Back & Neck Community
Stiffness from fusion and hardware

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Stiffness from fusion and hardware

I had spondylolisthesis in 11-2008 and went through all of the injections, nerve blocks, etc...After the disc slipped 100% I could not even walk and the pain down the right leg was unbearable. So they did lumbar surgery, L3,L4,L5,S1 fusion (level 3 fusion) titanium, 8 screws and the cage. The disc was fixed and now that pain down the leg,etc. is gone but I can't stand the stiffness,etc. from the fusion and hardware. I now have a Spinal Cord Stimulator and it was not put in the right place so all of this will have to get corrected. The question is:  Does anybody experience the stiffness and feeling like somebody has shoved a pole right in the area where the fusion and hardware is? The brace helps and the TENS Unit helps - also my meds, but I wanted a permanent fix, so we shall see what happens with the stimulator. I am just so sick of this pain and stiffness from the fusion and hardware. Help!! Doxie08 It really does hurt big time!!!!!
Tags: stiffness
I'm so sorry for your pain!! What grande was your spondylolisthesis? I have one too at l5/s1 which is a grade 2-3. I had a one level fusion with instrumentation 7 months ago. Certain activities will prompt my fusion site stiffness that had not been there prior to surgery. I energy tap, use essential oils, and take hot baths to help eliviate my stiffness. I take ibphrophen if all that doesn't help and then I just grin and bear it.  Hopefully by a year when my fusion has taken place fully, it will no longer hurt. Maybe the same will ring true for you. But you had a 3 level fusion. Take care
I had a fusion 3 yrs ago L4-L5 S1 with  rods and screws i have the same stiffness you talk about and i hate it .. ive been going to a pain dr since my surgery injections dont work for me and i just had another MRI i go on the 18th so he can tell me what the next step is ... So i feel for ya  I use to be very active and i still work in the factory i live on Norco  just to take the edge off but miss all the things i use to do  I have to take pain meds before getting out of bed cause the stiffness is so bad   after sleeping  or standing   p;ease keep in touch and we can swap info  on this  
hi
same surgery same hard ware
only l4 and l5
but i have stifness too on the right side where surgery was done
I HATE THE STIFFNESS TOO
you are not alone
good luck too
I'm sorry you are having pain! I had my fusion surgery in Jan. I no longer have pain, but when I go to store and walk I have stiffness and numbness in my lift side and hip. I just wondered if that goes away!

I also have to turn when I sleep every 2 or 3 hours, seems like I can't sleep in one place as long.

As I said I am thank full I don't have the pain in my hip and going down my leg.
I had l5-s1 fusion for Spondylitis almost 20 years ago. I would advise anyone to avoid surgery as long as possible. I too, have much stiffness after most activities that involve bending over. I have to exercise three times a week to keep the discomfort to a minimum. I do not take pain meds except ibuprofen during my menstrual as the back pain is considerable due to the surgery. Initially, after the surgery, I got acupuncture that was very effective in relieving the stiffness. I think I'm going to do it again!  I still get sciatic pain about once a month but it is alleviated once I do my exercises for a day or two consecutively. I had my surgery at 25 years old. I was never given physical therapy prior and was told by the surgeon, come back when the pain is unbearable and I'll give you the surgery. I believe that to manage back pain, you need to eat right, stay a healthy weight and do daily mobility (stretching) exercises and keep your overall body strong. Currently, I'm annoyed at having to turn in bed at night every hour or so to find a comfortable position. I'm wondering if it's arthritis from the surgery? I think after back surgery or even if you decide not to have it, you will not be perfectly pain free. There will always be some level of discomfort. I just deal with it. I'm a personal trainer and try to live my life normally.  
Good luck in managing your pain. Be careful with pain meds, my ex-husband was given so many he became addicted, his quality of life was reduced and the pain never subsided. I use, heat, ice, icey hot cream  and stretching to avoid that trap!