Back & Neck Community
Sudden onset neck pain overnight / Been almost a year its been there

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

My doctor sent me to get x-rays. The notes on that were it looks like some sort of major spasm, gave me muscle relaxers and 600mg ibuprofen. They did virtually nothing.
I went to a chiropractor 5 times, each time it felt completely better for literally 5 minutes. Then it went back to normal bad pain I have.  
I went back to the doctor, she sent me to physical therapy and after this one time, it was worse than ever. I didn't go back in fear. At the end of PT they said it's a very very peculiar case and the stretching they did seemed to tighten my neck and limit the mobility even more.

So I've been going to acupuncture once or twice a week and so far that helps with looking left and right, but any sort of angle my neck is incapable without severe pain. I want a long term solution, I've even considered saving up for stem cell therapy or surgery, but those are absolute last resort.
My doctor says he won't give me an MRI and it's nothing major, I am going to switch doctors soon. But does anyone know what the cause could be? My blood panel came back normal.

No fever, just can't turn left or right without some pain and definitely cannot turn and look up with my head tilted up and looking at an angle without a nasty shooting pain. They didn't suspect nerves, but I don't know what it could possibly be. No pain anywhere else, I don't feel a tingle and no static falling asleep type pain in arms or anything. I've switched pillows, beds and even slept on a fouton. The pain on average when looking left/right is a 6 and at an angle, maybe an 8 or 9 of the worst neck pain I've ever felt. ie; stiff neck, sore neck from sports or something similar.
Tags: Neck pain
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm kind of shocked your Dr will not order and MRI. You really need to have that done because it will show more then an x ray will.
I wish I could tell you what's going on but I'm not sure.Do you remember a fall or any other kind of accident before this pain started? Do you work at a computer with your head down a lot? I'm asking because any of these things can effect the muscles. Of course and accident could have caused and break or a fracture.
More testing is what you need. In the mean time you may want to ask your Dr about prescription pain medication if over the counter medication is doing nothing. This might help you until you get a diagnosis. Take then sparingly though if you do decide to take prescription pain meds.
I don't want to take pain medications I'd rather deal with the pain than be loopy or mentally affected by any kinds of meds. But the only thing I can think of is doing neck stretches or trying to crack my neck and it tweaked something.
Anyone have any other ideas?