are describing.
The only way to determine the actual cause of your symptoms is to obtain medical evaluation and have baseline x-rays done to determine if a bony problem exists.  Depending on the results of your x-rays, the doctor may request an MRI to determine if there is disc herniation and if any of the nerves have been affected.
Make an appt with your doctor and have a clinical exam done.  He will elect to have the appropriate radiologic tests performed that will help him diagnose/treat your problems.

Best wishes -----
There was no trauma done to my shoulder.  And I had seen my family physcian a few months back.  He felt my shoulder and said that it was arthritis.  And that was then end of the visit.  It just maybe wear and tear as you had noted.  I'll wait a few months more and see how it goes.  If it is still quite painful I'll make another appt and have him do xrays.
Thanks so much for your input!
Went to my chiropractor a few weeks ago for my weely adjustment.  He started with my neck like always.  I wasnt complete relaxed and when he turned my  neck to the right shape pain starting from my shoulder up  past my left ear.  I can't turn my head without  having pain and stiffness.   Any  idea's on what this is and will it go away?