Back & Neck Community
Surgery or no?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Surgery or no?

I'm 24 years old, and I have been having back pain since I was 13.  I have no idea what it is from, or what caused it, but I always knew something was wrong.  For years, no one had any idea, other than just telling me to lose some weight, strengthen my stomach muscles, and stretch.  Those seemed to alleviate some of the pain, but not all of it.

I have had episodes where I feel like my back is having contractions with wave after wave of pain, or having an ice pick stabbed into my spine and left there.  I have gone to chiropractors, massage therapists, and on many occasions the ER simply so they will shoot me up with drugs so that I can sleep and breathe and even lay without feeling the excruciating pain that radiates constantly.

I am currently in an episode that leaves my only comfortable position to be lying, and even while doing that I get shooting pain down my legs and through my hips.  Just this year, I finally had my first MRI while in the ER and found I have a bulging disc at L5 and one between L3 and L4.  

I have taken vicoden, percoset, had steroid shots, and taken anti inflammatories.  I have been soaking in hottubs, icing, and using an inversion table, and all of these seem to do nothing for me.  I am scared to try PT for the simply fact that trying to touch my toes leaves me feeling like my back is about to seize at any moment, and won't let go.

I am so close to simply going for it and trying laser surgery to have the inner jelly cut off, the disc closed back up, and praying it brings me the relief I have been pleading for day in and day out for the last 11 years.  I don't know what else to do!  

If you have any suggestions about what else I should try, or if I should go for the surgery, please give me your opinion!!!
http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Health-Conditions/Back-Spasm.aspx\\http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/back-spasm
http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/back-spasm/causes

I was wondering if anyone has mentioned back spasms.  Some of your info led me to wonder this.  I have had them and they are very painful. I have not had them for many years and have no clue why.  I am just grateful.