Back & Neck Community
Surgery to replace 3 discs in neck?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Surgery to replace 3 discs in neck?

recently was told by a consultant rumatologist that I have moderate comprssion of 3 discs in the neck and a bone spur in one of the spaces. I am having problems with walking, pain down my right leg and sometimes my right arm shakes. My GP has refereed me to a Nurologist and has informed me that I will need to have surgery to have 3 discs replaced in my neck.

I am really worried, can anyone tell me if this is an option I should be considering as I have never heard of disc replacment in the neck
check out the discussion on "has anyone had cervical disc replacement surgery?"
I am having ADR on 5/6 next week. I had fusion on 6/7 5 yrs ago and have been in pain ever since. I would never do fusion again.  We didn't talk about multi level since it does not apply, but there is some discussion under the above ref.  My Dr. has done around 60 this year with great results.  I check back in after sx and let everyone know.  
I agree with the last post.  I had a two level fusion C5-C7 in Nov 2006.  I have been in constant pain since.  I can no longer work, I am in pain management taking very high levels of pain meds.  My doctor has told me that the disk above and below the fusion will eventually have to fused also.  If there is anyway they can do a disk replacement instead of fusion I would check it out.  Good luck.
The above posts are the same for me. I have 2 fusions at the same location c3-c6 with no success. I am, as well, unable to work. I have headaches daily, right arm shaking, numbness in both hands and weakness in both arms. I have no idea what is going to happen with me as I have a metal plate with screws and nothing in between the vertbrea. I had bone spurs pushing on my spinal cord and new ones that have formed at c1-c2 and the metal plate is pushing on the vertbrea at c3. When I asked my surgeon about disc replacements he said that disk replacements are not done on multi levels, only one level. So make sure you double check with you doctor on the success rate and or do some investigating on the internet try understandingspinesurgery.com (was referred to this site by someone here and its very good). However, I don't know that I would do the fusion at the beginning knowing the outcome I have had. But, knowing that bone is pushing on my spinal cord - could I be paralized.
Good Luck and keep us updated.