Back & Neck Community
Strong lower back pain after sleeping, but lasts all day.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

About a month ago, I woke up with severe lower back pain.  I couldn't lie down, sit or stand without pain.  The only thing which helped at all was constantly moving/shifting.  After about 30-45 minutes the pain went down to more of a dull pain, and finally, after about an hour and a half, it was down to just a constant background ache, something I noticed but that didn't cause any real inconvenience.  This cycle has continued every day for the last month, and it's getting just a small bit worse each day.  The pain during the day still isn't anything like what I experience upon waking, but I notice it a little more each day.  During any part of the day, if I take my hands and press on the area of my lower back, right around my waist, I cause a sharp twinge that makes me draw in my breath.

I have a sleep number bed, and throughout the month I've tried numbers ranging from 30-100, with no change, so the firmness of my mattress doesn't seem to be the problem.  I've searched the forums here and found someone who posted something somewhat similar on the urology board, but they stated that, after urinating, their pain stops.  I urinate first thing in the morning, despite the back pain, and receive no relief after doing so.  The severe pain continues for 30-45 minutes, and only then begins to lessen, even though I've not urinated again, so I don't think that's the problem.  I was in the hospital last week for a video EEG, and my back pain was less during the 2 mornings I woke up after sleeping in a hospital bed.  My best guess is that this occured because I slept with the hospital bed at a slight incline, whereas my bed at home is flat.  As soon as I came home, the severity increased again.

I'm a side sleeper, and I didn't change anything between the time that I didn't wake up with low back pain and the time I did.  One morning I was fine and the next I started having these issues.  I didn't change the number on my mattress, my pillow, the way I slept, nothing.  I went to bed one night just fine, and had strong back pain when I woke up.  I'm an epileptic, but during the few days before the pain started I hadn't had a seizure which might have thrown my back out.  I also hadn't stumbled/fallen or anything like that.  It just wasn't there and then it was.  I've never had trouble with my back in the past, except for the occasional minor back ache that a couple of aspirin took care of.

I'd appreciate any input on this issue, since I'm not getting more than 5 hours of sleep per night before being forced to get up due to the pain.  Thanks for any and all help.

Amy
You can try this it may help. I use to have some back pain as well. 2 mabe 3 times a week lay flat on the floor with your hands under your back and lift your legs straight up in the air do mabe 7-10 reps or so about 2 mabe 3 sets. Dont do them every day mabe 2 or 3 times a week. It is an old military exercice. Allso they say sometimes sleeping on the floor on your back aligns your back and that may help as well to try that for mabe 2 or 3 times a week. I tried that and my back seems to look a lot straighter than it use to. Good luck I hope this works for you God bless.
I started having the same symptoms over the last two months. I have had lower back problems in the past, but only after lifting something incorrectly or picking up leaves for many hours. It's just awful to get out bed and walking around for the first half hour or so.

One thing that has helped me over the last few days is the following: before you get out of bed, lay flat on the bed and bend your kness about halfway. Then twist your knees in one direction and the rest of your body in the other direction. Do it slowly and gently and in both directions. I have found that this makes a huge difference, ie the sharp pain is not there, only discomfort. I also try to twist my torso in all directions so as to stretch out my lower back a little bit in all directions, before getting up.

I also tried ibuprofen+aleve, for 2-3 days, and that helps, but I don't want to depend pain killers. A lot of the stuff I've read says this may be caused by lack of exercise, but I noticed that for me it gets worse with exercise. I maintain an exercise program, so this my case is not due to inactivity.

Hope this helps,

Juan