Back & Neck Community
Sore neck after drinking alcohol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Sore neck after drinking alcohol

Whenever my boyfriend drinks alcohol, his neck muscles get sore and painful. It generally lasts around 10 minutes. It doesn't take a lot for the symptoms to start and when he drinks, he doesn't get tipsy or drunk.

Google only seems to give answers about cancer but these are his neck muscles, not his lymph nodes. Anyone experience something similar or have any input?

Thanks!
Stop drinking = no more headaches for ten minutes!
He doesn't drink anymore because of these symptoms. I was curious if anyone knew WHY they might be happening..
I experience the same symptons as your boyfriend.  I've learned that I cannot drink ANY rum, malted beverages (such as Smirnoff Ice; Mike's Hard Lemonade, etc.) and any "cheap", no-name vodkas.  I have no reaction when I drink beer, well-vodkas, tequilas, wines, or whiskeys.  

I was reading about gluten-free diets and they listed what alcohols are gluten-free and to stay away from flavored alcohol and malted beverages.  So I thought maybe it had something to do with the gluten in these drinks but on second thought, I get no reaction when I drink beer and beer has gluten in it.  

I'm trying to find out why also and that's when I came across your post.  

Best of luck!
i have the same thing! if drink a beer quickly or  have a shot as my first drink, about 1 min later my neck gets tense and sore for a bout 5 mins.
i've always wondered why.
Yep same thing happens to me! It's happened since I began sinking but mine lasts for the entire time I drink. My mothers a nurse and she says I'm a hypochondriac but looking on the web, it seems like a Ligit thing. Some people say it cancer, brain tumor, allergies, hodgkins, etc and I'm starting to get real worried. If anyone has ears back from their docter please let me know!!
I have it too... but it's not usually when I'm drinking. Moreso at the end of the night and tends to be for pretty much the entire next day! Not pleasant. I manage a wine retail store and wine bar so drinking a bit is usually difficult to avoid. Guess I'm going to have to find a new gig!!

Good luck to everyone else with your respective pains :/
I've got the same issues as you. My neck aches most of the following day after having a beer the night before. Have you found out why drinking makes the neck ache?
I would imagine that your body does not make the enzymes that metabolize alcohol, and that a can of beer for you is like a sixpack to others (as a simple analogy).

Many people, especially those descended from northern Asian races, which includes the American Indian, do not possess the genetics to manufacture these enzymes.

People without this ability develop so-called "asian flush" -- a reddening of the skin after consuming alcohol, and they develop hangovers sooner and from less alcohol than others.

Also, people prone to migraine also are more likely to develop the hangover headache after alcohol.

I suspect that headache is similar to a hangover, and I would recommend that you stay away from alcohol in any form.
After mixing way too many different types of liquor last night even I woke up perfectly fine. I don't get hangovers so I guess I really don't know what a hangover feels like, but later today I started getting pains in my ribs, back and neck. Like I got into a fight and lost. It's so confusing...
Comments like this do not help.   I have an issue with pain on the back of my neck that feels like nerve issues.  Some of us like to drink, and have very sevear reprocussions from just a little drink.  We are aware that it should not be so sevear and would like to know why.  Your diagnosis of "stop drinking" is not an explanation, so stop making them.