Back & Neck Community
Should I go to the dr for a bruised, possibly fractured tailbone?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Should I go to the dr for a bruised, possibly fractured tailbone?

I am a clutz and fell down about 10 stairs bouncing on my butt one morning about 3:30 a.m.  It hurts pretty much all the time...but of course like everyone else here it is more painful when I sit for a long time and when getting up from sitting or trying to sit down.  I am not sure if it is just bruised or fractured?  Or if there is different treatment between them?  If there is really anything a dr can do except tell me its fractured?  Reading some of the posts here I just need to sit on a stupid donut to relieve the pain and stop taking Ibuprofen right now because anti-inflamatory meds are bad for bone healing.  I sit 8 hrs a day at work at a computer and it really hurts bad by the time I get home in the evening.  I dont want to waste money going to the dr if there is nothing they can do....but I don't want to NOT go and miss out on fixing myself sooner.....ya know?  HELP!!
Blank
954005_tn?1304630205
I am a fellow tailbone pain sufferer...if you go on my profile page, you can look at some of my old posts, and see all the details of my story...a very long story.  My fall was severe, and I crushed the tip of my coccyx, and permanently damaged my sacrum---which I did not find out was permanent until after my coccygectomy surgery to remove the bottom 2 sections of my coccyx...in an attempt to fully relieve my pain.  My surgeon failed to tell me about the way my sacrum was basically "jarred" out of place when I fell...so I am in excruciating pain constantly.  
I could write a book...so please look at some of my old posts, and then msg me with any questions you may have.  You definitely need to get an X-ray first of all...possibly other imaging also...(I've had bone scans and MRIs also).  
This is a horrible injury to deal with...and I am VERY experienced and knowledgeable on the subject, having researched it since my original fall on Christmas morning of 2007.  So please ask me anything:)
Also, another great website for info is www.coccyx.org... a lot of great info and other ppls stories.
Hope to hear from you:)
Alison
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
620923_tn?1405964489
Hi...deff go to the dr, but this area will take time to heal....I bruised mine and it was a good yr...keep in mind I am a slow healer to begin with.

Post an update once u see the dr.

Good luck
"selma"
Blank
1503566_tn?1290281728
Def go get that checked! Good Luck to you!
Blank
1502922_tn?1289919370
Thanks girls!!  I just made an appt for tomorrow.  I will let you know what they say!!
Blank
620923_tn?1405964489
Good luck : )
Blank
954005_tn?1304630205
I am a fellow tailbone pain sufferer...if you go on my profile page, you can look at some of my old posts, and see all the details of my story...a very long story.  My fall was severe, and I crushed the tip of my coccyx, and permanently damaged my sacrum---which I did not find out was permanent until after my coccygectomy surgery to remove the bottom 2 sections of my coccyx...in an attempt to fully relieve my pain.  My surgeon failed to tell me about the way my sacrum was basically "jarred" out of place when I fell...so I am in excruciating pain constantly.  
I could write a book...so please look at some of my old posts, and then msg me with any questions you may have.  You definitely need to get an X-ray first of all...possibly other imaging also...(I've had bone scans and MRIs also).  
This is a horrible injury to deal with...and I am VERY experienced and knowledgeable on the subject, having researched it since my original fall on Christmas morning of 2007.  So please ask me anything:)
Also, another great website for info is www.coccyx.org... a lot of great info and other ppls stories.
Hope to hear from you:)
Alison
Blank
1502922_tn?1289919370
I went to the doctor and basically I am just a weenie because it isn't broken or fractured....just badly bruised.  He gave me some 800 mg ibuprofen and a muscle relaxer to take at night to help me sleep. I cannot do pain pills at all b/c that is the main reason I feel to begin with.  LOL

@ optimus22mac-Wow U have it so much worse than me....So sorry!!  I can't imagine the pain you are in at all!!  Thanks so much for the information it is greatly appreciated.
Blank
620923_tn?1405964489
Thanks for the update....u r no a weenie...a bruised tail bone can hurt for quite some time...and hurt like heck too!! So it is diff to know the diff unless u go : )

Take care

"selma"
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Back & Neck Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703