SpinalEpidural Lipomatosis - non-obesity
Non-obesity related Spinal epidural Lipomatosis: I was diagnosised last week. I'm 30 lbs max overweight, 52 yr old woman. I'm having symptoms of both legs numbness, tingling, heaviness, weakness, MRI shows spinal stenosis from L-3 to S1. The pain is worse than my fibromyalgia pain. My surgeon said he'd do surgery, but it may cause more pain, and I should wait til I start losing the use of my legs. Is this the best option?? From what I've read surgery can be successful. There soesn't seem to be an answer for what's causing it..no steroid use or spinal pain before now.
I don't know what to do. Surgery? or not?
Hi there!

If there is an actual external compression of the neural structures responsible for the symptoms, surgery would be advisable. Though the surgery is high risk it has good chances of success. I see no point in waiting to further decline. I would suggest seeking a second opinion from another neuro-surgeon with the already taken recent MRI images.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!