Back & Neck Community
Small knot on back of neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Small knot on back of neck

I have a small knot on the right side of the back of my neck about 1 1/2 inches down from my hairline. It doesnt move but is somewhat tender in pain when I touch it, but not very painful. Rating the pain from 1-10 with 10 being the worse in pain, I give it a 2. I discovered it just yesterday and was shocked of course. I am a little worried about it and wonder if it is anything I should be worried about. My husband says we should monitor it for a few days and if it becomes larger or pain increases that we will see a doctor. Is it common for a knot to form on someone's neck? What could the knot be? Should I go to a doctor immediately? These are my concerns and what do you advise? Thank you so much for your time.