Back & Neck Community
Swelling at incision site after anterior lumbar fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I had an anterior lumbar fusion (L5, S1) 3 weeks ago. The incision was made just below my stomach and to the left. I still have a large bump on the left side of my abdomen, which sticks out about 1.5 inches more than the other side. Its slightly sensitive to the touch. Is this swelling normal, and if so, when can I expect the swelling to go away?
Mine was swollen and a little sensitive too, my neck and my back. I'd give it a little while longer and if the swelling doesn't go down some, go see your Doctor. If you feel like you're having more pain there than you should go back sooner. You should be going back for a post-op appointment pretty soon, shouldn't you?
Yes I'm going back next week, so I will definitely bring it up then.  It just seems strange that the swelling hasn't gone down at all. I'm sure it doesn't help that my brace rubs directly in that area which is probably irritating it.
Did the lump ever go away I just had fusion s1 l5 l4 and two months after surgery I now have a huge bump 12mm side to side and 7mm up and down. had steroid shots, laperscopic surgery to c if its a hurnia and it wasn't. I have gone to six Dr and haven't gotten a answer yet all of them have said they have never seen anything like it.