Back & Neck Community
Spinal Tap

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Spinal Tap

I had a spinal tap on June 3rd. While they were filling in the 3rd vial the headache began. Everywhere I look i'm told that the headaches usually start after 24-48 hours not during the procedure. I had to lie in my van to get home and have been in bed ever since. I have DDD and a herniated disk and some arthritis in my lower back as well. I can only lay in the supine position. Even then my head is pounding. I have been drinking Mountain Dew and the doctor prescribed some caffiene tablets and something else for the pain yesterday. It's not helping. Today I'm feeling my whole spine all the way to the tailbone is burning. Especially in the middle of my back. It hurts to lift my head even an inch and my back just burns. I can't lay on my sides or my stomach and I usually can't lay on my back because of past back problems. I'm told to just take the meds and wait until Monday. I'm wondering if I should wait that long. By Sunday my husband is leaving for ND and I won't have any help with my 3 kids or a way to drive when my head is in severe pain when I lift it. Any help on what I could or should do would be most appreciated.
I hate not being able to move. I hate being in this pain. And I hope to god it was worth it. I don't want to be bed ridden anymore. Anyone know any way that I can relieve this pain?
Thanks in advance
Spinal headaches usually occur when cerebrospinal fluid leaks through the puncture hole in the membrane that surrounds the spinal cord.  I imagine it is possible to have leakage during the procedure as well as 24-48 hours later.
Was the doctor performing your procedure aware of your headache at the time?
The fact that you have not had any significant relief may indicate the need for an epidural blood patch -- a small amount of your blood is injected into the space over the puncture hole to form a clot that will seal the hole and restore normal pressure in the spinal fluid to relieve your headache.   Caffiene tablets could be effective for some post tap headaches to constrict the blood vessels in your head and relieve the headache, but it appears they have not produced significant relief for you,
If there is no evidence of other factors contributing to your headache (prior history of migraines etc), a blood patch may be indicated.
This is the start of the weekend and you should contact the doctor's office and inform him of your continuing problems and the lack of any family support after Sunday.  He may want to arrange some other method of pain relief.
Hope you can get some help soon ---